Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

US lifts ban on old-style light bulbs

Still Waters

Well, I can only re-iterate @Myles's opinion. I've used LED bulbs. They seem to have a pleasing, natural white colour, and they seem to last forever. 

• Like 2

Everyone: arguing about light bulbs.

Me: sitting here realizing I have no idea what light bulbs I have lol

16 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

The bulb is a relatively complex gadget compared to an incandescent. Almost like comparing an abacus to a pocket calculator.

https://www.superiorlighting.com/lighting-resources/light-bulb-learning-center/led-light-bulbs/led-lamp-components-explained/

OK.  So that may be why they work for me better than incandescent.  I have problems with old technology, even back when it was new technology, I could walk by a computer monitor and it would catch on fire, or quit working.  But newer technology does not react that way to what ever energy I must store (I do hold a lot of static electricity, get a bad shock almost anytime I touch something metal).

Every new technology has teething problems, LEDs are no exception. There are unexpected extraneous technical issues in converting to them, as well.

https://blog.yaleappliance.com/bid/78739/The-Problems-With-LED-Lighting

Incandescent bulbs are a very old technology. The 1893 World's Fair was illuminated with them, courtesy of Nikola Tesla and Westinghouse.

http://haygenealogy.com/hay/1893fair/1893fair.html

tRUMP has completely misunderstood the problem.  When 60-watt incandescent bulbs were withdrawn from the market, they were replaced by flourescents that used less power, but fit the old sockets.  Then along came LEDs which were even more efficient than flourescents.  Both new types outlast the old incandewscents many times over.  What tRUMP has done is give us permission to spend more money to get less light.

His real motivation is that the "environmental" community won't like what he does, so he does it out of shere hate and meanness.  He does not expect to get real-world benefits from his actions.

Doug

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Doug1o29 said:

tRUMP has completely misunderstood the problem.  When 60-watt incandescent bulbs were withdrawn from the market, they were replaced by flourescents that used less power, but fit the old sockets.  Then along came LEDs which were even more efficient than flourescents.  Both new types outlast the old incandewscents many times over.  What tRUMP has done is give us permission to spend more money to get less light.

His real motivation is that the "environmental" community won't like what he does, so he does it out of shere hate and meanness.  He does not expect to get real-world benefits from his actions.

Doug

He already has "real world" benefits, a pension for life, free medical for life and secret service to follow him around for life.  Why would he care about anything else?

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Doug1o29 said:

Doug

it is you, who misunderstood the problem, or more like you are completely ignorant of it,   trump did not ban you from buying led bulbs, he removed ban that stopped me from buying  bulb I want, whether you approve of my choice is irrelevant, he brought back freedom to choose that Obama took away, 

Edited by aztek

27 minutes ago, aztek said:

he brought back freedom to choose that Obama took away, 

Freedom by light bulbs! Make America bright again! Hurray! :clap:

• Haha 4

If Trump bans all forms of firearms except muskets I will personally kiss his feet, and pay for my own flight all the way to the US while I'm at it. 

If I can get a visa of course... 

~

• Like 1

Just now, aztek said:

sorry i do not get German humor

Because brilliant people have brilliant humor.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, aztek said:

they may have, but what does it have to do with you? 

Brilliant people know.

1 hour ago, aztek said:

i'm sure they do, again, what does it have to do with you?

Ask them.

lol, he looks kinda orange even outdoors in a daylight, maybe he needs to fire his make up artist. cuz he is crappy, i've seen much better make up jobs at funerals, 

Edited by aztek
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, aztek said:

lol, he looks kinda orange even outdoors in a daylight, maybe he needs to fire his make up artist. cuz he is crappy, i've seen much better make up jobs at funerals, 

He could use a new hairpiece, too.  Old one looks kind of moth-eaten.

Doug

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Gromdor said:

This guy is totally insane.

Edited by toast
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, brian100 said:

Who would buy the old incandescent light bulbs that drive up your energy cost? I switched over to LED.

If it is about cost, those are still usually less expensive and the amount of energy you save from switching is relatively small unless you always leave every light on the property on 24 hours a day.  The better solution that saves a lot of money, based on my experience, is to use a toaster oven instead of the big oven when you have only one dinner or a small cake.  I know a lot of people use the microwave but there are things that are just not right cooked in a microwave, like a loaf of bread or a cake.

• 2 years later...

The Biden administration has adopted two new rules on light bulb efficiency this week that spell the end of traditional incandescent bulbs.

The action will undo Trump-era guidelines on the bulbs, and go into effect this summer with full enforcement next year.

The Department of Energy estimates that the new rules will help users save $3billion every year.

The energy department also estimates that the rules will prevent the equivalent of 222 million metric tons of carbon dioxide emissions over 30 years. The US currently emits the equivalent of approximately 6 billion metric tons of CO2 annually.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/biden-bans-traditional-lightbulbs-in-the-us-what-the-new-rules-mean/ar-AAWFK1g?