Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Am I An Empath?

J.Luna

From the time I was younger I’ve had weird things happen to me. For example, I stayed with my grandmother at her job sometimes, but this particular day something very strange happened. My grandma works at a retirement home and is well acquainted with almost all of the residents. One lady in particular was a good friend of my grandma’s that would bring me cookies and candy everytime I came(keep in mind I’m 7 years old at the time). One day the lady told me to come up to the room with her to get a knitted dress she had made for one of my dolls. When we got to her room she had a picture of her son hanging on the wall with words on it. I don’t know what made me so drawn to the picture but I immediately asked “Did he die?” and she said “Yes” with a shocked look on her face. Keep in mind I just saw his picture, didn’t pay attention to what was written on it or anything. She told my grandma about the situation everytime she saw her up until the day she died, always saying “ I still don’t understand how she knew that”.

Now in December of 2008 when I was 10 years old I began going through “something”. I started to have these feelings of sadness come out of nowhere. Anytime I heard something sad or thought of a sad sound I started crying. I was even having suicidal thoughts. What was so crazy was that I didn’t want to feel this way at all, I didn’t even know why I was feeling this way. This happened to me on and off up until June of 2009 then suddenly it stopped, almost as if it was something I had learned to “control” or “suppress”. Also, from this event I’ve had this fascination and wonderings of death that I still have today. I can’t explain it but it’s like this was the start of my interest in the supernatural 

Years later I began to look into it. I went from conclusions of depression to the possibility of me having some form of OCD due to my father having OCD. I also started to be interested in the magical arts and other supernatural things. This was also the time I realized I had the wonderful ability to write poems. I’ve also been drawn to the moon from a very young age, but in the aftermath of 2008 my love for the moon grew even more I started watching the tv show Charmed and that’s when I learned of the “Empath” due to Phoebe finding out she was just that. So I started doing research on it and noticed many things that corresponded with what I had gone through. I held the belief for a long time that I was an Empath from about 2014-2017 but eventually I seemingly brushed it off. I never lost faith in the supernatural and humans with psychic abilities. I talked to a psychic( a very accurate psychic) recently and she told me that Spirit told her I was for sure an empath and that I also had the energy of a healer, which corresponds with a previous psychic’s reading that I was a healer in my past life. I really need your opinions on this matter, so tell me what you think. Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

When we believe in something, it becomes our reality, no matter how real it really is.
We then reinforce that belief with confirmation bias, until it becomes 'beyond reasonable doubt'.

What you describe can be explained with coincidence and a talent of reading people. But then again, psychic powers are unmeasurable and thereby unfalsifiable.
You need to decide if you want to live your life in an illusion, that might be real (but probably isn't), or if you want to be sure, and choose the scientific approach.

That's up to you, and none of my business.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

39 minutes ago, BrooklynGuy said:

What am I thinking right now J. Luna?  ;)

That would be a telepath. An empath is someone who's mirror neurons are dialed to 11. Which isn't a "psychic" ability. Just an overclocked normal one. 

15 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

An empath is someone who's mirror neurons are dialed to 11. Which isn't a "psychic" ability. Just an overclocked normal one.

I know this is one of your stock answers, but it still has no relevance whatsoever to any form of empathy.

Just now, acute said:

I know this is one of your stock answers, but it still has no relevance whatsoever to any form of empathy.

Prove me wrong.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Prove me wrong.

It doesn't work like that. You are making the claim, so it's down to you to prove you're right!

Empathy is "the capacity to understand or feel what another person is experiencing from within their frame of reference".

Now tell me what this has to do with Mirror Neurons.

7 minutes ago, acute said:

It doesn't work like that. You are making the claim, so it's down to you to prove you're right!

Empathy is "the capacity to understand or feel what another person is experiencing from within their frame of reference".

Now tell me what this has to do with Mirror Neurons.

Everything.

6 minutes ago, acute said:

I'll try a different way.....

Mirror Neurons mimic behaviour. How is that empathy?

They also allow for emotions to be mimicked. Thoughts (including real, fake, or by association) can elicit an emotional response. Think of dead kittens and ask yourself how you feel.

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

They also allow for emotions to be mimicked. Thoughts (including real, fake, or by association) can elicit an emotional response.

Oh well..... We'll agree to disagree.

2 minutes ago, acute said:

Oh well..... We'll agree to disagree.

No we don't. You asked and I supplied an answer. Now make your case!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, acute said:

Empathy is "the capacity to understand or feel what another person is experiencing from within their frame of reference

I fully agree, not a thing in the world supernatural, paranormal about it, freds kitten died, hes sad and sue can tell fred is sad, she understands sad and has experienced it, no super human special powers needed.

although some do want to call themselves "empaths" thinking it makes them a bit more "special" than the rest of the herd, like claiming to have phychic powers.

Q: Whats my grandmothers name?

A: ( from alleged phychic ) My "gift" of powers, It doesnt work like that.

Edited by the13bats
capt typo
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, the13bats said:

I fully agree, not a thing in the world supernatural, paranormal about it, freds kitten died, hes sad and sue can tell fred is sad, she understands sad and has experienced it, no super human special powers needed.

although some do want to call themselves "empaths" thinking it makes them a bit more "special" than the rest of the hurd, like claiming to have phychic powers.

Q: Whats my grandmothers name?

A: ( from alleged phychic ) My "gift" of powers, It doesnt work like that.

Those who claim to be empaths are naturally adept at cold readings. This is due to their mirror neurons being stronger than average. Couple this with instinct and intuition it seems very psychic. But it's not. I could call myself an intuitive empath, however everything about this is 100% natural. Nothing woo about it. I'm good at reading people, getting a feeling of their emotional state. But it's not psychic at all. Hell, I figure most people have those moments where they "Have a bad feeling" in regards to someone. 

22 hours ago, J.Luna said:

I never lost faith in the supernatural and humans with psychic abilities. I talked to a psychic( a very accurate psychic) recently and she told me that Spirit told her I was for sure an empath and that I also had the energy of a healer, which corresponds with a previous psychic’s reading that I was a healer in my past life. I really need your opinions on this matter, so tell me what you think. Thanks in advance!

Hi,

I would say you are a highly intuitive person. You have psychic like gifts. Empathy is part of that package.

John

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/2/2019 at 4:36 PM, John from Lowell said:

Hi,

I would say you are a highly intuitive person. You have psychic like gifts. Empathy is part of that package.

John

Every single person on earth can feel empathy. It's called being able to tell someones emotions. Even other species of animals can do it. Like dogs for example, they read the emotions of their owners.