Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Harry Potter books removed from school

Still Waters

10 minutes ago, Still Waters said:

A private Catholic school in Nashville has removed the Harry Potter books from its library, saying they include “actual curses and spells, which when read by a human being risk conjuring evil spirits”.

Local paper the Tennessean reported that the pastor at St Edward Catholic school, which teaches children of pre-kindergarten age through to 8th grade, had emailed parents about JK Rowling’s series to tell them that he had been in contact with “several” exorcists who had recommended removing the books from the library.

“These books present magic as both good and evil, which is not true, but in fact a clever deception,” Rev Dan Reehil wrote. “The curses and spells used in the books are actual curses and spells; which when read by a human being risk conjuring evil spirits into the presence of the person reading the text.”

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/sep/02/harry-potter-books-removed-from-catholic-school-on-exorcists-advice

https://eu.tennessean.com/story/news/religion/2019/08/31/harry-potter-books-removed-st-edward-catholic-school/2168489001/

What a load of tosh. The "spells" in the books are made-up words. They are NOT "..actual curses and spells...". the Reverend Dan Reehil is a buffoon !

• Like 2
  • Thanks 7

Everyone knows the spells only work with a magic wand, a real one, I mean a real wand, for real... 

~

• Haha 9

12 minutes ago, third_eye said:

Everyone knows the spells only work with a magic wand, a real one, I mean a real wand, for real... 

~

What about a Kanji smeared Longquan Sword? 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Still Waters said:

The curses and spells used in the books are actual curses and spells; which when read by a human being risk conjuring evil spirits into the presence of the person reading the text.”

Omg, I can't remember the last time I laughed so hard. 

• Like 9

My friend told me that praying for someone without asking permission is black magic and I agree with her reasoning, because the only reason most people pray for someone without permission is to pray that Jesus will save them, which is black magic by definition as it is trying to force someone to do something against their will.  It usually doesn't work, but if you have a whole church praying for someone they don't know on your behalf and it is a prayer to change something no one has a right to change it still carries energy to it. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

If someone is not sure of their beliefs, they end up covering up their insecurities by being super superstitious.  Anyone who does not have doubts would not be threatened by stories made to entertain.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, glorybebe said:

If someone is not sure of their beliefs, they end up covering up their insecurities by being super superstitious.  Anyone who does not have doubts would not be threatened by stories made to entertain.

Well, unless those beliefs condemn anything outside of their dominate paradigm. Then yes, they can be hostile. Sort of like asking a Christian why they pray, because if they truly trusted God then pray would be a sign of insecurity.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Still Waters said:

A private Catholic school in Nashville has removed the Harry Potter books from its library, saying they include “actual curses and spells, which when read by a human being risk conjuring evil spirits”.

Local paper the Tennessean reported that the pastor at St Edward Catholic school, which teaches children of pre-kindergarten age through to 8th grade, had emailed parents about JK Rowling’s series to tell them that he had been in contact with “several” exorcists who had recommended removing the books from the library.

“These books present magic as both good and evil, which is not true, but in fact a clever deception,” Rev Dan Reehil wrote. “The curses and spells used in the books are actual curses and spells; which when read by a human being risk conjuring evil spirits into the presence of the person reading the text.”

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/sep/02/harry-potter-books-removed-from-catholic-school-on-exorcists-advice

https://eu.tennessean.com/story/news/religion/2019/08/31/harry-potter-books-removed-st-edward-catholic-school/2168489001/

Because the bible, is not at all about magical beings and good and evil.

Idiots

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Piney said:

What about a Kanji smeared Longquan Sword? 

My original post here got pulverized... 

:D

~

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, third_eye said:

My original post here got pulverized... 

:D

Smashing and burning some tortoise shells? :whistle:

• Haha 5

JJ Tokien and CS Lewis also have such themes in the works so I wonder they would ban them too. 

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Scholar4Truth said:

JJ Tokien and CS Lewis also have such themes in the works so I wonder they would ban them too. 

They were staunch Christians who didn't include magical formulas....and Aslan was Jesus....:yes:

.......then again this is the American Conservative (i.e. Mel Gibson) Catholics. :unsure2:

• Like 5

Don't worry guys, I've planted a hex bag in the classroom. Normal service should resume shortly. 

(Unless of course, he finds the hex bag and burns it. Then we'll be proper scuppered)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There are enough problematic themes in Harry Potter (don't get me started)

But "evil magic that summons demons" is NOT one of them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

So, an ordained snake-oil salesman, is convinced that magic spells and incantations are real, and present a danger to one's "soul".

Is anyone really surprised at this?

What really concerns me is the fact that he claims to be an "educator".

Edited by Jodie.Lynne
  • Like 7

To be honest this has happened many times before.  

If I remember correctly the thing that set it apart from the Narnia stuff was the fact it contains witches.

Because of course in the realms of Abrahamic religion you can’t have anything remotely feminine being both magic and good.

for a rather refreshing take on it I found this amusing...  Caution the video below can be a tad sweary

https://youtu.be/E-xsnZWVVus

Edited by Grey Area
  • Thanks 4

Threaten by the competition.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Still Waters said:

It seems like we are going backwards, with all this 16th century nonsense.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2