Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sugar-free drinks linked to higher death risk

Eldorado

"Here’s some less-than refreshing news about soda: even sugar-free versions were associated with a higher risk of death in a study of 452,000 people in 10 countries.

"The study, published Tuesday by the Journal of the American Medical Association, found that people who drank two or more glasses of soft drinks per day were more likely to die from all types of ailments, compared with people who drank less than one glass per month.

Full report at Market Watch dot com: https://www.marketwatch.com/story/even-sugar-free-sodas-were-linked-to-a-higher-risk-of-death-in-study-of-452000-people-2019-09-03

At NewsHub NZ: https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/lifestyle/2019/09/sugar-free-soft-drinks-linked-to-increased-risk-of-death.html

"Association Between Soft Drink Consumption and Mortality in 10 European Countries"

Research Paper Abstract at JAMA: https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/article-abstract/2749350

• Like 2

Stick to H2O its the best

• Like 5

Can I assume they accounted for all other factors such as pre-existing ailments, cardiovascular health, current diet, smoking, etc? Stevia is plant based, sucralose is barely absorbed as it passes through the body so the only sweetener to keep an eye on is aspartame. Oh, and corn syrup. I used to be spooked by artificial sugars as well until I was finally bothered to do a little research. A lot of fear mongering and sugar industry shills

• Like 3

I remember when eggs were dangerous cholesterol bombs. Then one day they became healthy.

Always take publications like this with a degree of skepticism.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

You cant... fluoride.

Get a filter and only drink filtered water.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I knew it! I can't stand the stuff anyway but I have gut trouble which artificial sweeteners aren't good for either and they put it in EVERYTHING, with no warning whatsoever to indicate it's "reduced calorie." (and usually in combination with real sugar, which is about the height of foolishness.)

@Dark-grey, I can give you a nice long list of botanic toxins. Just because something's plant-based doesn't mean it's good for you.

• Thanks 3

19 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Get a filter and only drink filtered water.

You think filters remove fluoride?

I only drink rain water.

2 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

You think filters remove fluoride?

I only drink rain water.

They are supposed to, but I use a brita filter (carbon), then I pour that water through a 5 tier filter, the last tier adding back the minerals.  Maybe Reverse Osmosis would be better, I don't know.  Not all cities put fluoride in the water.

49 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

I only drink rain water.

There's carbonic acid in rain water. It's actually a mild club soda.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Dark-grey, I can give you a nice long list of botanic toxins. Just because something's plant-based doesn't mean it's good for you.

As a general rule, plant based products tend to cause less issues in humans. Exceptions are just that - exceptions. Now, does a plant based sweetener cause more or less issues than white sugar? I would argue less. Concentrated sugar is almost poisonous in the human body. We just aren't built to process it in such intense doses without fiber and other materials that you would find in natural fruits.

2 hours ago, Oniomancer said:

I knew it! I can't stand the stuff anyway but I have gut trouble which artificial sweeteners aren't good for either and they put it in EVERYTHING, with no warning whatsoever to indicate it's "reduced calorie." (and usually in combination with real sugar, which is about the height of foolishness.)

Do you take probiotics? If you get gut issues from artificial sweeteners, there is probably a bigger issue to deal with there. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

As a general rule, plant based products tend to cause less issues in humans. Exceptions are just that - exceptions. Now, does a plant based sweetener cause more or less issues than white sugar? I would argue less. Concentrated sugar is almost poisonous in the human body. We just aren't built to process it in such intense doses without fiber and other materials that you would find in natural fruits.

Do you take probiotics? If you get gut issues from artificial sweeteners, there is probably a bigger issue to deal with there. 

Did you know that white sugar is plant based?  The problems it causes are due to over use, not due to the fact that it is sugar.  Most artificial sweeteners may start out plant based (usually same plant as sugar itself or corn) then are chemically modified,  even stevia is not sold pure.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Did you know that white sugar is plant based?  The problems it causes are due to over use, not due to the fact that it is sugar.  Most artificial sweeteners may start out plant based (usually same plant as sugar itself or corn) then are chemically modified,  even stevia is not sold pure.

White sugar doesn't come from sugar mines? My whole life is a lie...:rofl:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, RabidMongoose said:

You cant... fluoride.

Every drink has some amount of water in it homie lol

43 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

I try to though ideally I should be cutting out sugars in general.

Stevia's kind of on the fence leaning toward beneficial but sucralose, the main artificial sweetener they all seem to use, is shown in studies to reduce intestinal flora.

There is sugar free soda in my fridge. Good thing it tastes disgusting..... won't ever drink it again

1 minute ago, CWe said:

There is sugar free soda in my fridge. Good thing it tastes disgusting..... won't ever drink it again

Well if you look at it from another angle - your still gonna die. so why worry.

I've always found that one can substitute the phrases 'sugar free' and 'fat free' with 'chemical sh!t storm' and be completely accurate.

• Thanks 1