Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Large eel-like creature filmed in River Ness

UM-Bot

I saw something quickly zoom past for about a second, but its too dark and murky to get a good glimpse. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, CloudSix said:

Are eels common there?

Yes, they are common all around Scotland, I have seen smaller ones swim by me while standing on the shores of the lochs fishing, it wouldn't surprise me if Nessie didn't turn out to be some hybrid eel. I heard about a guy that was in Loch Lomand and an eel grabbed and wrapped around his leg. Loch Lomand has the largest surface area of any loch in Scotland, Loch Morar is the deepest Loch, I know a guy that swears he saw a lake monster while running his boat on Morar, he bought a bed and breakfast and never went on the water again. Then we have Loch Ness, the largest Loch by volume of water, it contains more water than all the lakes in England and Whales together. 

• Like 6

Well. I'm convinced. All the stories are true folks!

Still a cool video though. Love seeing underwater creatures in their natural habitats acting as natural as possible.

Edited by Robotic Jew
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Iilaa'mpuul'xem said:

Yes, they are common all around Scotland, I have seen smaller ones swim by me while standing on the shores of the lochs fishing, it wouldn't surprise me if Nessie didn't turn out to be some hybrid eel. I heard about a guy that was in Loch Lomand and an eel grabbed and wrapped around his leg. Loch Lomand has the largest surface area of any loch in Scotland, Loch Morar is the deepest Loch, I know a guy that swears he saw a lake monster while running his boat on Morar, he bought a bed and breakfast and never went on the water again. Then we have Loch Ness, the largest Loch by volume of water, it contains more water than all the lakes in England and Whales together. 

Nice, thanks for the info!

It's not that hard to imagine that some Nessie sightings are of eels, it would be really cool if we could get even a better look.

Is it allowed to catch eels, do they have a hunting season?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, CloudSix said:

Nice, thanks for the info!

It's not that hard to imagine that some Nessie sightings are of eels, it would be really cool if we could get even a better look.

Is it allowed to catch eels, do they have a hunting season?

You can fish eels, we don't really have hunting seasons as such part from the culling of Deer, grouse pheasants etc.. 

Eels taste crap though, I wouldn't want one given especially congers that are brought in from fishing trawlers caught in the pots and traps... YUK 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Scholar4Truth said:

I saw something quickly zoom past for about a second, but its too dark and murky to get a good glimpse. 

Well, its just a common eel, so you didnt miss anything.

• Like 1

Could someone time-stamp the eel in the video? Maybe it happened too fast for me (or I need a better phone)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, pallidin said:

Could someone time-stamp the eel in the video? Maybe it happened too fast for me (or I need a better phone)

It happens pretty near the beginning. But it's almost just a shadow moving across the screen. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, pallidin said:

Eel Swims into shot on the close to the top left at around 1 second in.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Iilaa'mpuul'xem said:

You can fish eels, we don't really have hunting seasons as such part from the culling of Deer, grouse pheasants etc.. 

Eels taste crap though, I wouldn't want one given especially congers that are brought in from fishing trawlers caught in the pots and traps... YUK 

What I meant to say is.. I have had congers offered to me that have been caught in the pots and traps that were set for lobsters and crabs, disgusting creatures and taste like crap, when you eventually chew through the rubber... 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Iilaa'mpuul'xem said:

Yeah, we have here in the saltwater something similar, and it also doesn't taste very good on its own, but if you mix it with other fish in a broth, that's a different story altogether.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Iilaa'mpuul'xem said:

What I meant to say is.. I have had congers offered to me that have been caught in the pots and traps that were set for lobsters and crabs, disgusting creatures and taste like crap, when you eventually chew through the rubber... 

Really? Where are you getting lobster? Cold water, so I'm thinking Scotland?

• Like 1

Do not watch the embedded video on the UM site (it’s really blurry), go to the Facebook Source and you will see a higher definition video.

If that thing is not a hoax, it’s absolutely massive!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Vox said:

Do not watch the embedded video on the UM site (it’s really blurry), go to the Facebook Source and you will see a higher definition video.

If that thing is not a hoax, it’s absolutely massive!

It seems like a normal sized eel to me. They can grow rather big.

Edited by Ultimatium
  • Like 1

So do people choose to eat eels? Here in ETx we have large carp that no one fishes for, but you always hear that you can stew them. No one seems to know anyone who has actually tried it, though.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Scholar4Truth said:

I saw nothing. But it must be something if people are seeing something really big. If there’s smoke there’s fire.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Iilaa'mpuul'xem said:

Eels taste really good smoked,so do mullet which tastes bad to me normally cooked.

2 hours ago, DirtyDocMartens said:

So do people choose to eat eels? Here in ETx we have large carp that no one fishes for, but you always hear that you can stew them. No one seems to know anyone who has actually tried it, though.

Carp taste like mud but my Italian mate cooks them with sauce and they are great.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I see it when paused between 3 and 4 seconds. In the center of video about 3/4 up the video picture. It's at least as thick as that "salmon".

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Captain Risky said:

I saw nothing. But it must be something if people are seeing something really big. If there’s smoke there’s fire.

I couldn't see anything either, maybe it just me.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Really? Where are you getting lobster? Cold water, so I'm thinking Scotland?

Yes, The Isle of Mull.

• Like 2

It looks very long and skinny - as the article said it's hard to measure how big it really is, also we don't have the measurements for that fish in the foreground.  Does anyone know what sort of fish that is and if it's fully grown or not  Just out of curiosity. ;) 

• Like 1