Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Large eel-like creature filmed in River Ness

UM-Bot

On 9/6/2019 at 9:01 PM, the13bats said:

yeah, in orlando certian folks would use throw nets, no license required, and catch nile perch, a trash fish more bones than meat, when i would catch big black catfish rhose folks wanted them, i couldnt say no, they were feeding their families,

i asked them how they eat the perch, they bssically do make a fish muddle with very little prep, heads left on, it sounds horrifying to me but with the right spice who knows,

Are you sure it was nile perch? 

3 hours ago, justin3651 said:

Are you sure it was nile perch? 

well, yes and maybe, the guys who were catching them called them "nile perch" and know their fish, i honestly didnt pay much attention, their nets came up with pan fish  bluegills, stone rollers, bull heads, shinners, and once in a while baby cats, little turtles and snakeheads and mudfish, and even more rare greater sirens.

a heck of a lot of people insist nile perch are the same as talipapa, what they caught didnt look like talaipa,

there are 2, 3 perhaps more introduced species to every native species here in fl,

i used to be forced to watersport in a chain of lakes with lots of rich houses and golf areas, those people would buy cute little fish that grew and dump them in their backyard lake, African cichlids are thick as are Plecostomus,

basically any amazon fish can thrive here,

so am i sure they caught nile perch no, but them telling me they were is good enough for me.

Edited by the13bats

22 minutes ago, the13bats said:

well, yes and maybe, the guys who were catching them called them "nile perch" and know their fish, i honestly didnt pay much attention, their nets came up with pan fish  bluegills, stone rollers, bull heads, shinners, and once in a while baby cats, little turtles and snakeheads and mudfish, and even more rare greater sirens.

a heck of a lot of people insist nile perch are the same as talipapa, what they caught didnt look like talipapa,

there are 2, 3 perhaps more introduced species to every native species here in fl,

i used to be forced to watersport in a chain of lakes with lots of rich houses and golf areas, those people would buy cute little fish that grew and dump them in their backyard lake, African cichlids are thick as are Plecostomus,

basically any amazon fish can thrive here,

so am i sure they caught nile perch no, but them telling me they were is good enough for me.

Nile perch grow to enormous sizes, up to 200kg. 20 to 30 pounders would be common. They are voracious and grow quite quickly when food is abundant. If they were catching smaller fish, it is doubtful they were Nile perch.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Hankenhunter said:

Nile perch grow to enormous sizes, up to 200kg. 20 to 30 pounders would be common. They are voracious and grow quite quickly when food is abundant. If they were catching smaller fish, it is doubtful they were Nile perch.

I dont care basically any, lol, lots of cast netters in central florida called them nile perch, which they looked like what is called nile perch on google and those guys knew their fish, if they are wrong so what who cares, or rather i dont care, i could call call them "invasive pan fish" and someone will get uptight and say, well bats, the invasive pan fish is actually...blah blah yada yada,

what i did find interesting is sites that claim nile perch and tilapia are the same then the next site says no there not,

here is what the guys caught in cast nets and call nile perch....

Edited by the13bats
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, the13bats said:

if they are wrong so what who cares, , i could call call them "invasive pan fish" and someone will get uptight and say, well bats, the invasive pan fish is actually

As a large freshwater fish enthusiast, I was curious. I was asking if you were sure that's what they said to try and figure out if they were mis using nile perch or if they (actual Nile perch) had been released illegally at some point in florida. I suspected it was a misnomer because of the reasons hankenhunter listed of their large size, quick reproduction, and habit of eating pretty much anything that fits in their mouths but I thought I'd ask to b e sure.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/os-xpm-1988-02-24-0020150037-story.html

According to a 16 year veteran of the Florida game and freshwater fish council

"Sometimes tilapia are called Nile perch, but that name is a misnomer."

"Somehow, the tilapia, and that, by the way, is its scientific name, got called Nile perch, but the tilapia is definitely not Nile perch. The Nile perch is a native of Africa and reaches from 150 to 200 pounds at maturity," McKinney said."

My only issue with what he says is the size, that is an average but they have been recorded up to 440 lbs+ .

Edited by justin3651
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, justin3651 said:

As a large freshwater fish enthusiast, I was curious. I was asking if you were sure that's what they said to try and figure out if they were mis using nile perch or if they (actual Nile perch) had been released illegally at some point in florida. I suspected it was a misnomer because of the reasons hankenhunter listed of their large size, quick reproduction, and habit of eating pretty much anything that fits in their mouths but I thought I'd ask to b e sure.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/os-xpm-1988-02-24-0020150037-story.html

According to a 16 year veteran of the Florida game and freshwater fish council

"Sometimes tilapia are called Nile perch, but that name is a misnomer."

"Somehow, the tilapia, and that, by the way, is its scientific name, got called Nile perch, but the tilapia is definitely not Nile perch. The Nile perch is a native of Africa and reaches from 150 to 200 pounds at maturity," McKinney said."

My only issue with what he says is the size, that is an average but they have been recorded up to 440 lbs+ .

Its basically illegal to release any non native fish here, so if thats the argument its just beyond weak, because we have them in great numbers countless species,  oh i have been an exotic aquarium person about 45 years, so what ? doesnt mean im always right and doesnt mean some guy who was wrong about one thing in the newspaper you disagree with was right about the parts you happen to agree with,

i am good with the guys who called them nile perch knowing their fish, if your not thats fine.

but on the video of the young man with his catch, what do you believe that fish is?

I've seen Nle perch in Lake Vic in Africa. They are huge and eaten by many people.

They are responsible for one of the great mass extinctions of vertebrates as the Nile perch have pushed many cichlids into extinction.

I saw two men carrying a Nile perch over to scales for weighing. I asked if I could take a photo since the men had put a rod through its gills and the fish they held over their heads was dragging on the ground. Everone laughed and said go ahead. I got a photo. Then they told told why everyone laughed. I had taken a photo of a small fish.

• Haha 1

On 9/10/2019 at 2:01 AM, the13bats said:

Its basically illegal to release any non native fish here, so if thats the argument its just beyond weak, because we have them in great numbers countless species,  oh i have been an exotic aquarium person about 45 years, so what ? doesnt mean im always right and doesnt mean some guy who was wrong about one thing in the newspaper you disagree with was right about the parts you happen to agree with,

i am good with the guys who called them nile perch knowing their fish, if your not thats fine.

but on the video of the young man with his catch, what do you believe that fish is?

You have misunderstood me. I fully believe that many exotic species have and continue to be introduced to waters all over the planet.

I was pointing out that he had listed an average when he said 150-200 lbs but that they have been recorded even larger. I misspoke when I said he was kinda wrong. I was adding to what he said, not disproving it.

The guy in the video calling it Nile perch and the people calling it that is inaccurate, regardless of how many people do so. I believe it's a tilapia in the video. Even if it's not though it's not a nile perch.

• 2 months later...

This paranormal cryptid post reminds me alot of water horses like Kelpies or Puca who are actually water goblins who drown or eat unfortunate people and unfortunate animals who get to close to water.