Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Vegan takes neighbour to court over BBQ smell

Still Waters

2 hours ago, psyche101 said:

Take a long walk of a short jetty would ya. 

I'm just stating a scientific fact. Consumption of red meat is linked to heart disease. 

Edited by crookedspiral

4 minutes ago, crookedspiral said:

I'm just stating a scientific fact. Consumption of red meat is linked to heart disease. 

No, consumption of burnt red meat may contain carcinogens. 

And as has been pointed out to you, the complaint was of fish smells. Fish meat is not red or carcinogenic. 

And your not stating a fact. Your exaggerating as a smug vegan. Bleh. 

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

No, consumption of burnt red meat may contain carcinogens. 

Get you facts straight:

[LINK] Eating red meat daily triples heart disease-related chemical

[LINK]  Study links frequent red meat consumption to high levels of chemical associated with heart disease

[LINK] Replacing red meat with plant protein reduces heart disease risk

[LINK] Study explains how red meat raises heart disease risk

[LINK] Eating small amounts of red and processed meats may increase risk of early death

Eating red meat is bad for you. That's what the science proves.

And as has been pointed out to you, the complaint was of fish smells. Fish meat is not red or carcinogenic. 

Fish is probably the strongest smell. But the average person doesn't only cook fish on a BBQ. 

Edited by crookedspiral

meat is only bad for you this week. No doubt next week we’ll be told that a vegan diet leads to some sort of cancer that a diet of red meat avoids. 

Why do I think this? Because everything is killing you.

• Like 4

It is hard for people like her, having to endure that crazy mind of theirs. World does not spin around her, maybe mom forgot to tell her that :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Sir Smoke aLot said:

It is hard for people like her, having to endure that crazy mind of theirs. World does not spin around her, maybe mom forgot to tell her that :D

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, crookedspiral said:

This is not a vegan vs meat thread. Take your preaching elsewhere. 

https://www.atherosclerosis-journal.com/article/S0021-9150(15)30192-1/fulltext

20 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

There's nothing worse than a smug vegan.

Fish is probably the strongest smell. But the average person doesn't only cook fish on a BBQ. 

Did you read the link? You know, what the thread is about. 

“They’ve put it there so I smell fish, all I can smell is fish. I can’t enjoy my backyard, I can’t go out there.”

• Like 2

Fish is probably the strongest smell. 

Well excuse me. I shower every day. It can't be helped.:cry:

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

7 hours ago, Michelle said:

Sometimes it is thrust upon you. The house we live in was my husband's grandparent's. It became a designated historical area in 1991. Heavy restrictions were put on everyone at that time. About the only thing you can do without the hysterical society approval is the color of your house. :rolleyes:

I get the historical aspect....within reason. My sister in law however lived in a newer allotment that chose your house colors. Small color options and no same colors too close together. They fined one family for growing sunflowers in their backyard where, as you were walking down the street, you could just see one tiny corner of if you craned your neck in a certain way. Allotment Gestapo finding reasons to fine. I'd dig them all up and plant them smack dab in the middle of my front yard. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

meat is only bad for you this week. No doubt next week we’ll be told that a vegan diet leads to some sort of cancer that a diet of red meat avoids. 

Why do I think this? Because everything is killing you.

Lots of new thoughts about vegan diets.

Why You Should Think Twice About Vegetarian and Vegan Diets

Vegan diets, in particular, are almost completely devoid of certain nutrients that are crucial for physiological function. Deficiencies can take months or years to develop, and many are easily missed because they are not routinely tested for in primary care settings. Several studies have shown that both vegetarians and vegans are prone to deficiencies in:

• Vitamin B12
  • Calcium
  • Iron
  • Zinc
  • Long-chain fatty acids EPA and DHA
  • Fat-soluble vitamins like A and D

Let’s take a closer look at each of these nutrients.

More .....

https://chriskresser.com/why-you-should-think-twice-about-vegetarian-and-vegan-diets/

• Like 4

5 hours ago, psyche101 said:

This is not a vegan vs meat thread. Take your preaching elsewhere. 

You lost the argument. You just have to admit it.

• Confused 2

4 hours ago, skliss said:

Lots of new thoughts about vegan diets.

Why You Should Think Twice About Vegetarian and Vegan Diets

Vegan diets, in particular, are almost completely devoid of certain nutrients that are crucial for physiological function. Deficiencies can take months or years to develop, and many are easily missed because they are not routinely tested for in primary care settings. Several studies have shown that both vegetarians and vegans are prone to deficiencies in:

• Vitamin B12
  • Calcium
  • Iron
  • Zinc
  • Long-chain fatty acids EPA and DHA
  • Fat-soluble vitamins like A and D

Let’s take a closer look at each of these nutrients.

More .....

https://chriskresser.com/why-you-should-think-twice-about-vegetarian-and-vegan-diets/

What a load of bullcrap.

If appropriatly planned, a vegan diet is healthful, nutrionally adequate with many health benefits.

That's also the position of the American Dietetic Association:

It is the position of the American Dietetic Association that appropriately planned vegetarian diets, including total vegetarian or vegan diets, are healthful, nutritionally adequate, and may provide health benefits in the prevention and treatment of certain diseases. Well-planned vegetarian diets are appropriate for individuals during all stages of the life cycle, including pregnancy, lactation, infancy, childhood, and adolescence, and for athletes. A vegetarian diet is defined as one that does not include meat (including fowl) or seafood, or products containing those foods. This article reviews the current data related to key nutrients for vegetarians including protein, n-3 fatty acids, iron, zinc, iodine, calcium, and vitamins D and B-12. A vegetarian diet can meet current recommendations for all of these nutrients. In some cases, supplements or fortified foods can provide useful amounts of important nutrients. An evidence- based review showed that vegetarian diets can be nutritionally adequate in pregnancy and result in positive maternal and infant health outcomes. The results of an evidence-based review showed that a vegetarian diet is associated with a lower risk of death from ischemic heart disease. Vegetarians also appear to have lower low-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels, lower blood pressure, and lower rates of hypertension and type 2 diabetes than nonvegetarians. Furthermore, vegetarians tend to have a lower body mass index and lower overall cancer rates. Features of a vegetarian diet that may reduce risk of chronic disease include lower intakes of saturated fat and cholesterol and higher intakes of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, nuts, soy products, fiber, and phytochemicals. The variability of dietary practices among vegetarians makes individual assessment of dietary adequacy essential. In addition to assessing dietary adequacy, food and nutrition professionals can also play key roles in educating vegetarians about sources of specific nutrients, food purchase and preparation, and dietary modifications to meet their needs.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19562864

It seems that some people here don't rely on science when it comes to nutrition but rather on some deeply held beliefs and myth.

Edited by crookedspiral

2 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Having been vegan before, I understand why herbivore are grazing animals. You're perpetually hungry.

You probably were eating a deficient diet to begin with. That's why you always felt hungry and went back to eating animal products.

Edited by crookedspiral

Folks, knock it off with the derailing vegan vs meat bickering.

The lady complaining isn't unhappy about just the BBQ smell, she's unhappy about people smoking and allowing children to play outside as well.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, crookedspiral said:

You probably were eating a deficient diet to begin with.

So do you eat a lot of potatoes to keep you filled up?  Are you 7th day Adventist or just vegan?  We had a restaraunt in town for a lot of years that was 7th Day Adventist and their food was very good.  I could not eat it every day but I enjoyed it when I had the chance.

2 minutes ago, crookedspiral said:

You probably were eating a deficient diet to begin with.

Nope. Felt tired, sick, irritable, was a freaking salad shooter. Plant based diets are horrible. I often wondered why most vegans/vegetarian look like concentration camp survivors. From experience I know. And soy based products will wreck a man's testosterone levels. 

Added eggs, chicken, fish, and deer back into my diet and I was told.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Nope. Felt tired, sick, irritable, was a freaking salad shooter. Plant based diets are horrible. I often wondered why most vegans/vegetarian look like concentration camp survivors. From experience I know. And soy based products will wreck a man's testosterone levels. 

Show the science. What is the evidence that ''soy wreck a man's testosterone levels'' or that an appropritely planned vegan diet leads to malnourishment? I eat plenty of soy and have no testosterone issues. I eat a plant-based diet and I am not underweight.  I also work out a lot and have plenty of energy. So show me the data. Again, you were eating a deficient diet and are trying to generalise from your own subjective experience.

qic4yq1r7w411-min.png.d1617f21424a837f858ed14846ac8864.png

Edited by crookedspiral
  • Haha 1

Indeed, lets stay on topic... Came across this new article about it.

Thousands to attend mass BBQ outside home of vegan who SUED her neighbours for cooking meat: https://www.irishpost.com/news/thousands-attend-mass-bbq-outside-home-vegan-sued-neighbours-cooking-meat-170903?fbclid=IwAR3lBqYtP2g5oOhibzKJhL6WYI6NA-pDCICdXG-BZ72uNMHCn8laqK74nfw

• Haha 5

11 hours ago, crookedspiral said:

It all depends on how much you consume. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, rashore said:

The lady complaining isn't unhappy about just the BBQ smell, she's unhappy about people smoking and allowing children to play outside as well.

Sorry. I was just interested because I saw talk of recent studies.

I have a great way to shut up those self absorbed snooties like the woman in the article..

Designate a night where every person on that block goes out on their porch/patio and grills a slab of steak/fish/Bacon. etc on one night..better yet, get a really cheap cut of meat, the ones with mostly fat on it so it really smokes then watch the fun unfold.

Seriously...unless someone was burning a dead raccoon under your window, mind your own beeswax..the neighbors are not obligated to change their lives and change their diets because one person doesn't like grilled meat. Too bad..don't like it then stay indoors when someone is grilling.

I have a next door neighbor (we live in a townhouse) who goes out on her patio and smokes..I don't like the smell so I just close my bedroom window ('cause that's where the smell comes in) until she has gone back inside. Problem solved!

• Like 2

On 9/4/2019 at 10:12 AM, rashore said:

That above all blew me away.  WTH, kids aren't allowed to play outside?  Were they doing it at 3 am?  Again, she needs to move out to the country if people aren't allowed to use their backyard as they want because she doesn't like it.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, glorybebe said:

That above all blew me away.  WTH, kids aren't allowed to play outside?  Were they doing it at 3 am?  Again, she needs to move out to the country if people aren't allowed to use their backyard as they want because she doesn't like it.

Oh no, I think this lady would be even more unhappy in the country as she might run in to livestock or other animals.  She is just a narcissistic sociopath.

• Haha 2