Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

US lifts ban on old-style light bulbs

Still Waters

The US is scrapping a ban on energy-inefficient light bulbs which was due to come in at the beginning of 2020.

The rule would have prohibited the sale of bulbs that do not reach a standard of efficiency, and could have seen an end to incandescent bulbs.

Many countries have phased out older bulbs because they waste energy.

But the US energy department said banning incandescent bulbs would be bad for consumers because of the higher cost of more efficient bulbs.

The Department of Energy said it had withdrawn the ban because it was a misinterpretation of the 2007 Energy Independence and Security Act.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-49591143

• Like 4

I embraced these New LED Bulbs. and have been running my own experiment. I've run one old type against the new LED bulb, So far the Old bulb as seen off one LED bulb. (it was a cheaper TESCO brand) the rest in the house are Philips and are lasting. but how much energy does it take to produce these LED bulbs? how much energy does it take to recycle these new LED bulbs compared to the old style bulb. i have this suspicion when all is taken into account the difference between the old type of bulb and LED are minimal when it comes to overall energy saved.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Led bulbs do NOT produce better lighting, numerous studies shown that blue spectrum in leds interferes with sleep patterns and production of melatonin.

in real world vast majority of drivers circuits, are  making lights flicker fast enough to not see it, but some do feel it, i have quite a few people complain that our new lights gave them headache, after simple investigation with oscillograph i found out flicker rate is exactly what line frequency was, drivers had no proper capacitors  to prevent that.  we removed all led bulbs and replaced with fixtures that were made with leds from the start, and had proper drivers, that did not give people headaches.   

not to mention this reversal is not making anyone stop using led bulbs, unlike what libs did by banning people use inc. bulbs.

i absolutely agree with trump, it is up to consumer to decide what bulbs he wants to use, not federal gvmnt

Edited by aztek
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thank goodness because when they first started this the alternative was flourescent bulbs, which is a nightmare.  Now we have led lights and the prices are going down, plus the electric company will come to your house and give you led light bulbs for every light fixtiure.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Desertrat56 said:

Thank goodness because when they first started this the alternative was flourescent bulbs, which is a nightmare.  Now we have led lights and the prices are going down, plus the electric company will come to your house and give you led light bulbs for every light fixtiure.

yes they do, cheap cool lights that flicker at line frequency and destroy your melatonin production,  no thanks, they can't pay me enough to use their  bulbs

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Actually I haven't seen my bill go down using the LED bulbs.  I like the full spectrum bulbs.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Actually I haven't seen my bill go down using the LED bulbs.  I like the full spectrum bulbs.

lighting usually makes up about 10% of electrical bill,  you may not notice much if vast majority of you use is not lighting

• Like 3

Incandescent bulbs are totally obsolete and environmentally fiendish.

Warm White LED bulbs give out the same light. They cost more to buy, but use a tiny fraction of the electricity, and live for around 15,000 hours, making them the lower cost choice.

Edited by acute
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not a good move, led bulbs have improved drastically in last few years and prices have come down. Incandescent bulbs are a very ineffective makes me wonder what was the driving force behind the decision? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, kartikg said:

Not a good move, led bulbs have improved drastically in last few years and prices have come down. Incandescent bulbs are a very ineffective makes me wonder what was the driving force behind the decision? 

Money, of course.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, kartikg said:

Become President. Buy GE+OSRAM shares. Lift light-bulbs ban.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

no one said you need to stop using your beloved led bulbs,  the only thing is different is that you can't tell me not to use inc. if i want to, and i see why libs are pi$$ed off, they are losing control.  

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, acute said:

Incandescent bulbs are totally obsolete and environmentally fiendish.

Warm White LED bulbs give out the same light. They cost more to buy, but use a tiny fraction of the electricity, and live for around 15,000 hours, making them the lower cost choice.

image.jpeg.f0d2e788610f29c56bb503e17b14f70f.jpeg

even warm led bulbs you buy have CRI between 70-80, Inc,  and halogen bulbs gives you 100. so it is NOT same light. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, aztek said:

even warm led bulbs you buy have CRI between 70-80, Inc,  and halogen bulbs gives you 100. so it is NOT same light. 

You can't tell the difference! It's not just the LED's, it's the bulb covering them.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, acute said:

You can't tell the difference! It's not just the LED's, it's the bulb covering them.

i can see how different colors look in poor CRI lighting,  i can't see flicker and low PWM with my eyes, but  my brain does see it, and makes your head hurt, thou not every person is affected, but quite a few are.

btw there is no such thing as white led, all white leds are uv leds with phosphorous coating that turns uv into white light, and they leak uv as well.

The Truth about LED Light Sensitivity & Migraine
Energy efficient light bulbs could pose UV-risk to skin, trigger migraines

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, aztek said:

no one said you need to stop using your beloved led bulbs,  the only thing is different is that you can't tell me not to use inc. if i want to, and i see why libs are pi$$ed off, they are losing control.  

The ban should have been on fluorescent bulbs.  They are detrimental in so many ways.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

The ban should have been on fluorescent bulbs.  They are detrimental in so many ways.

why ban any bulb?  if you do not like certain type, just do not buy it,    

not to mention ban was on 40-100w inc bulbs,  regular bulbs, any other bulb (3way, with reflector build in, any base that is not e27, halogen capsules) were still on sale. 

Edited by aztek
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, toast said:

Become President. Buy GE+OSRAM shares. Lift light-bulbs ban.

funny you should mention GE+OSRAM they are biggest manufacturers of led bulbs sold in usa , not to mention profit margin on led bulbs is much higher than for a inc. bulb. 

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

LED bulbs are much better than fluorescent, because they don't take time to 'warm up'.

13 minutes ago, aztek said:

i can see how different colors look in poor CRI lighting,  i can't see flicker and low PWM with my eyes, but  my brain does see it, and makes your head hurt, thou not every person is affected, but quite a few are.

btw there is no such thing as white led, all white leds are uv leds with phosphorous coating that turns uv into white light, and they leak uv as well.

The Truth about LED Light Sensitivity & Migraine
Energy efficient light bulbs could pose UV-risk to skin, trigger migraines

You may have just answered why my migraines have triggered so much easier in the last few years! I had no idea these bulbs could have this effect, I have them in the overhead lighting in my bedroom! Thank you for posting this!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, aztek said:

neither do halogens,

LED bulbs still come out on top!

LED bulbs are as bright as halogen. Not only that, but an LED bulb will produce the same amount of light as a halogen bulb while using 85% less power, so you can replace a 50 Watt halogen bulb with a 7.5 Watt LED.

• Haha 1

Just now, acute said:

LED bulbs still come out on top!

Does it always have to be a contest?

• Like 1