Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Still Waters

Underwater German observatory disappeared

Recommended Posts

Still Waters

A massive environmental monitoring station off Germany's Baltic coast has disappeared from the seabed, baffling police and researchers.

The seabed "observatory", worth about €300,000 (£270,000), weighed more than half a tonne. It could not have been dragged off by a storm, tide or large animal, German experts say.

Divers only found a torn power cable at the site, 22m (72ft) down and 1.8km (1.2 miles) offshore.

It is a prohibited area, north of Kiel.

No boats - not even local fishing boats - are allowed into the area, called Eckernförde Bay, about 70km (44 miles) south of the Danish border.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-49592330

Quote

Since the racks each weigh around 520 and 220 kilograms and the cable connections are extremely massive, storms, currents or marine animals are the culprits.

https://www.geomar.de/service/kommunikation/singlepm/article/unterwasserobservatorium-bei-boknis-eck-verschwunden/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Timothy

Russian sub? Surely they don’t have only one of the ones suspected to be capable of tapping in to and severing seabed cables etc. 

I wonder if we’ll ever know how the fire started?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
justin3651
2 hours ago, Still Waters said:

The seabed "observatory", worth about €300,000 (£270,000), weighed more than half a tonne. It could not have been dragged off by a storm, tide or large animal, German experts say

 

2 hours ago, Still Waters said:

Since the racks each weigh around 520 and 220 kilograms and the cable connections are extremely massive, storms, currents or marine animals are the culprits

So it wasn't or it was?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Earl.Of.Trumps

I'm kinda thinking, spontaneous underwater eddy. Link

Quote

Underwater whirlpools pose an additional danger because they cannot be seen. Known as deep eddies, they are produced by ocean currents flowing around terrain features like seamounts (submerged mountains). They do not affect surface shipping, but are a hazard to underwater navigation, as shown in 2014 when Chinese Submarine 372 started plunging unexpectedly into an ocean trench.

Either that, or it's Aliens :alien:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Desertrat56

"or large animal"  :lol:

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Still Waters
44 minutes ago, justin3651 said:

So it wasn't or it was?

The BBC have sourced a German language website which I also quoted.

https://www.geomar.de/service/kommunikation/singlepm/article/unterwasserobservatorium-bei-boknis-eck-verschwunden/

I used the translation to English option in my browser and posted exactly what it showed.

Quote

Since the racks each weigh around 520 and 220 kilograms and the cable connections are extremely massive, storms, currents or marine animals are the culprits.

I don't know which is the correct version as it seems there's a discrepancy between the two articles. I suspect the translation is wrong but perhaps someone who can read German will be able to confirm.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MissJatti

Could be a huge underwater sinkhole that quickly shrank in size after

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Earl.Of.Trumps
1 hour ago, Desertrat56 said:

"or large animal"  :lol:

Yes. It's clearly Nessie's off season habitat :clap:

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Earl.Of.Trumps
1 hour ago, Still Waters said:

The BBC have sourced a German language website which I also quoted.

https://www.geomar.de/service/kommunikation/singlepm/article/unterwasserobservatorium-bei-boknis-eck-verschwunden/

I used the translation to English option in my browser and posted exactly what it showed.

I don't know which is the correct version as it seems there's a discrepancy between the two articles. I suspect the translation is wrong but perhaps someone who can read German will be able to confirm.

Whoa, wicked excellent, Still Waters, thanks for the tip :tu:

I have a new 'puter with Edge as the browser, and I could not find the browser translator. So I Binged it and found there is a translator free. It installed in seconds. It works fabulously. Sure beats running to google or some other translator. Just hit a button and the translation of this German text is there in a flash.

Danka! 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
quiXilver

The ocean could not move something that weighs less than a tonne?

really...

I guess someone should tell that to the entire cities that have been washed away by large waves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sir Wearer of Hats

Godzilla.

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RoofGardener
7 hours ago, quiXilver said:

The ocean could not move something that weighs less than a tonne?

really...

I guess someone should tell that to the entire cities that have been washed away by large waves.

Yes.. by surface waves. 

You get currents, but no waves, on the sea floor ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Manwon Lender
23 hours ago, Still Waters said:

A massive environmental monitoring station off Germany's Baltic coast has disappeared from the seabed, baffling police and researchers.

The seabed "observatory", worth about €300,000 (£270,000), weighed more than half a tonne. It could not have been dragged off by a storm, tide or large animal, German experts say.

Divers only found a torn power cable at the site, 22m (72ft) down and 1.8km (1.2 miles) offshore.

It is a prohibited area, north of Kiel.

No boats - not even local fishing boats - are allowed into the area, called Eckernförde Bay, about 70km (44 miles) south of the Danish border.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-49592330

 

That's pretty weird.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
toast
Quote

Monthly sampling at Boknis Eck began on 30 April 1957. Thus, Boknis Eck is one of the oldest - still operated - time series sites worldwide.

HP of "Boknis Eck" here.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Skulduggery
On 9/5/2019 at 12:32 PM, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Whoa, wicked excellent, Still Waters, thanks for the tip :tu:

I have a new 'puter with Edge as the browser, and I could not find the browser translator. So I Binged it and found there is a translator free. It installed in seconds. It works fabulously. Sure beats running to google or some other translator. Just hit a button and the translation of this German text is there in a flash.

Danka! 

 

You use Bing? Woah

Anyway, it was probably current or sabotage. Be easy to clip some cables and saw through some metal. Correction: current AND sabotage. It’s possible. The current may be able to do this alone, though. I don’t know enough about the apparatus to be able to say for sure. Water is very heavy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
toast
On 9/6/2019 at 4:58 AM, quiXilver said:

The ocean could not move something that weighs less than a tonne?

really...

I guess someone should tell that to the entire cities that have been washed away by large waves.

The Ostsee isnt an ocean, its an (nearly) inland sea with low tide dynamics, approximately 0,3 meters in average and an average depth of 52 meters. No hurricanes, no Tsunamis and no sea quakes.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish
On 9/5/2019 at 10:29 AM, Desertrat56 said:

"or large animal"  :lol:

godzilla-king-of-the-monsters

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ThereWeAreThen

A Merfoot or Bigfin? 

I'll get my coat.:ph34r:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.