Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What Led you to Belief.

Scholar4Truth

I was raised Catholic, but it never made sense to me. There were too many inconsistencies, too many illogical plot holes to make any of it believable. Things didn't add up to indicate that the god people worshipped, either existed, or if he did, was a rational being.

And the fact that there are so many different sects indicates, to me, that even the believers cannot agree on what it is they believe.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, brian100 said:

What are you now?

Atheist, since I have no evidence that a celestial being exists

I was taught Christianity growing up, but we did not attend church.  As I grew older, I started searching different religions to see what would fill the void in my life.  I went full circle until I found a Christian church and finally felt that the void had been filled.   I always stress that I have a relationship with Christ rather than a religion that I follow blindly.  I do attend church because I want to learn all I can about Christ and His teachings.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

Atheist, since I have no evidence that a celestial being exists

So you are ok with just vanishing after you die, perhaps never even remembering you were once alive?

And when your dead nobody will remember you even existed once. And when they are all dead and gone.. and earth is gone.. nothing but empty black prison called death and time. For all eternity.   And you never find meaning or any answers.

Edited by brian100
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, tcgram said:

I was taught Christianity growing up, but we did not attend church.  As I grew older, I started searching different religions to see what would fill the void in my life.  I went full circle until I found a Christian church and finally felt that the void had been filled.   I always stress that I have a relationship with Christ rather than a religion that I follow blindly.  I do attend church because I want to learn all I can about Christ and His teachings.   

Do you feel that you can only learn about Christ via listening to sermons or attending Church? 

I think of more afraid of that black hole and being in it.  The dimension of eternal death.

At least with Jesus it gives you hope there is going to be another life that never ends.

1 hour ago, brian100 said:

So you are ok with just vanishing after you die, perhaps never even remembering you were once alive?

I will be dead, remembering nothing, thinking nothing, doing nothing. Except for decomposing. So what is your point?

Try to fear-monger people into belief?

The world existed before I arrived, it will go on existing after I'm gone.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, brian100 said:

And you never find meaning or any answers.

You create your own meaning in this life. And who told you that you would ever get any answers?

• Confused 1

Just now, Jodie.Lynne said:

You create your own meaning in this life. And who told you that you would ever get any answers?

That's a good one Jodi! Yes you have control of your life.  But after its over you have lost control.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

I will be dead, remembering nothing, thinking nothing, doing nothing. Except for decomposing. So what is your point?

Try to fear-monger people into belief?

The world existed before I arrived, it will go on existing after I'm gone.

Yeah.. for you maybe. See that is where you and I differ.  When I die I'm not going to vanish. Jesus will raise me from the dead to everlasting life.

Edited by brian100
add more
  • Like 1

Sparky, you and me differ on so many levels. Religious belief or non-belief is the least of our differences.

Well if you put yourself there its your choice. Literally. I'm going to heaven after I die. That's what I believe.

Edited by brian100
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, brian100 said:

That's a good one Jodi! Yes you have control of your life.  But after its over you have lost control.

I didn't say 'control', did I sadsack?

I said that you determine your own meaning.

You just read things to mean whatever you decide, don't you? They have a word to describe people like you, but the forum won't allow me to use it.

Well if you put yourself there its your choice. Literally. I'm going to haven after I die. That's what I believe.

Good for you. Will you be leaving soon? Have a nice voyage.

Edited by Jodie.Lynne
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

I didn't say 'control', did I sadsack?

I said that you determine your own meaning.

You just read things to mean whatever you decide, don't you? They have a word to describe people like you, but the forum won't allow me to use it.

Sorry,  I mistook you as saying that you choose this path. It was an honest mistake.

Edited by brian100
  • Like 1

You see where it goes wrong with the atheist is they can't deny they are going to vanish and want to make others feel as if they will vanish too, when there is a heck of a lot of proof that you don't just vanish.  i.e Shroud of Turin.

Edited by brian100
typo
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, brian100 said:

You see where it goes wrong with the atheist is they can't deny they are going to vanish and want to make others feel as if they will vanish too, when there is a heck of a lot of proof that you don't just vanish.  i.e Shroud of Turin.

Is English your primary language, or do you have some sort of reading comprehension issue? Or do you like building strawmen?

Point to where I "denied" we will vanish?

I'm denying i will vanish. I agree you will vanish.

B/c I have the faith, and you have none.

Edited by brian100
add more
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, brian100 said:

I'm denying i will vanish. I agree you will vanish.

B/c I have the faith, and you have none.

Then if you believe that, what are you trying to prove? You see evidence of the supernatural, and deities, others do not.

Or are you implying that your faith proves you are better than those without faith?

Edited by Jodie.Lynne
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, danydandan said:

Do you feel that you can only learn about Christ via listening to sermons or attending Church? 

No, I believe anyone who seeks can learn about Christ.  I personally like sermons that challenge me to look into scriptures to see for myself how I can be more like Christ.   I also enjoy talking with fellow believers to get a better understanding.  Those two things help me to learn.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Jodie.Lynne said:

Then if you believe that, what are you trying to prove? You see evidence of the supernatural, and deities, others do not.

You have to prove it to yourself. Don't look at me. If there is nothing afterwards then you won't remember it.

• Haha 1