Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New Israel-Lebanon war on horizon?

Sir Smoke aLot

For years Israel was using Lebanon and Lebanese airspace to attack targets in Syria and for whatever role IDF wanted. They had no respect for Lebanese sovereignty, claim supported by hundreds of IDF's military flights over the country.

This was protested over the years by Lebanese authorities but to no effect, UN merely ''called'' on respect towards relevant resolutions and for restraint of both sides.

In recent years situation in Lebanon has shifted greatly in support of resistance to Israel, right now we have most of government officials standing united in condemnation of Israeli most recent actions, actions for which Hezbollah chief said there will be retaliation.

Major role in shifting of majority in Lebanon (which now gives support to Hezbollah) comes from successful fight against isis and other terrorist groups which Hezbollah conducted alongside Lebanese army over eastern Lebanese border. It was also efficient fight and Lebanon was spared the horrors which we've seen in Syria and elsewhere in the region. But another important factor in this growing influence of Hezbollah comes also from Israeli actions, which were also the reason why Hezbollah was formed back in the 1980's (result of aggression and occupation of southern Lebanon and atrocities against Lebanese civilians).

Since 2006 there was relative calmness in direct relationship between Israel and Lebanon but Israel has effectively ended it by using drones and targeting of infrastructure and people in Lebanon some days ago. LINK to article on Jerusalem Post.

Nasrallah (Hezbollah leader) reply was that they will retaliate for this and for killing of two Hezbollah members in Syria. They were killed in attack for which Israel states was done to prevent attack on Israel? As usual no proof other than usual speculations and accusations which came from Israel.

Today Israeli military vehicle was destroyed by Hezbollah in occupied region of Sheba Farms, first attack since 2015 or 2016. It was done from within occupied territory. Israel has responded by shelling of the area ''from which the attack on it's vehicle originated''. Casualties are not confirmed so far.

Two days prior to this Hezbollah attack IDF planted mock up vehicle with plastic dolls near separation lines, probably hoping that Hezbollah will target those vehicles LINK.

EDHgLP9WsAUN3Wa?format=jpg&name=360x360

It seems to be miscalculation as the move was mocked in Lebanese press and Hezbollah attacked army base within occupied territory, LINK to article about recent attack.

After years of using Lebanese airspace to attack both Syrian and Hezbollah targets in Syria Israel has made error when it allowed adventure with drones, out of which one resulted in damage to Hezbollah media building.

As i see it the bully got few hits on his face. Hits which were provoked for quite some time now. By it's targeting of locations in Syria, Iraq, Lebanon, Gaza and threats towards Iran it was realistic to expect that Israel will get retaliation attack on it's troops. Media outcries have already began as if this was act of aggression by Hezbollah with zero mention of Israeli violations over the years in which only in Syria there were hundreds of attacks.

We will see how situation develops and i am interested in the fate of people in military vehicle which was shot by Hezbollah but there are no clear statements so far.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Sir Smoke aLot said:

As i see it the bully got few hits on his face.

Wait until the U.S. collapses and see how far they get. :yes:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Piney said:

Wait until the U.S. collapses and see how far they get. :yes:

You actually want them to resort to nuking the poor neighbors?  Say it ain't so! ;) 

2 hours ago, Sir Smoke aLot said:

After years of using Lebanese airspace to attack both Syrian and Hezbollah targets in Syria Israel has made error when it allowed adventure with drones, out of which one resulted in damage to Hezbollah media building.

The only thing that has changed here is that the Iranian's holding Hizbullah's leash have need for their dog to try and bite.  Lebanon is mocking, you say?  If this party gets started they'll be mocking from a moonscape of what used to be cities.

Just now, and then said:

You actually want them to resort to nuking the poor neighbors?  Say it ain't so! ;) 

I want to see the whole Middle East take itself out and get used as a landfill for the rest of the world. :yes:

And if they are stupid enough to use nukes. Good riddance! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

< sigh > 

For years Israel was using Lebanon and Lebanese airspace to attack targets in Syria and for whatever role IDF wanted. They had no respect for Lebanese sovereignty, claim supported by hundreds of IDF's military flights over the country.

This was protested over the years by Lebanese authorities but to no effect, UN merely ''called'' on respect towards relevant resolutions and for restraint of both sides.

For "Lebanese authorities", read "Syrian authorities". Recall, if you will, that Lebannon was under Syrian military control for 30 years until relatively recently. 

Major role in shifting of majority in Lebanon (which now gives support to Hezbollah)

Yes, because Hezbollah has taken control of the government. It has 17 out of 30 cabinet seats. As Syria withdrew, Hezbollah stepped in to fill the void. 

As i see it the bully got few hits on his face. Hits which were provoked for quite some time now. By it's targeting of locations in Syria, Iraq, Lebanon, Gaza and threats towards Iran it was realistic to expect that Israel will get retaliation attack on it's troops.

Syria is at war with Israel. Iran is sending troops into Syria, and they have launched attacks against Israel. As for Iraq and Lebanon.... can you tell me when the last time they where attacked by Israel was ? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Piney said:

I want to see the whole Middle East take itself out and get used as a landfill for the rest of the world. :yes:

And if they are stupid enough to use nukes. Good riddance! 

There's always that pesky law of unintended consequences.  When the neighbors literally want you and your offspring dead due to a fanatical religious obligation, taking a few million with you doesn't seem so bad. 

4 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

< sigh > 

For "Lebanese authorities", read "Syrian authorities". Recall, if you will, that Lebannon was under Syrian military control for 30 years until relatively recently. 

Yes, because Hezbollah has taken control of the government. It has 17 out of 30 cabinet seats. As Syria withdrew, Hezbollah stepped in to fill the void. 

Syria is at war with Israel. Iran is sending troops into Syria, and they have launched attacks against Israel. As for Iraq and Lebanon.... can you tell me when the last time they where attacked by Israel was ? 

If Hizballah overreaches on their reprisal we can answer that one to the minute.  Israel has been preparing for this for weeks and is set on a hair trigger.  The real question to be answered is whether Soleimani has the authority to start such a war on his own.  A war at a time when a U.S. president could use it to attack his toys at home.  No matter how it plays out, this will not be a repeat of 2006.  Those whose pride is in the Hezzies are going to have to find a new hero.  

Just now, and then said:

There's always that pesky law of unintended consequences.  When the neighbors literally want you and your offspring dead due to a fanatical religious obligation, taking a few million with you doesn't seem so bad. 

When the Jews controlled Yemen, they killed every Christian they could get their hands on. Then the Muslims killed them. Then the Christians killed the Muslims. Then, during the 40s, the Muslims killed the Jews again. Then they all started killing each other again, Christians, Jews and Muslims. 

Every religion there has a fanatical religious obligation!  :blink:

Actually, when it comes to tossing nukes. I think India and Pakistan will be the first 2 whistleheads to make that mistake. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, and then said:

oh, please, and then. Like euro jews going into muslim land to make a jewish state isn't based on complete religious nut-cakery :P

And the jews respected the lives of the displaced peoples they stole land and homes from? LOL! again, please. So the muslims reacted in kind. 

You really think that the anger and angst from muslims is so unwarranted, like the jews in the levant are righteous people.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Piney said:

When the Jews controlled Yemen, they killed every Christian they could get their hands on. Then the Muslims killed them. Then the Christians killed the Muslims. Then, during the 40s, the Muslims killed the Jews again. Then they all started killing each other again, Christians, Jews and Muslims. 

Every religion there has a fanatical religious obligation!  :blink:

Actually, when it comes to tossing nukes. I think India and Pakistan will be the first 2 whistleheads to make that mistake. 

Very good points, especially the one about Pakistan. we all tend to forget they have the bomb. Silent but deadly. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

...... So the muslims reacted in kind. 

Yeah, three times. And got their bottoms spanked on each occasion. 

And if Iran/Syria stir up trouble on the Lebanese border, they will get spanked again ! 

Edited by RoofGardener
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

You really think that the anger and angst from muslims is so unwarranted, like the jews in the levant are righteous people.

They're free to be as dead as they choose.  Some, at least, seem to want to avoid it: https://www.jewishpress.com/news/breaking-news/bahrain-tells-citizens-to-leave-lebanon/2019/09/01/ 

I'd say no one has clean hands in this mess but 70 years of building and benefitting the world is a side civilized people should encourage as opposed to the other side's cult of death they want to spread around the world.  That's just me, though.

3 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

Yeah, three times. And got their bottoms spanked on each occasion. 

And if Iran/Syria stir up trouble on the Lebanese border, they will get spanked again ! 

We have people here like SSaL that seem to actually be cheering on the Lebanese to attack Israel and southern Lebanon is going to basically be eradicated, root and branch once the Hezzies start launching missiles that HIT Israeli infrastructure.  There isn't going to be time for niceties.  Whole neighborhoods will be flattened as fast as it can be accomplished.  The dead will be counted in thousands, not hundreds.  Israel should use the occasion to create a type of DMZ to their north where the only weapons that can be hidden are small arms.

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, and then said:

We have people here like SSaL that seem to actually be cheering on the Lebanese to attack Israel and southern Lebanon is going to basically be eradicated, root and branch once the Hezzies start launching missiles that HIT Israeli infrastructure.  There isn't going to be time for niceties.  Whole neighborhoods will be flattened as fast as it can be accomplished.  The dead will be counted in thousands, not hundreds.  Israel should use the occasion to create a type of DMZ to their north where the only weapons that can be hidden are small arms.

This was, of course, the promise of the UN after the previous ceasefire. They where supposed to have disarmed Hezbollah in the south, near the border with Israel, to produce exactly the sort of demilitarised zone that you mention. 

However, Hezbollah immediately broke the terms of the ceasefire, and refused to disarm. Bravely, the United Nations crumbled, and elected NOT to enforce it. Just like they did in the Sinai in '67. And we wonder why Israel doesn't trust the UN ? 

• Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

However, Hezbollah immediately broke the terms of the ceasefire, and refused to disarm. Bravely, the United Nations crumbled, and elected NOT to enforce it. Just like they did in the Sinai in '67.

I suspect that the IDF will not be so quick to disengage due to the yammering of the international community this time.  They have openly, repeatedly said that the next war with the Hizballah will be the LAST because they won't stop until it is eradicated.  I hope they mean what they've said.  The citizens in southern Lebanon will deserve what they receive this time around.

13 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

For God's sake man this ain't time of PLO and Israeli sponsored militias in Lebanon. Do not make a joke out of this thread but try to be serious and share some factual information.

13 hours ago, and then said:

The only thing that has changed here is that the Iranian's holding Hizbullah's leash have need for their dog to try and bite. 

If you followed timeline of events in last week you would see how it was Israel who strike first. First time openly since 2006.

That is in Lebanon territory, for which Nasrallah said, back in 2006, that he will retaliate.

IDF's warplanes and rockets killed scores of Hezbollah fighters in Syria, fighters who fought isis and there was no reply so far. Enough is enough i would say. Israel has attacked (as you can see in OP) almost every one of it's neighbors and Iraq too in last weeks so if there is mad dog it is in Israel, not in Iran and most certainly not within Hezbollah who restrained from retaliation. Israeli drones over Lebanon were last straw.

It's the USA who should be more disciplinary with it's leash over Israel, or is it the other way around?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, and then said:

We have people here like SSaL that seem to actually be cheering on the Lebanese to attack Israel

It is you who is cheering for conflict. It's really shameful. Lie is best word, true and honest and i have no regrets using it, even tho it feels bad but it's truth. Implying such things...

I raised concern that if Israel doesn't learn to behave they will endanger their own population, i said it numerous times in this last few weeks and when it finally happens you accuse me of being warmongering scum.

You and @RoofGardener have almost managed to destroy every bit of respect i had for you in subject of Israel and Palestine so if you will continue in the same manner, just to distract from subject and destroy topics i will just ignore your posts in subject related to Israel.

You should see how numerous journalists and agencies in Israel are basically saying what i am saying, that Netanyahu is endangering Israeli civilians in bordering areas and in Israel. He just announced to make sovereignty for illegal settlements - there is no need for aggression on Israel because Israel is aggression by it self. That move could also result in aggression towards Israelis and then Zionist propaganda machine would cry and cry how they feel insecure. Be hones and say that this is not absurd, not even humorous anymore.

Try to be constructive, enough with demolition of anti-Semitism which is serious issue but is downplayed by kinds of people who share some of your 'values'.

Edited by Sir Smoke aLot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Piney said:

That would be easiest, yeah. There is that topic ''Beneath troubled waters'' here in this section and among information there you can see how at least parts of ME are made into landfill so, given enough time it might just became that lol

Now seriously, ME was doing fine without puppet regimes and foreign coalitions, something which have brought destruction on the people in ME for whole history. First it was Romans, then Byzantines, Crusaders, Ottomans just to get replaced with Britain and France around WW1 and now we have sort of adolescent kid who doesn't know who it's parents or family are, just who is his enemy. Political madness's teenager child, that's what ME is.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Sir Smoke aLot said:

For God's sake man this ain't time of PLO and Israeli sponsored militias in Lebanon. Do not make a joke out of this thread but try to be serious and share some factual information.

Factual information ? Well, how about this ? Syria invaded and occupied Lebanon in 1976, and didn't withdraw until 2005. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syrian_occupation_of_Lebanon#Syrian_invasion_of_Lebanon

14 minutes ago, Sir Smoke aLot said:

IDF's warplanes and rockets killed scores of Hezbollah fighters in Syria, fighters who fought isis and there was no reply so far. Enough is enough i would say. Israel has attacked (as you can see in OP) almost every one of it's neighbors and Iraq too in last weeks so if there is mad dog it is in Israel, not in Iran and most certainly not within Hezbollah who restrained from retaliation. Israeli drones over Lebanon were last straw.

It's the USA who should be more disciplinary with it's leash over Israel, or is it the other way around?

There has been no incursion into Lebanon since 2006. There has been cross-border sniping, some very rare artillery shots, and IDF aircraft intruding into Lebenese airspace. All of these related directly to Hezbollah attacks against Israel .

As for your assertion of attacks into Syria and Iraq; these where a direct response to Iran moving missiles into the regions. The IDF attacked Al Quada, ISIS and Hezbollah armoured conveyors carrying advanced missiles in Iraq, Lebanon and Syria. Good riddance to bad rubbish. 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Sir Smoke aLot said:

You and @RoofGardener have almost managed to destroy every bit of respect i had for you in subject of Israel and Palestine so if you will continue in the same manner, just to distract from subject and destroy topics i will just ignore your posts in subject related to Israel.

The feeling is borderline mutual. I don't "distract from subject"... I merely challenge the factual basis for many of your statements. :) 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, and then said:

The citizens in southern Lebanon will deserve what they receive this time around.

Lebanon was a Christian nation at one time. The fleeing Palestinians changed southern Lebanon quickly. 

Basically, this bears the point of what Israel's neighbors have had to endure over the decades because of the Israel's debauchery - not that Lebanon is the only Israeli neighbor with such problems.

So you want to leash out at the Lebanese people but please realise, this is just another sh!t show provided by the rogue state of Israel.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

8 days ago... 

2 hours ago, Setton said:

8 days ago... 

Wait.. what ? 

All I was aware of was an exchange of artillery fire ? 

38 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

Wait.. what ? 

All I was aware of was an exchange of artillery fire ? 

Israel conducted several air strikes on 25 August across Syria, Iraq and Lebanon. It also carried out a previous strike in Iraq on 19 July. Both Iraq strikes targeted Shia militants who, although supported by Iran, are also part of the Iraqi state. 

In other words, if they didn't have the US backing them, they'd have just declared war on 3 nations in one day. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Setton said:

Israel conducted several air strikes on 25 August across Syria, Iraq and Lebanon. It also carried out a previous strike in Iraq on 19 July. Both Iraq strikes targeted Shia militants who, although supported by Iran, are also part of the Iraqi state. 

In other words, if they didn't have the US backing them, they'd have just declared war on 3 nations in one day. 

So in other words they attacked Iranian militia sites ? 

Good riddance to bad rubbish ! :D 

Question: if they attack foreign fighters in.. say.. Iraq, does that count as an attack against Iraq ? :unsure2:

• Like 1