Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Scholar4Truth

What Led you to Belief.

185 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

XenoFish
7 minutes ago, joc said:

Do you see how quickly I ignore trolls?

The newest member of the bliss lounge.:tu:

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jodie.Lynne

I was raised Catholic, but it never made sense to me. There were too many inconsistencies, too many illogical plot holes to make any of it believable. Things didn't add up to indicate that the god people worshipped, either existed, or if he did, was a rational being.

And the fact that there are so many different sects indicates, to me, that even the believers cannot agree on what it is they believe.

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
brian100
1 hour ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

I was raised Catholic, but it never made sense to me.

What are you now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jodie.Lynne
20 minutes ago, brian100 said:

What are you now?

Atheist, since I have no evidence that a celestial being exists

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tcgram

I was taught Christianity growing up, but we did not attend church.  As I grew older, I started searching different religions to see what would fill the void in my life.  I went full circle until I found a Christian church and finally felt that the void had been filled.   I always stress that I have a relationship with Christ rather than a religion that I follow blindly.  I do attend church because I want to learn all I can about Christ and His teachings.   

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
brian100
1 hour ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

Atheist, since I have no evidence that a celestial being exists

So you are ok with just vanishing after you die, perhaps never even remembering you were once alive?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish

This about sums up my view on belief.

isaac-asimove-quote-i-believe-in-evidenc

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
brian100

And when your dead nobody will remember you even existed once. And when they are all dead and gone.. and earth is gone.. nothing but empty black prison called death and time. For all eternity.   And you never find meaning or any answers.

Edited by brian100
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
danydandan
1 hour ago, tcgram said:

I was taught Christianity growing up, but we did not attend church.  As I grew older, I started searching different religions to see what would fill the void in my life.  I went full circle until I found a Christian church and finally felt that the void had been filled.   I always stress that I have a relationship with Christ rather than a religion that I follow blindly.  I do attend church because I want to learn all I can about Christ and His teachings.   

Do you feel that you can only learn about Christ via listening to sermons or attending Church? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TheHumanDude

Fear of hell for not believing. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
brian100

I think of more afraid of that black hole and being in it.  The dimension of eternal death.

At least with Jesus it gives you hope there is going to be another life that never ends.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jodie.Lynne
1 hour ago, brian100 said:

So you are ok with just vanishing after you die, perhaps never even remembering you were once alive?

I will be dead, remembering nothing, thinking nothing, doing nothing. Except for decomposing. So what is your point?

Try to fear-monger people into belief?

The world existed before I arrived, it will go on existing after I'm gone.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jodie.Lynne
59 minutes ago, brian100 said:

And you never find meaning or any answers.

You create your own meaning in this life. And who told you that you would ever get any answers?

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
brian100
Just now, Jodie.Lynne said:

You create your own meaning in this life. And who told you that you would ever get any answers?

That's a good one Jodi! Yes you have control of your life.  But after its over you have lost control.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
brian100
3 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

I will be dead, remembering nothing, thinking nothing, doing nothing. Except for decomposing. So what is your point?

Try to fear-monger people into belief?

The world existed before I arrived, it will go on existing after I'm gone.

Yeah.. for you maybe. See that is where you and I differ.  When I die I'm not going to vanish. Jesus will raise me from the dead to everlasting life.

Edited by brian100
add more
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jodie.Lynne

Sparky, you and me differ on so many levels. Religious belief or non-belief is the least of our differences.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
brian100

Well if you put yourself there its your choice. Literally. I'm going to heaven after I die. That's what I believe.

Edited by brian100
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jodie.Lynne
5 minutes ago, brian100 said:

That's a good one Jodi! Yes you have control of your life.  But after its over you have lost control.

I didn't say 'control', did I sadsack?

I said that you determine your own meaning.

You just read things to mean whatever you decide, don't you? They have a word to describe people like you, but the forum won't allow me to use it.

Quote

Well if you put yourself there its your choice. Literally. I'm going to haven after I die. That's what I believe.

Good for you. Will you be leaving soon? Have a nice voyage.

Edited by Jodie.Lynne
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
brian100
2 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

I didn't say 'control', did I sadsack?

I said that you determine your own meaning.

You just read things to mean whatever you decide, don't you? They have a word to describe people like you, but the forum won't allow me to use it.

Sorry,  I mistook you as saying that you choose this path. It was an honest mistake.

Edited by brian100
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
brian100

You see where it goes wrong with the atheist is they can't deny they are going to vanish and want to make others feel as if they will vanish too, when there is a heck of a lot of proof that you don't just vanish.  i.e Shroud of Turin.

Edited by brian100
typo
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jodie.Lynne
2 minutes ago, brian100 said:

You see where it goes wrong with the atheist is they can't deny they are going to vanish and want to make others feel as if they will vanish too, when there is a heck of a lot of proof that you don't just vanish.  i.e Shroud of Turin.

Is English your primary language, or do you have some sort of reading comprehension issue? Or do you like building strawmen?

Point to where I "denied" we will vanish?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
brian100

I'm denying i will vanish. I agree you will vanish.

 

B/c I have the faith, and you have none.

Edited by brian100
add more
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jodie.Lynne
16 minutes ago, brian100 said:

I'm denying i will vanish. I agree you will vanish.

 

B/c I have the faith, and you have none.

Then if you believe that, what are you trying to prove? You see evidence of the supernatural, and deities, others do not.

Or are you implying that your faith proves you are better than those without faith?

Edited by Jodie.Lynne
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tcgram
1 hour ago, danydandan said:

Do you feel that you can only learn about Christ via listening to sermons or attending Church? 

No, I believe anyone who seeks can learn about Christ.  I personally like sermons that challenge me to look into scriptures to see for myself how I can be more like Christ.   I also enjoy talking with fellow believers to get a better understanding.  Those two things help me to learn.  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
brian100
Just now, Jodie.Lynne said:

Then if you believe that, what are you trying to prove? You see evidence of the supernatural, and deities, others do not.

You have to prove it to yourself. Don't look at me. If there is nothing afterwards then you won't remember it.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.