Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is Trump trying to destroy the US economy ?

Unusual Tournament

4 hours ago, Doug1o29 said:

The truth is that you don't know the truth.  I have worked in the woods for 30 years.  Hunting season is always dangerous for woods workers because "hunters" shoot at sounds without checking what they're shooting at (Happened to me).  They routinely break hunting and shooting laws by shooting across property lines or within 100 feet of a road or house.  And most of the hunters you meet out in the woods have had a little too much to drink and are NOT responsible gun owners.

Hunting, to me, is not a justification for gun ownership.

Keep your guns in your house where they're only a danger to you and your family.

Doug

Doug is right.  When I was a teenager my family owned a kennel on a rural highway in a small town.  Behind the kennel we had 4 acres of open field and the property behind us was about the same size and open field.  That property was accessible to vehicles.  My dad had a family of quail that he was protecting, monitoring etc.  They were his project and they stayed on our property.   There were 5 kids and serveral dogs a goat and a mule that hung out and played in that field.  One day a hunter came and he had seen quail in our back field and wanted to know if he could hunt back there.  I told him no, we have kids, dogs and a mule back there and those quail belong to my dad.  He went away and I thought nothing of it until my youngest brother came running to tell me there was a man on the back fence throwing hunting dogs over the fence and he had a rifle.  I went back there and our 5 hunting dogs had his 3 dogs against the fence and he was standing on the fence holding his fourth dog.  I asked him why he was here and why he did not believe me when I said no.  He was afraid for his dogs suddenly and asked me to let him get his dogs and he would go.  I told him he had to come get the dogs and talk to my mother.  He took the one dog, got in his pickup and drove back around.  I got our dogs to back off and had my brothers take the hounds to a kennel.  That man obviously was a stupid hunter.  How can people think like that?  The sheriff could have had him in jail if my parents weren't home because he was trespassing and creating a threat to children.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Doug is right.  When I was a teenager my family owned a kennel on a rural highway in a small town.  Behind the kennel we had 4 acres of open field and the property behind us was about the same size and open field.  That property was accessible to vehicles.  My dad had a family of quail that he was protecting, monitoring etc.  They were his project and they stayed on our property.   There were 5 kids and serveral dogs a goat and a mule that hung out and played in that field.  One day a hunter came and he had seen quail in our back field and wanted to know if he could hunt back there.  I told him no, we have kids, dogs and a mule back there and those quail belong to my dad.  He went away and I thought nothing of it until my youngest brother came running to tell me there was a man on the back fence throwing hunting dogs over the fence and he had a rifle.  I went back there and our 5 hunting dogs had his 3 dogs against the fence and he was standing on the fence holding his fourth dog.  I asked him why he was here and why he did not believe me when I said no.  He was afraid for his dogs suddenly and asked me to let him get his dogs and he would go.  I told him he had to come get the dogs and talk to my mother.  He took the one dog, got in his pickup and drove back around.  I got our dogs to back off and had my brothers take the hounds to a kennel.  That man obviously was a stupid hunter.  How can people think like that?  The sheriff could have had him in jail if my parents weren't home because he was trespassing and creating a threat to children.

trespassing,  wrong 100%  you would be less wrong if you shot him, maybe even within the laws of your state, and he deserved it.

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Doug1o29 said:

The only time I ever wanted to carry a gun in the woods is during hunting season so I could shoot back.

Doug

After sharing experiences with a whole lot of people, we wonder if all of the close calls are accidents.  For every 1000 careless and crazy idiots, is there one psychopath who uses hunting season as a cover?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, aztek said:

trespassing,  wrong 100% 

In some rural counties in New Mexico it is still legal to shoot trespassers.  In the cities they have to actually be inside your house before you can shoot them.

• Like 1

Just now, Tatetopa said:

After sharing experiences with a whole lot of people, we wonder if all of the close calls are accidents.  For every 1000 careless and crazy idiots, is there one psychopath who uses hunting season as a cover?

You mean like that old man who was vice president for a while?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

If the dogs were harassing livestock, you could have killed them on the spot.  The fact that you had a goat wuld be justification enough.  Some dog owner - risking his dogs lives over some quail.

Doug

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Doug1o29 said:

If the dogs were harassing livestock, you could have killed them on the spot.  The fact that you had a goat wuld be justification enough.  Some dog owner - risking his dogs lives over some quail.

Doug

Well, our dogs were protective of our property to intruders so the hounds were not able to get near the goat or the mule.  The boys happened to be playing in the back and saw him drive up and start dropping his dogs over the fence.  Since we had 5 standard poodles out there those hounds had no chance to do anything.  My mother did not agree with me about calling the sheriff.

Edited by Desertrat56

3 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Didn't we already shoot some VIP and call it a hunting accident?  Back during the Bush administration, I think.  The guy survived.  The shooter never checked his field of fire.

Doug

Just now, Doug1o29 said:

Didn't we already shoot some VIP and call it a hunting accident?  Back during the Bush administration, I think.  The guy survived.  The shooter never checked his field of fire.

Doug

Yep, that's the one.  The VP shot his friend in the face.  It must have been bird shot as the man survived.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Desertrat56 said:

Well, our dogs were protective of intruders so the hounds were not able to get near the goat or the mule.  The boys happened to be playing in the back and saw him drive up and start dropping his dogs over the fence.  Since we had 5 standard poodles out there those hounds had no chance to do anything.  My mother did not agree with me about calling the sheriff.

My wife's roommate from college had some hunters come right up on their porch and shoot a pet deer.

Samson was a tame elk who wandered around Estes Park, Colorado freely.  Some "hunters" shot him right in the middle of town.

I'm having real trouble seeing hunting as a "sport."  More like mindless blood-letting.

Doug

• Like 1

Just now, aztek said:

well he shot a lawyer,  i have a mixed feeling about it, lol

What's black and brown and looks good on a lawyer?

Answer:  a rotweiller.

Doug

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

That man obviously was a stupid hunter.  How can people think like that? 

More than stupid I would say, totally selfish.

2 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Maybe.  Our discussion was brought about by a tragic accident in the family of a saw filer we knew.  He and his brother, his two sons and his niece were hunting chukar in wheat stubble in Eastern Oregon.  They were using shotguns and had permission from the farmer.  They were standing on a rise looking over the fields.  The niece collapsed. She died on the spot, killed by a high powered rifle bullet.  State police investigated, found nothing, it was ruled an accident.  We wondered; accident?  The family was in plain sight silhouetted on a hilltop.  Nobody came forward claiming an accident. Bird hunting is a shotgun enterprise out there, no good reason for anybody to have a rifle.   It is possible that the shot came from several hundred yards away and was an accident, but if it was an elk hunter, it was out of season by a week or two.,

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Doug1o29 said:

My wife's roommate from college had some hunters come right up on their porch and shoot a pet deer.

Samson was a tame elk who wandered around Estes Park, Colorado freely.  Some "hunters" shot him right in the middle of town.

I'm having real trouble seeing hunting as a "sport."  More like mindless blood-letting.

Doug

It would be different if those hunters respected private property and only shot animals for food.  It should not be a sport.  We had a govenor in the 50's that was a big game hunter.  His ranch house is a museum now and it is full of animal skins and taxidermied large animals.  It makes no sense to me.

5 minutes ago, aztek said:

well he shot a lawyer,  i have a mixed feeling about it, lol

LOL like someone in Albuquerque shooting a truck driver on the freeway, something most of us have thought about once or twice but a guy actually did it and most people, including me, felt like we understood why. Not condoning it, just understanding it.

4 minutes ago, Doug1o29 said:

It is mostly a "sport" now.   When my wife was growing up in Montana, her dad was a logger and road builder.  A lot of their meals were fish and game he brought home, heavy on the fish, and vegetables and fruit from the garden.  They were hard working, low income people as many were 40-50 years ago in rural areas.  Still are today I would guess.

4 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

LOL like someone in Albuquerque shooting a truck driver on the freeway, something most of us have thought about once or twice but a guy actually did it and most people, including me, felt like we understood why. Not condoning it, just understanding it.

you mean because they drive like idiots?

2 minutes ago, aztek said:

you mean because they drive like idiots?

Yes, but worse than that.  They drive 90 in a 55 mile an hour zone, cut people off or ride on their bumper honking and shaking their fist when there is no other traffice, then pull into the next lane, pass and pull back in front of the car and slam on the brakes.  Or they fall asleep and literally run over small cars because they are going 90 in a 75 or 55 zone.  And, I noticed the behavior driving through Albuquerque has changed since that guy shot one of them.  There are still some that drive like idiots trying to pass someone up hill when their truck can't get up to speed and blocking everyone but not like it was before.

• Like 1

I don't know ... in PA and Oh I've never known anyone who hunted without using the meat. I do know some will donate theirs to homeless shelters or food banks. 

• Like 1

Just now, Desertrat56 said:

Yes, but worse than that.  They drive 90 in a 55 mile an hour zone, cut people off or ride on their bumper honking and shaking their fist when there is no other traffice, then pull into the next lane, pass and pull back in front of the car and slam on the brakes.  Or they fall asleep and literally run over small cars because they are going 90 in a 75 or 55 zone.  And, I noticed the behavior driving through Albuquerque has changed since that guy shot one of them.  There are still some that drive like idiots trying to pass someone up hill when their truck can't get up to speed and blocking everyone but not like it was before.

well, one more proof, no laws are more effective than a bullet. 

but if you think NM truck drivers are bad, come to NYC and see how our taxi drivers are,  if nyc allowed people to carry, there would be many dead taxi cab drivers.

2 minutes ago, skliss said:

I don't know ... in PA and Oh I've never known anyone who hunted without using the meat. I do know some will donate theirs to homeless shelters or food banks. 

I knew a lot of people that did shoot small animals just for the fun of killing.  They never ate anything they shot.