Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

European Satellite Dodges Potential

toast

A European Earth-observation satellite performed an evasive maneuver yesterday (Sept. 2) to make sure it didn't collide with one of SpaceX's recently launched internet craft.

The European Space Agency's (ESA) Aeolus satellite fired its thrusters yesterday morning, raising its orbit to pass safely over that of "Starlink 44," one of the first 60 satellites in SpaceX's envisioned internet megaconstellation.

"The manoeuvre took place about 1/2 an orbit before the potential collision. Not long after the collision was expected, #Aeolus called home as usual to send back its science data — proving the manoeuvre was successful and a collision was indeed avoided," ESA officials said via Twitter yesterday.

"It is very rare to perform collision-avoidance manoeuvres with active satellites. The vast majority of ESA avoidance manoeuvres are the result of dead satellites or fragments from previous collisions. #SpaceDebris," they added in another tweet.

(...)

ESA reached out to SpaceX, which apparently also received the same collision alert. But SpaceX declined to move Starlink 44, said Holger Krag, who heads ESA's Space Debris Office.

"Based on this, we informed SpaceX, who replied and said that they do not plan to take action," Krag told Forbes. "It was at least clear who had to react."

link

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, toast said:

"Based on this, we informed SpaceX, who replied and said that they do not plan to take action," Krag told Forbes. "It was at least clear who had to react."

We all know what kind of screwheads run this operation. :td:

I hope Musk tries to get to Mars and we can watch his freeze dried body floating around from the Tesla Cam. :yes:

• Like 5

2 hours ago, OverSword said:

Watch out for that Eurosat!  Damn, that was close.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRGoGa7SYhaVy8PMueCaOj

I wonder if he was stoned when he dreamed up the idea of sending his car into orbit with a mannequin?  Too funny...

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, and then said:

I wonder if he was stoned when he dreamed up the idea of sending his car into orbit with a mannequin?  Too funny...

It’s a hell of a time capsule isn’t it? I would love to see when they recover that in a few centuries 

sorry, off topic 

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, OverSword said:

It’s a hell of a time capsule isn’t it? I would love to see when they recover that in a few centuries 

Micro meteorite, exposure to direct gamma rays and free floating hydrocarbons.

It's not going to have any paint, upholstery or tires and look like a greasy version of the Bonnie and Clyde car. :yes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Alien 1:" Captain, we have a very strange object on our radar"

Alien 2:"How does it looks like?"

Alien 1: "Well, uhm, it looks like a car. Like our cars, somehow."

Alien 2:"What? A car in space?"

Alien 1."Yeah. Maybe it was able to reach the escape velocity of its origin planet. That would be a breathtaking acceleration capability."

Alien 2"Navigator, track its origin, we will go there. I want one of these."

Alien 1:"En route in T-20, Captain. Estimated time of arrival at %"(( tomorrow.