Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Scholar4Truth

What Led you to Belief.

185 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

joc

I was born a christian, raised a christian, baptized as a christian...believed it all...until several years ago when I realized a lot of it didn't make any sense.  I asked myself hard questions concerning the core 'beliefs'.  I concluded that:

1. Virgins don't ever have babies.

2.  Dead people don't ever come back to life.

3.  No one can walk on water.

4. Faith has nothing to do with reality...only with how we live our individual lives.

Faith is so important to so many people.  I'm completely fine with people believing whatever as long as it doesn't hurt them, or anyone else.   Wars have been fought over Faith.  While I have concluded certain things...I realize not everyone else has or will.  It's okay to have Faith.  It's okay not to.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
third_eye

*lights up a rolled tobacco smokes*

~

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Aquila King

What led me to belief? Born and raised in it.

What led me away from it? Realizing that nobody knows the answer, and that there are more important things to focus on in the here and now.

67fab6f.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bookwormwen

Spirituality has always been part of my life because I was raised Catholic. I never really got much of anything out of going to church, though. I was just parroting what I heard from adults. Thankfully my parents let me leave right after my Confirmation.

I'm sure there's an emotional/psychological component to my beliefs now. I guess I just feel like there's something out there greater than me and greater than this world. Not necessarily God, but some divine force that my human brain simply can't understand. So my belief comes from connecting to that in ways that help me become a better person or bring me comfort in tough times. Of course, I still have faith in science, too. I just believe that science has limitations and that there could very well be things that it can't explain.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
brian100

I went to Catholic school for 8 years. I feel blessed for being given the chance to see the truth. My mom just converted and her parent were all Methodist. My moms parents had a bad ending.

 

Grandma ended it

Grandpa got MS like disease and ended up a veggie in a hospital bed for 5 years.

 

There is nothing more scary than being trapped in your own body like that.  Or your brain?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Scholar4Truth

I think what led me to belief is reading the known Philosophers such as Sartre, Camus, and Nietzsche. They showed the problem of the Existential crisis of mankind and what he faces. This is what  Paul Tillich calls nonbeing.  So philosophy played a big part in me coming to my position, along with some things in my personal life. Thomas Aquinas and the works of Edward Feser (Catholic Philosopher) have been helpful in my research along with Descartes.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
docyabut2

What I kinda  believe in life after death, are the three signs my passed on Dad gave me. Any one remember all the signs I wrote about long time ago on this site  ?      

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
docyabut2
On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 8:00 AM, joc said:

I was born a christian, raised a christian, baptized as a christian...believed it all...until several years ago when I realized a lot of it didn't make any sense.  I asked myself hard questions concerning the core 'beliefs'.  I concluded that:

1. Virgins don't ever have babies.

2.  Dead people don't ever come back to life.

3.  No one can walk on water.

4. Faith has nothing to do with reality...only with how we live our individual lives.

Faith is so important to so many people.  I'm completely fine with people believing whatever as long as it doesn't hurt them, or anyone else.   Wars have been fought over Faith.  While I have concluded certain things...I realize not everyone else has or will.  It's okay to have Faith.  It's okay not to.

Virgins? - maidens  can

Dead people don't ever come back to life.?

 Jesus replied, “To be sure, Elijah comes and will restore all things. 12 But I tell you, Elijah has already come, and they did not recognize him,

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew 17&version=NIV

No one can walk on water?

Jesus could have walked on the water:)

https://www.livescience.com/28567-ancient-structure-under-sea-of-galilee.html

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Aquila King
5 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

Virgins? - maidens  can

Dead people don't ever come back to life.?

 Jesus replied, “To be sure, Elijah comes and will restore all things. 12 But I tell you, Elijah has already come, and they did not recognize him,

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew 17&version=NIV

No one can walk on water?

Jesus could have walked on the water:)

https://www.livescience.com/28567-ancient-structure-under-sea-of-galilee.html

Are... are these supposed to be good points?... This has to be parody...

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish

I can walk on water. There's a catch though, it has to be frozen. I can also raise the dead, I know CPR. Plus I'm sure I can turn water into moonshine.

  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
docyabut2
1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

I can walk on water. There's a catch though, it has to be frozen. I can also raise the dead, I know CPR. Plus I'm sure I can turn water into moonshine.

Jesus walks on the surface of the Sea of Galilee (Mark 6:45–53; John 6:16–21).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish
2 hours ago, docyabut2 said:

Jesus walks on the surface of the Sea of Galilee (Mark 6:45–53; John 6:16–21).

Yes, I know the fairy tale. 

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
brian100

The whole purpose of religion is there is something more after you have died and I feel the Shroud of Turin has explained this to me. It shoudn't even exist, but it does!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
joc
5 hours ago, docyabut2 said:

Virgins? - maidens  can

Dead people don't ever come back to life.?

 Jesus replied, “To be sure, Elijah comes and will restore all things. 12 But I tell you, Elijah has already come, and they did not recognize him,

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew 17&version=NIV

No one can walk on water?

Jesus could have walked on the water:)

https://www.livescience.com/28567-ancient-structure-under-sea-of-galilee.html

 

 

Yeah...the Bible is pretty clear...Mary was a Virgin.  That's why they call her...The Virgin Mary.  Virgin's don't have babies.

The Bible only makes sense when viewed through a Biblical Lens.  In the real world of physics and science...dead people...dead dogs...dead rats...dead anything doesn't come back to life.  Have you ever known anyone in the 'real' world who died and three days later came back to life? No...you don't.  And neither does anyone else because...Dead people don't come back to life.

It is impossible for a person of any size or age to walk on top of the ocean.  To believe that it is possible has no merit in the 'real' world...only makes sense in the With God Everything is Possible view of the world.

Consequently, if the Virgin story isn't true...and the Resurrection story isn't true...and the walking on water story isn't true...then none of it is true.  Because it is all based on lies and fabrications of truth.

But if one believes it to be true...as you do...as many do...then more power to them and you.  I was simply stating how I came to belief and how I came to disbelief.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Will do
3 minutes ago, joc said:

Yeah...the Bible is pretty clear...Mary was a Virgin.  That's why they call her...The Virgin Mary.  Virgin's don't have babies.

The Bible only makes sense when viewed through a Biblical Lens.  In the real world of physics and science...dead people...dead dogs...dead rats...dead anything doesn't come back to life.  Have you ever known anyone in the 'real' world who died and three days later came back to life? No...you don't.  And neither does anyone else because...Dead people don't come back to life.

It is impossible for a person of any size or age to walk on top of the ocean.  To believe that it is possible has no merit in the 'real' world...only makes sense in the With God Everything is Possible view of the world.

Consequently, if the Virgin story isn't true...and the Resurrection story isn't true...and the walking on water story isn't true...then none of it is true.  Because it is all based on lies and fabrications of truth.

But if one believes it to be true...as you do...as many do...then more power to them and you.  I was simply stating how I came to belief and how I came to disbelief.

 

When you believed, did you believe everything?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
joc
3 minutes ago, Will Due said:

 

When you believed, did you believe everything?

 

 

Absolutely...when things didn't make sense I would ask questions...there was always some Bible Scholar to answer them for me. The way I was led to faith was through being made to feel utterly guilty and unworthy and worthless.  The antidote for that is asking Jesus to come into your heart and become your personal savior.  That's called...being 'saved'.  And the emotion, the  f e e l i n g  of suddenly not feeling utterly guilty and unworthy and worthless...was such an incredible high...and then you feel 'changed' and then you are happy that you are not worthless anymore.  And everybody loves you and treats you like you are really, really special because you are now a child of God.  And you k n o w that it is all real and true...because you experienced...the feeling.

*spins head three times and projectile vomits*

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
brian100
23 minutes ago, joc said:

Yeah...the Bible is pretty clear...Mary was a Virgin.  That's why they call her...The Virgin Mary.  Virgin's don't have babies.

The Bible only makes sense when viewed through a Biblical Lens.  In the real world of physics and science...dead people...dead dogs...dead rats...dead anything doesn't come back to life.  Have you ever known anyone in the 'real' world who died and three days later came back to life? No...you don't.  And neither does anyone else because...Dead people don't come back to life.

It is impossible for a person of any size or age to walk on top of the ocean.  To believe that it is possible has no merit in the 'real' world...only makes sense in the With God Everything is Possible view of the world.

Consequently, if the Virgin story isn't true...and the Resurrection story isn't true...and the walking on water story isn't true...then none of it is true.  Because it is all based on lies and fabrications of truth.

But if one believes it to be true...as you do...as many do...then more power to them and you.  I was simply stating how I came to belief and how I came to disbelief.

We already know there is no do-overs in life. Do you see how easy I have discredited you?

Edited by brian100
add more

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Will do
10 minutes ago, joc said:

Absolutely...when things didn't make sense I would ask questions...

 

Did you ever ask if there wasn't something more to believe?

If not, how did you know you were believing everything there was to believe?

 

 

Edited by Will Due

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
brian100

I'd also like too add that 'these dead people", you eventually, will not remember they even were alive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hammerclaw
5 hours ago, XenoFish said:

I can walk on water. There's a catch though, it has to be frozen. I can also raise the dead, I know CPR. Plus I'm sure I can turn water into moonshine.

Anyone can walk on water, provided they're moving fast enough, on skis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish
5 hours ago, brian100 said:

I'd also like too add that 'these dead people", you eventually, will not remember they even were alive.

I've been saying that for quite some time now. No one is ever truly dead till the last person who remembers you forgets. 

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
brian100
28 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I've been saying that for quite some time now. No one is ever truly dead till the last person who remembers you forgets. 

U'm no.

It is said when you die that you will  not even remember you had died, and that implies that you will not remember being alive at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
joc
7 hours ago, Will Due said:

 

Did you ever ask if there wasn't something more to believe?

If not, how did you know you were believing everything there was to believe?

 

 

No, I don't ask stupid, superfluous  questions.  I tend to ask substantive important questions.  Questions like:

1.  If God created the Universe...where did God come from?

2.  If God is all knowing, then he knew he was creating creatures that for the majority of their lives would suffer and then suffer in death for all eternity in a lake of fire with no reprieve...ever.  Why would he think it a good idea to do that?

3.  Both male and female have dna.  Human memory is not in the sperm it is in the dna...why did Mary have to be a virgin?

4. How can a Spirit that has no sperm impregnate a virgin?

Substantive questions Will...not mamby pamby, try to get you to think my way, stupid, superfluous questions.  Got it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
joc
7 hours ago, brian100 said:

We already know there is no do-overs in life. Do you see how easy I have discredited you?

Do you see how quickly I ignore trolls?

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
brian100

Your criteria of nobody comes back from the dead is flawed if you factor in Lazerus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.