Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

15,000-year-old archaeology site among oldest

Still Waters

One of the oldest archaeological sites in the Americas has been discovered in western Idaho, according to a study published today in the journal Science.

Radiocarbon dates show that people were creating tools and butchering animals in Cooper’s Ferry between 15,000 and 16,000 years ago, making Cooper’s Ferry a rare and important addition to the handful of archaeological sites that are upending the traditional theory of the peopling of the Americas.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/culture/2019/08/coopers-landing-idaho-site-americas-oldest/

The early occupation of America

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/365/6456/891

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

Looks convincing that the "Clovis first" model  is not quite correct.  We need @Piney to put his blessings on this.

Good find, @Still Waters  and thanks

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Looks convincing that the "Clovis first" model  is not quite correct. 

It hasn't thought to be correct among academia for almost 15 years. 

We were discussing a earlier coastal route at Smithsonian and the other museum I worked at all the time. We just needed more proof.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meadowcroft_Rockshelter

@Swede  can throw some thoughts in on it

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Piney said:

It hasn't thought to be correct among academia for almost 15 years. 

We were discussing a earlier coastal route at Smithsonian and the other museum I worked at all the time. We just needed more proof.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meadowcroft_Rockshelter

@Swede  can throw some thoughts in on it

Piney, it's a bit counterintuitive to think that the oldest Paleoindians finds were on the east coast.

Does it suggest to you that there must be undiscovered sites all across America, west to east, that are older? And are they sure they are Paleoindian?

Salem NH has what is called, America's Stonehenge, although they do not know for sure who those peoples were. They think they were Phoenicians. My son thinks they are wrong.

very interesting but perplexing at the same time. And thanks, Pinester.

Edited by Earl.Of.Trumps
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Does it suggest to you that there must be undiscovered sites all across America, west to east, that are older? And are they sure they are Paleoindian?

I'll put it this way. The Algic languages Algonquian and Yurok-Wiyot  were completely split in half by the Channeled Scablands (i.e. the Missoula Catastrophic Floods) 

Algonquians started out (genetically) as 7 people on the Columbia Plateau. Probably trapped there by the same flood.

You had massive floods like this all across the continent which probably buried everything low above Virginia.

Glacier flooding buried a lot up North but you do find migration patterns coming up from South and Central America. Across Texas and to Florida, then up the East Coast again right after Clovis.

Site destruction has been common for centuries. We only have about 1/32 Native sites actually surviving town building, looting and people not caring or knowing. It's as bad as the Devonian fossil record. 

On the East Coast in the Pine Barren Areas which were not affected by the floods you find a smooth transition from Clovis to Early Archaic but nobody has really dug deep enough or uncovered enough sites in those areas (which are protected from digging) to find anything.

Then funding. Archaeologists in the U.S who are not BLM are working from their own pockets unless they are teaching or working for a builder (which they cover **** up for a kick) 

I'm half awake so I'm giving you a "meh" explanation of all the different factors, but that's the gist. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Salem NH has what is called, America's Stonehenge, although they do not know for sure who those peoples were. The think they were Phoenicians. My son thinks they are wrong.

He's right. It's Colonial. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

What it comes down to Earl is money. Nobody funds anything and dig assistants and Cultural Resource Officers are all volunteers. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Piney said:

I'll put it this way. The Algic languages Algonquian and Yurok-Wiyot  were completely split in half by the Channeled Scablands (i.e. the Missoula Catastrophic Floods) 

Algonquians started out (genetically) as 7 people on the Columbia Plateau. Probably trapped there by the same flood.

You had massive floods like this all across the continent which probably buried everything low above Virginia.

Glacier flooding buried a lot up North but you do find migration patterns coming up from South and Central America. Across Texas and to Florida, then up the East Coast again right after Clovis.

Site destruction has been common for centuries. We only have about 1/32 Native sites actually surviving town building, looting and people not caring or knowing. It's as bad as the Devonian fossil record. 

On the East Coast in the Pine Barren Areas which were not affected by the floods you find a smooth transition from Clovis to Early Archaic but nobody has really dug deep enough or uncovered enough sites in those areas (which are protected from digging) to find anything.

Then funding. Archaeologists in the U.S who are not BLM are working from their own pockets unless they are teaching or working for a builder (which they cover **** up for a kick) 

I'm half awake so I'm giving you a "meh" explanation of all the different factors, but that's the gist. 

Hell of a "gist", Piney. Thanks. I had forgotten about the flooding. 

And my son will be happy to know he has your blessings :) Danka

Edited by Earl.Of.Trumps
  • Thanks 1