Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What Led you to Belief.

Scholar4Truth

13 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Get off your high horse. It has nothing to do with self absorption. I literally feel as if everything is work and it has to be done perfectly. An ideal I can not meet. 

If you can recognize that as the problem, then you can recognize the solution. Stop looking at the world in a way that always circles back to your being obsessed with what you are being and doing.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, openozy said:

Same here,because you are an intelligent person you have obviously ridden through the bad days and kept your head about you,so your lucky.I feel sorry for people who don't have that intelligence because sometimes they don't override that horrible day and they are no longer with us.I've come to the conclusion the luckiest people are the dopiest ones,they care about little and nothing can get them down,what a free world they must live in.

That would be nice. Would love to be able to just chill and go with the flow. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

That would be nice. Would love to be able to just chill and go with the flow. 

Yeah,I used to feel sorry for backward people or with conditions like down syndrome but when you see them going through life, apparently without a care in the world, I truly think they are mentally better off than so called "normal" people.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, openozy said:

Yeah,I used to feel sorry for backward people or with conditions like down syndrome but when you see them going through life, apparently without a care in the world, I truly think they are mentally better off than so called "normal" people.

They are well off when under the care of those that love them, but what happens when those carers, usually the parents are gone ? A situation that may not be such an issue with Downs, as the life expectancy is not that great.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Habitat said:

They are well off when under the care of those that love them, but what happens when those carers, usually the parents are gone ? A situation that may not be such an issue with Downs, as the life expectancy is not that great.

They are very dependent on their carers.i worked for an elderly lady with a down syndrome son in his fifties,when the old lady passed the son died a few days later,seemingly of a broken heart.I was glad they were reunited.

Edited by openozy
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, XenoFish said:

I just hate myself is all. I may have done a lot of good in my life, but it isn't got enough. I've got old programming running in my head that I can not seem to shake, guess that's my cross to bear. 

Xeno, I never even had to leave my house tonight and I watched a man die right from my window, it was tragic and very unexpected, life is too short and can be over in less the a blink of an eye.

I keep thinking about you. And I'll say it again, life is way too short - for you to hate yourself the way you do! You're not even giving yourself a fair chance here!

You say you may have done a lot of good in your life but that it isn't good enough, but i have to ask, in who's eyes?

And your life is not over and if you feel it isn't good enough than maybe, just maybe, could you're expectation of yourself be too high?

If you have done good in your life as you say you have but you feel it isn't enough, then what else is it that you can do that would make you feel that you have done enough good?

& would that ever be enough? 

I think you are on the road to shaking off all that old programming and this might be why you're feeling the way you have been lately, sometimes we have to hurt more becuse its just part of the process to let the hurtful, have no more power over us!

I'd have to say you're one step closer to putting it behind you enough to move out from under its grip that it has on you ; )

• Like 1

On 10/15/2019 at 7:06 AM, RoseDancer said:

There are no final truths. Just when they think they found the answer to something. someone comes along with more information and it's back to the drawing board. 

Belief may simply be a way to construct your life and make it seem meaningful. 

Let go of beliefs and feel the freedom. 

https://www.onewithnow.com/let-go-of-beliefs/

Following your logic wouldn't letting go of beliefs make your life feel less meaningful?

You would then have to construct some other belief to give purpose to your life. 

On 9/15/2019 at 5:23 AM, XenoFish said:

The way I see it Heaven is used to motivate the cult following, Hell is used to instill fear for disobedience. In other words, do as we say and be rewarded for your faith or be punished eternally for not following us. What I have an issue is why does God need faith and belief? If it's a god wouldn't such things be trivial. Seems like a petty god to me. 

To me, while heaven and hell do not exist they are logical constructs, based on the law of natural consequence.

Being self aware, humans know that every action has a consequence.

We know some consequences are good, and some bad, so we establish both secular rules and ethical belief/values, to encourage constructive behaviours  and reduce destructive behaviours.

Humans need faith and belief.

Gods just enjoy our company  :)  

On 9/15/2019 at 5:31 AM, XenoFish said:

Makes you think there are other Gods. If the abrahamic god is jealous. 

Wouldn't it be hilarious if there is a heaven and it's full of atheist.:lol:

Logically(if such places existed ) heaven would have a fair percentage of atheists and hell would have many believers

• Thanks 1

On 2/19/2020 at 2:39 PM, XenoFish said:

Everything literally becomes work to me, a job. Playing a game becomes a priority list. Working out isn't done for the sake of it, but because my doctors told me too. Even eating is a task to complete. A religion would even be a task to me. Occultism became work, so I basically quit. Pretty much everything is a to-do list that I should've had finished yesterday.

Hi Xeno

Had a couple of times in my life that were difficult and felt challenged like when I fell off of a building and ruptured three discs in my lower back, separated all the bones in my right foot, gibbled my right hip and shoulder and while in bed I cried for the first time in many years because I did not know if I would be able to enjoy building the things I did and had spent my life learning about. So I built things in my head and my anger ( okay moderately stubborn streak might have had something to do with it :whistle:) drove me to do what I had to do so I could enjoy the life I thought I had a potential to lose.

I went to the gym as well as part of the rehab that I created for myself and went to the oldest gym in town so I wouldn't have to deal with posers and pretty boys who's muscles were for display purposes only. When things got a little boring I found a couple of people to work out with that were commited,humorous and friends to motivate each other. Understandably you being married my not have the same opportunities to choose you workout mates but mine looked fine working out and appreciated my encouragements.;)

Most of the time I eat because it is a function of the body so I do it. The other day I went to Earl's and had a charred cajun steak after soup and salad and darn near ordered a second one it was so good.Times change just wait until you can be a grampa because I think you will be one of the best

jmccr8

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/19/2020 at 2:42 PM, XenoFish said:

If it isn't done right or exact then it's a failure. No matter how good it is. It has to be perfect. That's what goes on in my head. Do it right, do it by the book, or you are wrong. Follow the rules and do it right. 

Hi Xeno

Over the years I have an understanding of your commitment and understanding of your trade and have a lot of respect for that which is why I hope you will accept my encouragements as sincere for some of the people that have worked for me saw the ends I will go to to make a job right and commented makes it worth the while because they have an idea of my ethic to mold their career with that in mind.

You and I are ever-ready kinds of guys that are adaptable even when life seems like crap. Aaaandf that is not the view of an optimist.:lol: Just a guy that won't see a kick in the nuts as a defeat.

jmccr8

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tuco's Gas said:

Most indeed. I'd personally be so bold as to up your ante and opine that probably a good 95% of adult theists were raised in a theist-minded household or environment. 

In other words: they were taught. Indoctrinated.

The other 5% are born again types. And that emotional transformation (yes, it is emotional) almost always occurs after their world crumbles. It's a common dynamic in prison. And with recovering drug addicts and alcoholics. 

Since their god in no way ever reveals even a hint of himself, it's all but impossible for a child reared in a secular environment to become a theist of his own volition. 

God's were of course first invented by ancient man in his attempts to explain weather phenomena and other natural but important and unfathomable occurrences. Later, these gods were petitioned for assistance in vanquishing rivals.

That dynamic continues today, with the rivals or enemies to the theist being the certainty of death and a short, meaningless life borne of random chance.

Peace.

Oh, nothing's impossible; you. as an example, demonstrate the human capacity to make themselves believe almost anything and be smug b******* about it, too. In the end, you don't have any more evidence for your point-of-view than the average bible-thumping, foot-washing Baptist does theirs. They can't prove a positive and you sure the hell can't prove a negative from the perspective of your own pointless, brief and futile existence.

Pax, indeed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

Invoked a bit of xenofish huh.:lol:

Oh no. Xeno would have tore him a new *******. I just kicked the one he had. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Oh no. Xeno would have tore him a new *******. I just kicked the one he had. 

Perhaps, but I've realized that most of the time it's a waste of energy to do so. No amount of verbal "rip and tear" changes people, unless they are willing to change. I figure most of the time they just hunker down even harder into their beliefs. 

Edited by XenoFish

Just now, XenoFish said:

Perhaps, but I've realized that most of the time it's a waste of energy to do so. No amount of verbal "rip and tear" changes people, unless they are willing to change. 

When I see a black widow spider, I step on it. I don't plead with it to be a good little spider and never bite people. Now, a black widow spider can't help it--but, that's the point. I usually leave perfect strangers alone, unless they choose to address me directly. You see, a perfect stranger may not be feeling particularly perfect when you choose to engage them and that's the only lesson worth teaching some people.

When I see a black widow spider, I step on it. I don't plead with it to be a good little spider and never bite people. Now, a black widow spider can't help it--but, that's the point. I usually leave perfect strangers alone, unless they choose to address me directly. You see, a perfect stranger may not be feeling particularly perfect when you choose to engage them and that's the only lesson worth teaching some people.

I see your point. 

I end up having to repeat myself when discussing these subjects. Calling God an idea and people seem to lose their minds, what else could god be.

2 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I see your point. 

I end up having to repeat myself when discussing these subjects. Calling God an idea and people seem to lose their minds, what else could god be.

God is a word for the inconceivable, Xeno, yet, we persist in trying. Perhaps it is we who are the idea, a manifestation of the universal consciousness. How's that for an idea?

• Like 1

Just now, Hammerclaw said:

God is a word for the inconceivable, Xeno, yet, we persist in trying. Perhaps it is we who are the idea, a manifestation of the universal consciousness. How's that for an idea?

Maybe all of this is just a very lucid dream and death is awakening. We can speculate while none of us truly know.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Maybe all of this is just a very lucid dream and death is awakening. We can speculate while none of us truly know.

Or we're almost all NPCs in an elaborate construct inhabited by a handful of players. You and I may be players who chose to block their memories before being born into the game. The game we're playing is called Mortality.

Edited by Hammerclaw

Just now, Hammerclaw said:

Or we're almost all NPCs in an elaborate construct inhabited by a handful of players. You and I may be players who chose to block their memories before being born into the game. The game we're playing is call Mortality.

Maybe. I personally give a bit too much thought about a dream reality. That we are all sharing a collective yet individual dream and when a idea get's too big, it affects the dream. Religion being one of those things. As it is a way too collectively create similar thought patterns. If we took this further, who's or what dreaming the dreamers?

Just now, XenoFish said:

Maybe. I personally give a bit too much thought about a dream reality. That we are all sharing a collective yet individual dream and when a idea get's too big, it affects the dream. Religion being one of those things. As it is a way too collectively create similar thought patterns. If we took this further, who's or what dreaming the dreamers?

It's a Play Station, first party game. It doesn't have to make sense.

• Haha 1

It's a Play Station, first party game. It doesn't have to make sense.

How many lives do I get and can I reset? :lol:

Just now, XenoFish said:

How many lives do I get and can I reset? :lol:

You are an avatar of a Great Soul, which is not bound by the constraints of linear time, omni temporal and multi-incarnate.  It experiences a simultaneity of existences, past, present and future, all at once. You are one node, one point of reference, one point of perspective in this three dimensional linear timeline. The Great Soul is a living Mobius Strip, no beginning, no ending. It exists and persists in the eternal Now.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

You are an avatar of a Great Soul, which is not bound by the constraints of linear time, omni temporal and multi-incarnate.  It experiences a simultaneity of existences, past, present and future, all at once. You are one node, one point of reference, one point of perspective in this three dimensional linear timeline. The Great Soul is a living Mobius Strip, no beginning, no ending. It exists and persists in the eternal Now.

I knew those cheat codes worked.