Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What Led you to Belief.

Scholar4Truth

7 minutes ago, tcgram said:

No, I believe anyone who seeks can learn about Christ.  I personally like sermons that challenge me to look into scriptures to see for myself how I can be more like Christ.   I also enjoy talking with fellow believers to get a better understanding.  Those two things help me to learn.  

When I started studying the Bible I spoke with a number of Jesuits..... I have no Faith by the way just interested in it.... I found them to be most knowledgeable.

I was always told or advised to make my own mind up by reading not only the Bible, but other Holy books and books from scholar's.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, danydandan said:

When I started studying the Bible I spoke with a number of Jesuits..... I have no Faith by the way just interested in it.... I found them to be most knowledgeable.

I was always told or advised to make my own mind up by reading not only the Bible, but other Holy books and books from scholar's.

Yeah, only you can make up your mind b/c nobody else has that control. Jodi tried to educate me on it.

Edited by brian100
add more

For me, I can't stand the idea that you get to live and then get to forget you lived. Some people want that. Lets say Jodi is right, but then can't explain why the Shroud of Turin exists.

Its not that easily explained away like she thinks.

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

So you believe because you fear hell? 

That was another question I had...Are Heaven and Hell real actual places?  If so, how do we know this?

The logical answer is that...if no one ever comes back from the dead...then no one could ever come back to tell about such places...therefore they are mental constructs and exist only in our imagination.  They are not real.  My conclusion was:  There is no Heaven and there is no Hell.  When you die...you are dead...period.

2 hours ago, brian100 said:

Lets say Jodi is right, but then can't explain why the Shroud of Turin exists.

When the feck did I say anything about the shroud?

You really do like to twist words and come up with your own interpretation don't you?

Your style of posting really reminds me of someone, can't put my finger on who though. But you really are an antagonistic Bandersnatch, aren't you?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheHumanDude said:

Fear of hell for not believing. 

So did you believe in hell, before you became a believer? Or were you indoctrinated from childhood?

32 minutes ago, joc said:

That was another question I had...Are Heaven and Hell real actual places?  If so, how do we know this?

The logical answer is that...if no one ever comes back from the dead...then no one could ever come back to tell about such places...therefore they are mental constructs and exist only in our imagination.  They are not real.  My conclusion was:  There is no Heaven and there is no Hell.  When you die...you are dead...period.

The way I see it Heaven is used to motivate the cult following, Hell is used to instill fear for disobedience. In other words, do as we say and be rewarded for your faith or be punished eternally for not following us. What I have an issue is why does God need faith and belief? If it's a god wouldn't such things be trivial. Seems like a petty god to me. 

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

The way I see it Heaven is used to motivate the cult following, Hell is used to instill fear for disobedience. In other words, do as we say and be rewarded for your faith or be punished eternally for not following us. What I have an issue is why does God need faith and belief? If it's a god wouldn't such things be trivial. Seems like a petty god to me. 

The Bible says that God said...I am a jealous God!  That is a 'human' emotion.

but wait...don't be jealous is one of the Ten Commandments. :unsure2: But you are right...Heaven is a reward...Hell is a punishment.  Kill an infidel and die in the process and you are guaranteed 76 virgins in Heaven.  But...refuse to believe that Jesus is the son of God ...you will burn in a lake of fire for trillions and trillions and trillions and trillions of years.  Pretty high price I say to not believe something that is on its face 'unbelievable'.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, joc said:

.I am a jealous God! 

Makes you think there are other Gods. If the abrahamic god is jealous. 

3 minutes ago, joc said:

but wait...don't be jealous is one of the Ten Commandments. :unsure2: But you are right...Heaven is a reward...Hell is a punishment.  Kill an infidel and die in the process and you are guaranteed 76 virgins in Heaven.  But...refuse to believe that Jesus is the son of God ...you will burn in a lake of fire for trillions and trillions and trillions and trillions of years.  Pretty high price I say to not believe something that is on its face 'unbelievable'.

Wouldn't it be hilarious if there is a heaven and it's full of atheist.:lol:

Edited by XenoFish
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, brian100 said:

Man can't comprehend paradise or the universe. Maybe those other galaxies are the mansions Jesus is talking about.

You're a Mormon now? They believe that the devout faithful (Men only!) will become godlings and rule over their own worlds, with as many women as they desire.

And they say religions aren't misogynistic!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, joc said:

.there was always some Bible Scholar to answer them for me.

Hi Joc

That reminds me of the time a guy from my church told me my wife was punishment for me smoking pot.:innocent::lol: Not to mention the female stalker which is why I thought way too many people watched soap operas and quit going.:lol:

jmccr8

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Theologically speaking, GOD doesn't need  our faith and belief. 

HUMANS require it.

Our faith and belief (in christian theology) opens us to the presence of god.

Basically  faith and belief  is enough, alone, in much of that theology,  to be saved, but if you have true faith and belief you will  also LIVE  your life, based on what you believe, so that your behaviours are also shaped by your beliefs.

What do you expect  a god to do?  Force you to  obey, or give you a choice?

Allow you to choose belief or disbelief, or force you to believe .

You (generic)  cant blame god for your choices. They belong to the individual, who is free to choose as they wish. 

Until a person dies, they are always free, and able, to change their choice.    

11 hours ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

You're a Mormon now? They believe that the devout faithful (Men only!) will become godlings and rule over their own worlds, with as many women as they desire.

And they say religions aren't misogynistic!

Mine isn't. I worship the earth mother, or Gaea/ Gaia .  (as much as i worship any god ) 

Edited by Mr Walker
  • Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 11:29 PM, joc said:

Yeah...the Bible is pretty clear...Mary was a Virgin.  That's why they call her...The Virgin Mary.  Virgin's don't have babies.

The Bible only makes sense when viewed through a Biblical Lens.  In the real world of physics and science...dead people...dead dogs...dead rats...dead anything doesn't come back to life.  Have you ever known anyone in the 'real' world who died and three days later came back to life? No...you don't.  And neither does anyone else because...Dead people don't come back to life.

It is impossible for a person of any size or age to walk on top of the ocean.  To believe that it is possible has no merit in the 'real' world...only makes sense in the With God Everything is Possible view of the world.

Consequently, if the Virgin story isn't true...and the Resurrection story isn't true...and the walking on water story isn't true...then none of it is true.  Because it is all based on lies and fabrications of truth.

But if one believes it to be true...as you do...as many do...then more power to them and you.  I was simply stating how I came to belief and how I came to disbelief.

What I am saying maidens were call virgins and were not married, of which  Mary was.

This story told was of reincarnation, life after death

The disciples asked him, “Why then do the teachers of the law say that Elijah must come first?”

11 Jesus replied, “To be sure, Elijah comes and will restore all things. 12 But I tell you, Elijah has already come, and they did not recognize him. Then the disciples understood that he was talking to them about John the Baptist.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew 17&version=NIV

This one Jesus could have swam out ,and walked out to the boat  in a storm and gave his disciple  a miracle

https://www.livescience.com/28567-ancient-structure-under-sea-of-galilee.html

Jesus walks on the surface of the Sea of Galilee (Mark 6:45–53; John 6:16–21).

Edited by docyabut2

What Led you to Belief? What made be kinda believe in life after death, was the three signs my Dad gave me after his death.

its been  so long to write it again  I posted here before , some of our  past  activities are scratch  and have to rewrite it  again.  will have to  give me some more time :(

8 hours ago, docyabut2 said:

What I am saying maidens were call virgins and were not married, of which  Mary was.

This story told was of reincarnation, life after death

so we are just going to make it up as we go along?   reincarnation is also a belief that has no basis in actual reality

24 minutes ago, joc said:

so we are just going to make it up as we go along?   reincarnation is also a belief that has no basis in actual reality

You might come back as a rabbit, joc, if you anger the God of Reincarnations !

Your father Abraham rejoiced to see my day: and he saw it, and was glad.

57 Then said the Jews unto him, Thou art not yet fifty years old, and hast thou seen Abraham?

58 Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.

59 Then took they up stones to cast at him:

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John+8%3A37-59&version=KJV

Jesus said he existed before  Abraham, which could mean reincarnation.

Sooo, quoting a book of mythology, proves the mythology is correct and true?

If I quote "The Lord of the Rings", does that mean the prophecies are correct?

I`m  guessing if our brain  does die with our body  that  would stop our  past and we go on recycling to another life that  does go on  ")

• 4 weeks later...

There are no final truths. Just when they think they found the answer to something. someone comes along with more information and it's back to the drawing board. 

Belief may simply be a way to construct your life and make it seem meaningful. 

Let go of beliefs and feel the freedom. 

https://www.onewithnow.com/let-go-of-beliefs/

1 minute ago, RoseDancer said:

Let go of beliefs and feel the freedom. 

Last time I did that I embraced the wonderful world of nihilism.

• Like 1