Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Are You Experienced?

Will Due

ex·pe·ri·ence
/ˌikˈspirēəns/

noun
  1. practical contact with and observation of facts or events.
    "he had already learned his lesson by painful experience"
    synonyms: involvement in, participation in; 
    contact with, acquaintance with, exposure to; 
    observation of, awareness of; 
    familiarity with, conversance with, understanding of, impression of, insight into
    "David gained his first experience of business with his father and brothers"

verb
  1. encounter or undergo (an event or occurrence).
    "the company is experiencing difficulties"
    synonyms: undergo, encounter, meet, have experience of, come into contact with, run into, come across, come up against, face, be faced with, confront, be forced to contend with; 
    feel, know, become familiar with; 
    live/go through, sustain, suffer, endure, tolerate; 
    participate in, taste, try

I'm sure you'll agree that thinking is an experience. 

The above definition says that an experience is "practical contact with" and an "encounter".

When it comes to the experience of thought, what do you think you're encountering and having practical contact with?

Edited by Will Due

26 minutes ago, Will Due said:

ex·pe·ri·ence
/ˌikˈspirēəns/

noun
    familiarity with, conversance with, understanding of, impression of, insight into

verb
    synonyms: undergo, encounter, meet, have experience of, come into contact with, run into, come across, come up against, face, be faced with, confront, be forced to contend with; 

The above definition says that an experience is "practical contact with" and an "encouter".

When it comes to the experience of thought, what do you think you're encountering and having practical contact with?

The question Will Due is 
Are You Experienced
If you can just get your mind together
Then come on across to me
We'll hold hands an' then we'll watch the sun rise from the bottom of the sea
But first
Are you experienced?
Have you ever been experienced?
Well, I have
I know, I know
You'll probably scream n' cry
That your little world won't let you go
But who in your measly little world are trying to prove that
You're made out of gold and -a can't be sold
So-er, are you experienced?
Well, I have
Ah, let me prove it to you
Ending with a great guitar solo
Jimi was definitely experienced

Source: LyricFind
Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When it comes to the experience of thought, what do you think you're encountering and having practical contact with?

3 minutes ago, Will Due said:

When it comes to the experience of thought, what do you think you're encountering and having practical contact with?

I use transcendental mediation to explore thoughts, nothing better when brain storming. I can expand my thoughts to any level or any place I chose to go to. 

Maybe there's a clue in what happens when people have a few drinks, the thoughts turn to words, sometimes with unfortunate results.

A penny for your thoughts ! ( No, I'm completely sober)

3 hours ago, Will Due said:

ex·pe·ri·ence
/ˌikˈspirēəns/

noun

verb

The above definition says that an experience is "practical contact with" and an "encounter".

It would take a thesis to answer this satisfactorily 

Humans have evolved a language of the mind possessed by no other known species on earth.   Mostly then,  we encounter our thoughts which are a form of language based thinking  We construct them, but also interact with them and alter shape and react to them constantly  A person can have many difernt voices in their mind , all speaking with difernt skills and all helping debating and arguing to produce the optimum outcomes.  

Like walking, language is a slow and complex learned  process but we do it so young we think of it as easy and natural

On occasions it might be tha t our thoughts intersect and interact with the thoughts of others.  We now know that thoughts are physical things which can be recorded stored and transmitted  Thus it is theoretically possible that some might experience the thoughts of others

My personal experiences include contact with all sorts of minds on earth and across the galaxy and from the past 

i can't prove this to others but there is plenty  of contextual evidence to support this.

EG i sometimes  know things that are only known in the mind of another  and thus most likely CAME fromtha t mind to my own   My mother had this gift and it had many practical applications  One night around midnight she woke dad up to tell him my brother had had a serious fall from his motor bike and needed help she directed dad tot the scene and they took him to hospital (way before mobile phones and the internet ) As my brother was the only one who knew he had had an accident, and where it was, mum could only have got this information from his mind (or form the cosmic consciousness) 

I could rarely  get away with anything, because she knew where i was and what i was doing (from speeding one night along a deserted  main road to sneaking a girl into our shack on the beach)  

She explained it as coming from her Romany ancestry   

3 hours ago, Will Due said:

A natural curiosity. The natural behaviour of our brain. How we evaluate our environment. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Will Due said:

When you think, you're "encountering" and "having practical contact with" yourself.

It's like touching yourself. (not that kind of touching yourself, you filthy pervs; but like using your hand to touch the skin on your other hand, etc) Your thoughts are just another aspect of yourself. That's basically it.

I know you're trying to spin this into some sort of metaphysical spiritual thing for whatever reason, but it's really not that complex.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Will Due said:

ones brain

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

ones brain

:nw:

cormac

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dejarma said:

ones brain

Ones mind, actually.

The brain is only an organ. The mind is the conscious product of the brain.

Sorry to be pedantic, but its an important difference.

Hence one's mind and thoughts, memories  etc., can potentially be recorded replicated, transferred, etc., from  one brain to another. They have a life of their own, but require external support (biological or artificial)  to survive 

20 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

The brain is only an organ.

yeah only- just a bit of meat that creates consciousness.. not important. :wacko:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

On 9/5/2019 at 12:45 AM, Manwon Lender said:
Well, I have
Ah, let me prove it to you
Ending with a great guitar solo
Jimi was definitely experienced

Thumbs up on all Jimi references of course, but just a small revision to the above.  You're correct that it does have a great (backwards!) guitar solo, but that's not the ending, there's a couple more verses after 'let me prove it to you':

"Trumpets and violins I can hear in the distance
I think they're calling our name
Maybe now you can't hear them but you will
If you just take hold of my hand

Oh but are you experienced?

Not necessarily stoned, but beautiful"

All surrounded by sounds and guitar playing that was never heard before nor has it since.  And it was created over a half century ago with no synthesizers, no computers, limited effects pedals, no digital anything.  Yes, agreed, Jimi was definitely experienced.

Image result for hendrix

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, Liquid Gardens said:

Thumbs up on all Jimi references of course, but just a small revision to the above.  You're correct that it does have a great (backwards!) guitar solo, but that's not the ending, there's a couple more verses after 'let me prove it to you':

All surrounded by sounds and guitar playing that was never heard before nor has it since.  And it was created over a half century ago with no synthesizers, no computers, limited effects pedals, no digital anything.  Yes, agreed, Jimi was definitely experienced.

Image result for hendrix

Thanks for the additional lyrics,, your right it was created with out the digital crap, but Jimi always had hie WaWa Pedal and thats really all he needed along with his Brilliance.

Thanks for the post

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, Liquid Gardens said:

Image result for hendrix

Didn't realize it at first but he is using his wa wa pedal in the photo you provided.

take care

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Manwon Lender said:

Didn't realize it at first but he is using his wa wa pedal in the photo you provided.

Ha, it looks like he's using everything actually, pretty wild pic. :tu:

• Like 3

On 9/6/2019 at 10:36 AM, Dejarma said:

yeah only- just a bit of meat that creates consciousness.. not important. :wacko:

Well it is important as the host of the mind, just as the body is the support vehicle for the brain, but mind is totally different to brain. 

1 hour ago, Mr Walker said:

Well it is important as the host of the mind, just as the body is the support vehicle for the brain, but mind is totally different to brain. 

No it isn't.,

But go ahead and provide some evidence that supports your comment here. 

You really must learn to add 'in my opinion' to most of your claims and opinions.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, danydandan said:

No it isn't.,

But go ahead and provide some evidence that supports your comment here. 

You really must learn to add 'in my opinion' to most of your claims and opinions.

Its not an opinion.  It is not a claim.

It is a simple fact The brain is like the hardware of a computer.The mind  is a form of intelligence  operating within the hardware but  but it is not the hardware itself 

Hence it is possible to send a visual or verbal thought  from one mind to another using wireless and computer interfaces

The mind consists of the patterns of neural energy which we  generate within the brain both consciously and subconsciously.  So it exists within the brain but is NOT the brain The brain is permanent and basically non changing apart from  its growth and development or injury . The mind learns, evolves and constantly changes  You cannot alter our brain by thought but you can alter your mind  

Another simple analogy is a tv. The brain is the tv. The  mind is the content on the tv, but it is live. interactive, and responsive.  

Theoretically, due to the nature of mind, it can be stored,  replicated, and transmitted from  one brain to another, and indeed the first steps in this process have been achieved   

I do not see mind as  separate  to brain in that mind can not exist without brain and if the brain is injured so too is the mind    but the y are separate in nature. Damage your hardware and you cant access your software  but the software is not limited or tied to the hardware You can get another computer and transfer the software to it

There is nothing religious or mystical about the mind. It is not inherently  immortal, or even special, except for its properties and power.

You are what is known in psychology as a materialist The opposite is a dualist. i fit somewhere between the two. The mind is not the brain but given current science it cannot survive without the brain  

A computer required hardware to perform its function. And the hardware need software to make it run. Without software, hardware would be useless and without hardware, software can not be used. Brain is like the hardware and mind is like the software. But in reality, the difference between brain mind are more complicated than software and hardware.

In our culture we sometimes use the words brain and mind interchangeably even though they really do refer to separate, although often overlapping, concepts. The brain is an organ but the mind isn't. The brain is the physical place where the mind resides. It is a vessel in which the electronic impulses that create thought are contained. With the brain you coordinate your moves, your organism, your activities and transmit impulses. But you use the mind to think. You can muse at what happened, what is scheduled and what maybe will happen.

The mind is the manifestations of thought, perception, emotion, determination, memory and imagination that takes place within the brain. Mind is often used to refer especially to the thought processes of reason. The mind is the awareness of consciousness we know, the ability to control what we do, and know what we are doing and why. It is the ability to understand. Animal are able to interpret their environments, but not understand them. whereas human are able to understand what happens around them, even if not the scientific reasoning for it, and therefore adapt.

http://controlmind.info/human-brain/the-difference-between-brain-and-mind

Traditionally, scientists have tried to define the mind as the product of brain activity: The brain is the physical substance, and the mind is the conscious product of those firing neurons, according to the classic argument. But growing evidence shows that the mind goes far beyond the physical workings of your brain.

After much discussion, they decided that a key component of the mind is: “the emergent self-organizing process, both embodied and relational, that regulates energy and information flow within and among us.” It’s not catchy. But it is interesting, and with meaningful implications.

The definition has since been supported by research across the sciences, but much of the original idea came from mathematics. Siegel realized the mind meets the mathematical definition of a complex system in that it’s open (can influence things outside itself), chaos capable (which simply means it’s roughly randomly distributed), and non-linear (which means a small input leads to large and difficult to predict result).

In math, complex systems are self-organizing, and Siegel believes this idea is the foundation to mental health. Again borrowing from the mathematics, optimal self-organization is: flexible, adaptive, coherent, energized, and stable. This means that without optimal self-organization, you arrive at either chaos or rigidity—a notion that, Siegel says, fits the range of symptoms of mental health disorders

https://qz.com/866352/scientists-say-your-mind-isnt-confined-to-your-brain-or-even-your-body/

Edited by Mr Walker

2 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

ts not an opinion.  It is not a claim.

Hi Walker

As of yet I have seen only a few classifications,

Opinion, claim, fact and B.S,  you have disavowed two of your options what is you final choice?

jmccr8

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Walker

As of yet I have seen only a few classifications,

Opinion, claim, fact and B.S,  you have disavowed two of your options what is you final choice?

jmccr8

I think the problem is that he isn't experienced.:blink:

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

I think the problem is that he isn't experienced.:blink:

I think the trouble is someone read too much Halderman, Clarke, Heinlein, Matheson, K.Dick, Wells, Bester Ballard and Pohl, & has never actually experienced anything...... imo.

• Like 3

Brain is the processor. Thoughts are output stimulated by input. Input is from the senses and previous thoughts.

God inspired input usually either shows up and appears as a previous thought, remembered or not, or as a external stimulus which is not sensed by anyone else. 

I'm as experienced as any other 50 year old. What is amusing is watching my young 20 something in laws trying to get by in the world, poorly, while at the same time insisting their decisions are as good as any. This is a common failing of the young, and they often refuse advise of the more experienced our of... Arrogance? Stubbornness? Inexperience?

• Haha 1