Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Extraterrestrial mineral found in meteorite

UM-Bot

The name edscottite made me laugh.  I guess that is as good a way as any to name a mineral.  :lol:

• Haha 6

You know what's gonna happen.

Scientists will crack open a meteorite and say,  "Ooh, that's an interesting, dangerous and unstoppable virus!"

Edited by acute
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

this news is bogus, all minerals existent in our solar system or outside are known to science, in other words that are no unknown minerals we haven't seen

• Like 1

2 hours ago, qxcontinuum said:

this news is bogus, all minerals existent in our solar system or outside are known to science, in other words that are no unknown minerals we haven't seen

I guess I am a dumb ass, because I beleive them. I did some research and found an article from NASA, they also found a new mineral in a meteor back in 2011. They called the new mineral Wassonite.

Here  is the link if you want to check it out.

https://www.nasa.gov/centers/johnson/home/wassonite.html

• Like 4

4 hours ago, qxcontinuum said:

The mineral is a compound of various known elements and minerals arise under different circumstances like temperature, pressure and time. Based on your logic, as you say that all minerals (compositions of known elements) are known to science, we have to conclude that all possible conditions and values related to heat and pressure which are possible and/or are present anywhere in the whole universe were existent on Earth in the past. So please tell me how you think it could it be possible that we had temperature/pressure values here on Earth at the same level as present while collisions of, for example, stone planets 10 times the Earth`s mass. Curious.

As you say its all bogus, please go ahead and refute the finding as listed below.

Edscottite, Fe5C2, a new iron carbide mineral from the Ni-rich Wedderburn IAB iron meteorite.

Abstract

Edscottite (IMA 2018-086a), Fe5C2, is a new iron carbide mineral that occurs with low-Ni iron (kamacite), taenite, nickelphosphide (Ni-dominant schreibersite), and minor cohenite in the Wedderburn iron meteorite, a Ni-rich member of the group IAB complex. The mean chemical composition of edscottite determined by electron probe microanalysis, is (wt%) Fe 87.01, Ni 4.37, Co 0.82, C 7.90, total 100.10, yielding an empirical formula of (Fe4.73Ni0.23Co0.04)C2.00. The end-member formula is Fe5C2. Electron backscatter diffraction shows that edscottite has the C2/c Pd5B2-type structure of the synthetic phase called Hägg-carbide, c-Fe5C2, which has a = 11.57 Å, b = 4.57 Å, c = 5.06 Å, b = 97.7 °, V = 265.1 Å3, and Z = 4. The calculated density using the measured composition is 7.62 g/cm3. Like the other two carbides found in iron meteorites, cohenite (Fe3C) and haxonite (Fe23C6), edscottite forms in kamacite, but unlike these two carbides, it forms laths, possibly due to very rapid growth after supersaturation of carbon. Haxonite (which typically forms in carbide-bearing, Ni-rich members of the IAB complex) has not been observed in Wedderburn. Formation of edscottite rather than haxonite may have resulted from a lower C concentration in Wedderburn and hence a lower growth temperature. The new mineral is named in honor of Edward (Ed) R.D. Scott, a pioneering cosmochemist at the University of Hawai‘i at Manoa, for his seminal contributions to research on meteorites.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, toast said:

The mineral is a compound of various known elements and minerals arise under different circumstances like temperature, pressure and time. Based on your logic, as you say that all minerals (compositions of known elements) are known to science, we have to conclude that all possible conditions and values related to heat and pressure which are possible and/or are present anywhere in the whole universe were existent on Earth in the past. So please tell me how you think it could it be possible that we had temperature/pressure values here on Earth at the same level as present while collisions of, for example, stone planets 10 times the Earth`s mass. Curious.

As you say its all bogus, please go ahead and refute the finding as listed below.

I could refute this... but the explanation requires 18-dimensional superstrings knitted into a 7D hyperlattice using mediating tensor calculus, 5D matrix analysis and the chemical structure of halloumi.  There are only 32 412 readers of this site who would understand it; why bore the other six?

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Tom1200 said:

I could refute this... but the explanation requires 18-dimensional superstrings knitted into a 7D hyperlattice using mediating tensor calculus, 5D matrix analysis and the chemical structure of halloumi.  There are only 32 412 readers of this site who would understand it; why bore the other six?

"Tensor Analysis and Differential Geometry" just three places down from this. A "tensor" is a generalization of vector. It can be applied to just about any kind of problem that vectors can. As long as you are dealing with Euclidean space (curvature 0) you might as well just use vectors but problems involving curved surfaces or spaces (such as general relativity) use tensors.

You would sure bore me.

• Like 1

No no and no, perhaps I wasnt clear In my previous post: whilst minerals can form differently under pressure and certain conditions, combining elements in unique ways, there are no elements in this universe that we dont know about. We even created ned elements using the particle accelerator. 

The rationale is simple: there may be a point beyond which atoms cannot get any heavier as they get heavier and unstable.

Edited by qxcontinuum
  • Like 1

I want to name the next one. 

'Mineral McMineralface'

58 minutes ago, qxcontinuum said:

No no and no, perhaps I wasnt clear In my previous post: whilst minerals can form differently under pressure and certain conditions, combining elements in unique ways, there are no elements in this universe that we dont know about. We even created ned elements using the particle accelerator. 

The rationale is simple: there may be a point beyond which atoms cannot get any heavier as they get heavier and unstable.

It's been seen to occur, and therefore 'know' from smelting processes. It's just not ever been known to occur naturally. That's in the OPs brief and the link. 

15 hours ago, acute said:

You know what's gonna happen.

Scientists will crack open a meteorite and say,  "Ooh, that's an interesting, dangerous and unstoppable virus!"

It might be cool. Like venom or something. 

tenor.gif

Be awesome if that lands in my yard :)

Call me silly, but something not of earth, I would think the probability of it containing something not naturally made on earth to be pretty high. 

18 hours ago, qxcontinuum said:

The article didn't say a new element was found.  So either you misread, or you don't know the difference between elements and minerals...?

Why not just admit your error - are you Donald Trump?

Edited by ChrLzs
  • Haha 2

On 9/7/2019 at 7:55 AM, qxcontinuum said:

Nobody is talking about elements. 

On 9/7/2019 at 2:00 AM, UM-Bot said:

Scientists have discovered an exotic alien mineral that does not occur naturally anywhere on Earth.

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/330255/extraterrestrial-mineral-found-inside-meteorite

The crucial issue here is the clause "does not occur naturally". Edscottite does occur artificially as a product of iron smelting, but this is the first time that humans have encountered it occurring in nature LINK.

• Like 1