Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mermaid Sightings

Commander CMG

We know all about the Little Mermaid and Homer’s sirens. However, as these famed explorers tell us, mermaid sightings aren't just relegated to works of fiction. 

Source

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Yes, this topic comes up again and again. I believe in the likely existence of a lot of creatures that are NOT normal physical earth species like humans, monkeys and dolphins are normal earth physical species. However I believe there are entities not so grounded in our physical reality like Bigfoot, fairies, dog-men, mermaids, etc.. that temporarily enjoy access to the physical plane to experience in their unique forms. Try to capture one in a jar and they'll be gone leaving plenty of room for the skeptics.

Controversial? Just wait :rolleyes:

Edited by papageorge1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Iilaa'mpuul'xem said:

We know all about the Little Mermaid and Homer’s sirens. However, as these famed explorers tell us, mermaid sightings aren't just relegated to works of fiction. 

Source

I just love stories about Mermaids! :D 

Just reading through that article made me think of that mockumentary that came out in 2011 - I remember watching it and thinking oh wow...Mermaids are real at last :D  Alas, I was disappointed after reading the fine print at the end of the show.  Nevertheless, it was a great 2 hour show!

https://www.livescience.com/45733-are-mermaids-real.html

Edited by Gwynbleidd
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

I also find it funny that men have mistaken dugongs/manatees as mermaids.  I'm not sure what sort of women they've been around but I haven't seen any that look like those creatures.  Perhaps it was just a case of being out at sea for too long and they'd forgotten what a true woman looked like.....naked. :lol:

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Iilaa'mpuul'xem said:

Source

There is one theory that could explain Mermaids even though it is not completely excepted, it is the Aquatic Ape theory'.

Here is a link that explains this theory.   

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/1ddb/b95d10df1b84b453a9e4d739a61bf814791c.pdf

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

There is one theory that could explain Mermaids even though it is not completely excepted, it is the Aquatic Ape theory'.

Here is a link that explains this theory.   

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/1ddb/b95d10df1b84b453a9e4d739a61bf814791c.pdf

Thanks for that, I think this is what is explained in the documentary that @Gwynbleidd posted above?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Gwynbleidd said:

I also find it funny that men have mistaken dugongs/manatees as mermaids.  I'm not sure what sort of women they've been around but I haven't seen any that look like those creatures.  Perhaps it was just a case of being out at sea for too long and they'd forgotten what a true woman looked like.....naked. :lol:

WHAT they're not real women ;-) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

my buddies ex made a dugong look really good,

I thought the water ape idea was cooked up for that mermaid mocumentary?

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Gwynbleidd said:

My ex wife always said I looked like a manatee naked.

• Haha 5

4 hours ago, the13bats said:

my buddies ex made a dugong look really good,

I thought the water ape idea was cooked up for that mermaid mocumentary?

No it was actually around before that documentary, I think they did use it for that though. The aquatic Ape theory isn't very well excepted by the leading anthropologists, most don't beleive it could be possible. But there are some interesting facts that no one can explain. Like why we don't have hair covered body's like all other Apes, why we have left over webbing between our fingers and toes.  There are a host of other things that make some people beleive it.

take care

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Manwon Lender said:

No it was actually around before that documentary, I think they did use it for that though. The aquatic Ape theory isn't very well excepted by the leading anthropologists, most don't beleive it could be possible. But there are some interesting facts that no one can explain. Like why we don't have hair covered body's like all other Apes, why we have left over webbing between our fingers and toes.  There are a host of other things that make some people beleive it.

take care

Ill have to go research it, before i run with it, but you know me i need my proof, ill get back to you on it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

cool i wasnt as ignorant as i feared, i enjoyed the mermaids are real mockumentry and i was getting my detailed brain all mixed up thinking "water ape" was suggesting a humanoid type gillman idea, but no, i recall reading about it many years ago, and while i believe proponents of the water ape theory are likely giving it more weight in human evolution than it deserves, since we have today apes/monkeys that spend time in the water hunting food no reason not to believe eariler humans did the same, big difference between foraging in water or living in the water mermaid style.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

take care

Speak for yourself.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

23 minutes ago, Robotic Jew said:

Speak for yourself.

Explain!

The problem with mermaids is that they are part fish and part mammal. The line of animals that become mammals diverges from fish in the Devonian. The Devonian ended over 350 million years ago.

Mermaids are just chimera and no more real than griffins or Pegasus. Making up new creatures is easier if you mix and match body parts instead of dreaming up something new.

I'm not sure that mermaids were even seen. I'm not thinking that people mistook anything to be a woman with a fish's tale.

The one thing people seem to forget is that the mermaids of long ago were trouble. They were associated with death and disaster.

• Like 1

Anyone thing this: "However I believe there are entities not so grounded in our physical reality like Bigfoot, fairies, dog-men, mermaids, etc.."

needs to also consider that there are:

• centaurs (half human/half horse)
  • minotaurs (half human/half bull)
  • echidna (half human/half snake)
  • harpy or siren (half human/half bird)
  • gorgons (half human/half snake)
  • satyr (half human/half goat)
  • sphinx (half human/half lion)

The smart thing to do is to accept hat BF, fairies, dog-men, mermaids and so forth are not real. 

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, stereologist said:

I'm not sure that mermaids were even seen. I'm not thinking that people mistook anything to be a woman with a fish's tale

i always considered that seacows etc were made to fit the mermaid idea after the fact not the reason for it,

• Like 1

Personally, I don’t buy the sailors that have been out at sea and starved of sex and they suddenly find the Sea Cow/ Manatee attractive. 

I could be out at sea for decades and helped myself to the ships cargo, (barrels of brandy) and I still couldn’t look at a Manatee and think, “you look like a tasty piece, come here and let me show you who your daddy is”. They are all spitting images of the Farmers wives in my village. 

I like mermaids but a Manatee would be punching way above her weight frolicking in the waves with me.. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Iilaa'mpuul'xem said:

Personally, I don’t buy the sailors that have been out at sea and starved of sex and they suddenly find the Sea Cow/ Manatee attractive. 

I could be out at sea for decades and helped myself to the ships cargo, (barrels of brandy) and I still couldn’t look at a Manatee and think, “you look like a tasty piece, come here and let me show you who your daddy is”. They are all spitting images of the Farmers wives in my village. 

I like mermaids but a Manatee would be punching way above her weight frolicking in the waves with me.. 

And Sirens ‘devouring’ sailors, originates from sailors starved of oral sex. :lol:

• Haha 2

On 9/3/2019 at 2:48 PM, Manwon Lender said:

take care

While it is a possibility, there are also other explanations for those things.

We do swim more than other apes and many of them do have bare faces and areas, maybe we are just the extreme selection of this. Our dna is also quite similar to pigs and i don't see them being aquatic.

That being said before this mermaid thing came about doesn't anyone remember the supposed sightings in Kazakhstan or nearby and the goverment offering rewards for this mermaid-like creature that seemed to communicate with the fish?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nnicolette said:

While it is a possibility, there are also other explanations for those things.

We do swim more than other apes and many of them do have bare faces and areas, maybe we are just the extreme selection of this. Our dna is also quite similar to pigs and i don't see them being aquatic.

That being said before this mermaid thing came about doesn't anyone remember the supposed sightings in Kazakhstan or nearby and the goverment offering rewards for this mermaid-like creature that seemed to communicate with the fish?

you didnt read the entire thread huh?

im guilty of that myself from time to time.