Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Vegan takes neighbour to court over BBQ smell

Still Waters

A Perth vegan has taken her neighbours all the way to the Supreme Court, demanding they stop smoking, bouncing balls and even cooking barbecues in their backyard.

Cilla Carden from Girrawheen, in Perth’s northern suburbs, said she is fed up with the smell of meat cooking on the barbecue next door.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/western-australia/perth-vegan-takes-neighbours-to-court-over-barbecue-smell-20190903-p52nc4.html

• Like 1
  • Haha 8
  • Confused 1

Nasty peice of work.  If she expects the neighbors to not use their yard because it bothers her, she should sell and move out to the country way away from anyone 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Now people will be looking for Vegan neighborhoods.  :lol:

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Still Waters said:

A Perth vegan has taken her neighbours all the way to the Supreme Court, demanding they stop smoking, bouncing balls and even cooking barbecues in their backyard.

Cilla Carden from Girrawheen, in Perth’s northern suburbs, said she is fed up with the smell of meat cooking on the barbecue next door.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/western-australia/perth-vegan-takes-neighbours-to-court-over-barbecue-smell-20190903-p52nc4.html

There's nothing worse than a smug vegan.

• Like 3

She would play right into my hands with her pathetic b****ing... She would soon have a for sale sign up outside her house...

• Like 2

She should be forced to work frying burgers for 6 years. Ya f.....g bellend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Her neighbor should send her a slab of ribs to settle the score :D

• Like 1

I have two questions, one, why does the court system allow such a thing to go to the supreme court?  two, why doesn't she just plant large bushes along the fence.?  They will grow tall enough to keep sound and smells out of her yard.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This would just encourage me to grill every night 

• Like 3

what a nasty liberal with entitlement complex,   that is just the beginning. it is only a matter of time before court agrees with her, don't believe me, watch, 

• Like 1

I've seen these kinds of stories on a home forum I'm on. People getting all worked up because a neighbor is legally using their yard as they like.

One person had a problem that their neighbor played music they didn't like- not that the music was loud or anything, the complaint was how to make the neighbor stop playing music they didn't like, perhaps get them to start playing music they did like. "I wouldn't mind the music all day if it was a station I liked.".

Another was unhappy their neighbor used those little solar walkway lights- because it lit up their neighbors walkways and was "light pollution". The person didn't want to see their neighbors yard while in their own yard in the evening.

Another was mad that the neighbor opted to park one of their cars on the street- because it detracted from their view of their own front yard- and wanted to know if there was a "nice" way to get the neighbor to stop so they could enjoy the view past their yard and across the street.

And of course, coming from where there's farm animals- I've heard LOTS of people complain through the years upon their visits or moving to the country that those farmers need to do something about those animals to make them smell less.

Many complaints that a neighbor cooked food the person didn't like the smell of- and had the nasty habit of leaving their windows open to stink up the whole neighborhood, the gall- or even worse, choosing to cook outside!

Others have pitched battles over if the neighbor is maintaining/mowing as much as the person found acceptable- including doing stuff like mowing the neighbors yard down, ripping out landscaping that wasn't pleasing, and killing/poisoning trees. Sometimes it's happened where a front yard isn't pleasing to the eye- and yep, the neighbor complains up the chain till the person with a perfectly lovely (if sometimes unconventional) front yard gets ordered to tear it out and replace with just lawn.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, rashore said:

I've seen these kinds of stories on a home forum I'm on. People getting all worked up because a neighbor is legally using their yard as they like.

One person had a problem that their neighbor played music they didn't like- not that the music was loud or anything, the complaint was how to make the neighbor stop playing music they didn't like, perhaps get them to start playing music they did like. "I wouldn't mind the music all day if it was a station I liked.".

Another was unhappy their neighbor used those little solar walkway lights- because it lit up their neighbors walkways and was "light pollution". The person didn't want to see their neighbors yard while in their own yard in the evening.

Another was mad that the neighbor opted to park one of their cars on the street- because it detracted from their view of their own front yard- and wanted to know if there was a "nice" way to get the neighbor to stop so they could enjoy the view past their yard and across the street.

And of course, coming from where there's farm animals- I've heard LOTS of people complain through the years upon their visits or moving to the country that those farmers need to do something about those animals to make them smell less.

Many complaints that a neighbor cooked food the person didn't like the smell of- and had the nasty habit of leaving their windows open to stink up the whole neighborhood, the gall- or even worse, choosing to cook outside!

Others have pitched battles over if the neighbor is maintaining/mowing as much as the person found acceptable- including doing stuff like mowing the neighbors yard down, ripping out landscaping that wasn't pleasing, and killing/poisoning trees. Sometimes it's happened where a front yard isn't pleasing to the eye- and yep, the neighbor complains up the chain till the person with a perfectly lovely (if sometimes unconventional) front yard gets ordered to tear it out and replace with just lawn.

I remember the web site for neighborhoods with a lot of posts about someone walking down the street with a bicycle.   Oh, they must be stealing the bicycle yet no one reported a bicycle stolen in the neighborhhood.  And some guy walking down the street whose clothes were a little raggedy.  He must be looking for a place to rob.  Some people just don't have enough real stuff to think about.

• Like 2

Around here instead of  neighborhoods they have allotments...thank God we didn't buy in one. They have all kinds of rules you have to agree to follow if you buy in the allotment. I don't get it. Once I buy, my house and yard are then under my provenance and I should be able to do with them what I like within the law. Why does the builder get to hang around enforcing arbitrary rules once I've purchased the property? I've never lived anywhere this was an issue.How can they ticket me or fine me? Are they gonna throw me in allotment jail? I'd be their nightmare house owner.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, skliss said:

Around here instead of  neighborhoods they have allotments...thank God we didn't buy in one. They have all kinds of rules you have to agree to follow if you buy in the allotment. I don't get it. Once I buy, my house and yard are then under my provenance and I should be able to do with them what I like within the law. Why does the builder get to hang around enforcing arbitrary rules once I've purchased the property? I've never lived anywhere this was an issue.How can they ticket me or fine me? Are they gonna throw me in allotment jail? I'd be their nightmare house owner.

We have neighborhoods like your allotments that have Neighborhood Associations and there have been wars over mailboxes and flags in those neighborhoods.  Even the color of the garage door has to be the right shade of tan or white or what ever.  Crazy.  I live in an old neighborhood and we don't have that.  Usually those associations are created by the developers in new subdivisions.

Though if you live in Santa Fe the whole city has rules about what colors and styles you can use when building a new house and how you have to maintain an old house to keep the Santa Fe look to all the houses.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

We have neighborhoods like your allotments that have Neighborhood Associations and there have been wars over mailboxes and flags in those neighborhoods.  Even the color of the garage door has to be the right shade of tan or white or what ever.  Crazy.  I live in an old neighborhood and we don't have that.  Usually those associations are created by the developers in new subdivisions.

Though if you live in Santa Fe the whole city has rules about what colors and styles you can use when building a new house and how you have to maintain an old house to keep the Santa Fe look to all the houses.

If I want to paint my garage door purple...too bad! Send me to allotment jail! I don't understand why the developers should be in any way involved after I purchase my home.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, skliss said:

If I want to paint my garage door purple...too bad! Send me to allotment jail! I don't understand why the developers should be in any way involved after I purchase my home.

I don't understand it either.  They are usually in the next state before all the houses are sold.

Just don't move to Santa Fe, you will get a notice and fines from the city for painting anything purple unless you put a mural on the garage door, that would probably be ok because it is art.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 2

Ok folks, go easy on me here. 

I am not a vegan, but this story is not just about that.

Ms Carden, a massage therapist, is also furious at cigarette smoke wafting into her yard and the sound of children playing with basketballs next door.

We have all heard about the neighbour from hell, not saying this one is, but what the story does not state, is how long each have lived there and who moved in first.

But as the other neighbours and the court have not taken her side, I can only assume her neighbours were not from hell.

I live a lifestyle where we can either be completely on our own or in a tight community. 

We have a new 'townie' neighbour who has bought a boat to go out at weekends with his wife and two young daughters. Nice enough family, until he asked us to move a rope on the pontoon incase his daughters tripped over it and the other day he moved our water hose.

We moved the rope, but the hose was not unwinded, when it is, it will be running down the pontoon and across the front of his boat on the path to the water point. Can not wait to.see what he says then. 

He is in for a shock when winter comes, can not wait til he asked us to turn off our stove burner because of the smoke.

We do use smokeless but sometimes we use wood, he has moved into a community, if he does not like it,  the options are

A - move

B - move

My point is, when you move somewhere, you have to respect those who lived there first and look at the neighbourhood you are moving to.

As this woman is a non smoker, having the smell of smoke wafting over would be quite annoying, so a polite please smoke on the other side of the garden should sort it. Looking at her back yard though, its pretty big, how big were the neighbours cigarettes?

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 5

I'd say she should wait this one out.

Chances are her neighbor will eventually die from coronary heart disease by eating all this crap.

Edited by crookedspiral

Twain-other-peoples-habits-wist_info-quo

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, crookedspiral said:

Chances are her neighbor will eventually die from coronary heart disease by eating all this crap.

From cooking fish? She said all she could smell was fish.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, crookedspiral said:

12 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

There's nothing worse than a smug vegan.

Take a long walk of a short jetty would ya. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

I have two questions, one, why does the court system allow such a thing to go to the supreme court?  two, why doesn't she just plant large bushes along the fence.?  They will grow tall enough to keep sound and smells out of her yard.

From the link:

But a Supreme Court judge and the State Administrative Tribunal have sided with her neighbours, dismissing her case.

Honestly, I hope it costs her every cent she has to keep losing this waste of time. What a beeech

• Like 2

8 hours ago, skliss said:

Sometimes it is thrust upon you. The house we live in was my husband's grandparent's. It became a designated historical area in 1991. Heavy restrictions were put on everyone at that time. About the only thing you can do without the hysterical society approval is the color of your house. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Michelle said:

From cooking fish? She said all she could smell was fish.

The Guardian article mentions ''meat and fish''. But I don't know. Barbecue people usually don't only eat fish. Though that's probably the strongest smell.

Edited by crookedspiral