Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mystery 'gel' found on far side of the Moon

UM-Bot

51Yr5n7ptVL.jpg.13196536171d5109269c6a08e13b6cdf.jpg

• Like 4

Saying it's molten glass is silly. It would take less then 30 minutes for that to freeze solid, and all the drone would have to do is poke it to confirm, but the scientists didn't say they thought it was molten glass the commentators did. The scientists said it was a gel. and I doubt they postponed a shutdown just to study it from 40 feet away at the top of a crater with zoom. They found an odd substance on the moon. I think by now scientist would be able to distinguish molten glass from something else.

You should bring it to earth and see what it tastes like.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I for one welcome our blobulous overlords. Just keep them away from my jello or there be...repercussions.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The Apollo astronauts reportedly found natural glass on the Moon, caused by meteoric impacts. The same explanation has been suggested in this case.  That's quite a reach, though. The Chinese scientists are supposed to have called the substance 'gel-like'. Why do that if the glass explanation was viable? They presumably had grounds for distinguishing the strange substance from glass.

On Earth, meteoric glass is typically green or yellow-green, and not transparent. Perhaps the substance found on the far side of the Moon is of some other color, or transparent, as gels often are.

The implications of actual gel on the surface of the moon are thought provoking. It will be interesting to see the results of the work that is reportedly being done to identify this substance. 

Edited by bison
  • Like 3

Can it be water mixed with lunar dirt?

Edited by qxcontinuum

On 9/3/2019 at 8:12 PM, UM-Bot said:

Scientists operating China's Yutu-2 lunar rover have discovered a strange 'shiny gel' inside an impact crater.

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/330158/mystery-gel-found-on-far-side-of-the-moon

I think this very interesting, it seems that their explaination or a shiny area caused by an asteroid or meteor impact makes sense.

On 9/3/2019 at 7:06 PM, Nnicolette said:

Is this the poop the astronauts left behind?

I am something of a result of the 80s when i hear "gel" i think boy bands will want it for their hair,

gel is a goo glass is hard did they poke a finger in the mucus?

Im thinking glass formed by a meteor impact. The "gel" is probably a translation error.

• Thanks 1