Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What Led you to Belief.

Scholar4Truth

I am just curious to those on the forum who don't hold to a Materialistic/ Naturalistic Worldview, What led you to accept the ideas of Spirituality/Supernatural or at least opening the door to its possibility? 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Scholar4Truth said:

I am just curious to those on the forum who don't hold to a Materialistic/ Naturalistic Worldview, What led you to accept the ideas of Spirituality/Supernatural or at least opening the door to its possibility? 

Before I became such a cynical nihilistic jerk, I used to believe. Perhaps a childish notion that there was something more to this life, maybe it was having seen shadow figures and other weird experiences. I got into the occult because I hated Christianity. Did years of testing and experimentation. As time passed I learned that it was all just a head trip. But yeah, I used to believe. Guess I got somewhat smarter and now I don't believe. It would take something really powerful to change my mind.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Most believers were exposed to spirituality/religion before they became grounded in scientific secularism and learned to accommodate and reconcile both. Those brought up in an ecclesiastical/spiritual vacuum have a harder time reaching an accommodation or, simply, lack the need. As a general rule, there are, of course, many exceptions. 

• Like 7

39 minutes ago, Scholar4Truth said:

My worldview that I was taught by my grandfather and "Uncle" ( stepfather's dad) can't be disproven or proven. If it was disproven, I would no longer believe. 

Many of my own personal original beliefs were disproven as I learned and grew. I didn't try to reconcile them. I just stopped believing. 

I did have a Quaker Aunt teach me "question everything" as a child though. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Thou art God. Grokking is.     Valentine Michael Smith        A Stranger In A Strange Land           Robert Anson Heinlein

• Like 1

I did believe in a god and all the trappings for a while, well aprox 1/3 of my life.

Why?

I was youngster, I was told this was the way it was. I trusted the older folk to know these things and accepted their education.

Until I was old enough to look a little bit closer and it all fell apart.

• Like 9

12 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I would like to reclaim the most important faith. Faith in myself. That would be nice.

You and me both......

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Guess I grew up on the magic bus and entertain parallel and separate realities, ecclesiastical and secular. If souls exist, then that's a foregone conclusion for me. Both intersect in my mind.

• Like 5

Just now, Hammerclaw said:

Guess I grew up on the magic bus and entertain parallel and separate realities, ecclesiastical and secular. If souls exist, then that's a foregone conclusion for me. Both intersect in my mind.

I believe spiritual energy exists. Just not the spirit part except for "souls". 

I believe the Algonquian 2 souls theory. Or a soul splits and half joins Creation. The other part hovering until it fades. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Piney said:

I believe spiritual energy exists. Just not the spirit part except for "souls". 

I believe the Algonquian 2 souls theory. Or a soul splits and half joins Creation. The other part hovering until it fades. 

I'm a Calvinist, as are my people and in belief, I am one with my people. I seek no affirmation from others nor have I need for it. My belief is deeply personal and concluded and untouchable. My conclusions are my own; my interpretations my own. I don't share them as they are divergent and I proselytize no one to them. I see all these things through my eyes and my eyes alone and not another's. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Hammerclaw said:

I'm a Calvinist, as are my people and in belief, I am one with my people. I seek no affirmation from others nor have I need for it. My belief is deeply personal and concluded and untouchable. My conclusions are my own; my interpretations my own. I don't share them as they are divergent and I proselytize no one to them. I see all these things through my eyes and my eyes alone and not another's. 

I worked for a Presbyterian Minister for years. He felt the same way.

Also with the whole predestination thing. "People believe what they're destined to believe and it is what it is."

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Piney said:

I worked for a Presbyterian Minister for years. He felt the same way.

Also with the whole predestination thing. "People believe what they're destined to believe and it is what it is."

Well. sharing a little, I don't believe in that sort of predestination. Under it, one can never make a wrong choice, if one was destined to make it. I'm not a "God's Plan" sort of believer.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Scholar4Truth said:

I am one of those that does not hold the so-called materialist worldview (although I once did after rejecting my family's Catholicism). 

I came to spirituality through the door of the paranormal. What convinced me was the oodles of evidence that can not be explained in the materialist worldview such as the Near Death Experience which was just making its waves in my young adulthood. What particularly impressed me were the consistent veridical Near Death Experiences where people saw things that could later be verified while in an out-of-body perspective. From there I became fascinated with all types of paranormal things.

Eventually this fascination with the paranormal led me to consider what is this 'more' than what exists in the materialist worldview. This led me into esoteric studies and teachers and the eventual belief that we are One eternal consciousness and that this is discovered through love and peace. My spiritual views are now best labeled as Advaita Vedanta philosophy = advaita is the Indian (from India) Sanskrit word for 'not-two' meaning God and creation are not-two as generally held in Abrahamic religions. Vedanta means the ancient scriptures of India (the Vedas). I believe the universe is consciousness created as opposed to materially created.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

As far as I can tell, belief is just a tool for changing consciousness. I get and fully understand the whole psychological aspect of religious/spiritual beliefs. I don't understand the objective view of them. God does this or God does that. The way I see it is that if there is a God it is mute, blind and deaf. We exist to exist. There are things we can do and things we can hope for. I just don't get the "I prayed really hard or I wished really hard" magic genie aspect of religion/spirituality. Like god would literally rearrange the universe just for you. Makes no sense to me. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just a reminder...

The Spirituality, Religion and Beliefs board is primarily aimed at discussing general topics pertaining to religion and spirituality, for skeptic vs believer style discussion and debate on the nature of spirituality themed topics please visit the Spirituality vs Skepticismboard.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

What started in me, started when it began to makes sense that it was me who needed to be re-arranged so that I could become useful to the universe.

• Like 2

Faith in Religion or faith in Science.  They both walk hand in hand.

Following religious studies is the individual's personal choice which affects their daily lifestyle.  Whereas enforcing scientific theories upon the government and enforcing nationwide changes without our consent is incredibly dangerous.  I believe there is too much faith in science these days.

Famous quotes.

quotes1.png

quotes4.png

quotes3.png

quotes2.png

quotes7.png

quotes8.png

quotes9.png

quotes5.png

quotes6.png

Edited by Aaron2016
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Spiritual/ religious Faith, with a capital F, is not the same as faith in the periodic table. That tired, old argument belongs in the other thread.

• Thanks 1

Faith in God is an act of giving meaning and order to the chaos of existence. To scratch out something stable in a life where uncertainty is around every corner. Faith and belief are the currency of meaning. We shape our lives by what we believe to be true, each one of us writing our own self-fulfilling stories. Each person on this planet has their own idea of god, with its own value and meaning. None of these are god, not a single one, are real. They are people's personal gods. Their anchor of stability. The filter through which they view existence. If the idea of God is a good one and produces good results, who cares. However if the idea of God creates mental and emotional harm that god must be forgotten. If one's spirituality does not make them a better person, they need a change. Because religious/spiritual beliefs shouldn't create harm. 

Trust not what your God can do for you, but what you can do because of your faith. 

(takes off wizard hat)

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Aaron2016 said:

Following religious studies is the individual's personal choice which affects their daily lifestyle.  Whereas enforcing scientific theories upon the government and enforcing nationwide changes without our consent is incredibly dangerous.  I believe there is too much faith in science these days.

Famous quotes.

*snip*

I would agree there is Science and then there is Scientism. If im correct you're speaking in the context of the latter.

Edited by Daughter of the Nine Moons
removed large unnecessary images
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Scholar4Truth said:

I was raised in the Catholic faith, however it just was something I couldn't except. When I grew older I was exposed to many forms of belief, which affected me in the same manner. Then one day I was exposed to Buddhism, and as I learned more about its belief system, I finally found something that I could relate too. 

What I discovered was the Buddhist belief in Karma. It's truly a simple belief system that is governed by your actions, how you treat others is how you will be treated in return. If you choose to be cruel or evil to others, you can expect the same treatment for yourself. Where if you treat others with dignity and respect you will also be treated in the same manner.

I don't claim that the cause of this is Devine intervention, However I do believe that we as people make the Heaven or Hell we each live in. This is solely done by our individual actions and how they effect our mental view of ourselves. If your cruel or evil you will cause these things to manifest in your own life.  If you treat others with dignity and respect you will cause this to also manifest within your our life. It's all up to each of us as members of the human race, everyone has a choice of which path to follow

I hope that my explanation makes sense, if not I understand, but I have no other way to explain it sorry.

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Like 1

Injustice and cruelty in this world. Those were the main reasons behind my decision to search for that kind of knowledge. With time it resulted in growing respect for spirituality.

Watching so much anti-''place belief here'' propaganda also played large part behind decision to educate my self in the subject.

I was always interested in space and astronomy. Been watching the stars since my childhood and by watching above one realizes that there is something greater. The whole existence started to feel impossible, contradictory. 

Always had that feel but also i have to thank propagandists the most since without their lies i would never properly educate my self in the subject.

If someone years ago said to me that i would believe in God and respect God i would laugh. But watching the state of this world it's like watching prophecy come true.

• Like 3

I was pursued by what I believe is the Holy Spirit of Truth.

I was presented with evidence that I couldn’t ignore, mostly mathematical.

I believe that God seeks friends and allies among mortal beings, and that we are a form of family 

• Like 2

On 9/3/2019 at 8:25 AM, Aaron2016 said:

Entirely different methodologies.

On 9/3/2019 at 8:25 AM, Aaron2016 said:

Projection here is strong.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1