Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dead Sea Scrolls origin called into question

UM-Bot

If I would suggest to scholars a new region to research that'll be the Black Sea

Hang on, my undies are made in China, does that make me not Malaysian? 

~

• Haha 3

People import and export salts all the time. It is odd to use a salt in preparation here that's not native to the area, salt is abundant there. Why import it? This could very well mean that the particular scroll/text in question wasn't made where it was found.

Salt was practically gold back in the days, possibly a contribution from some benefactor of means, the people that hid the scrolls had to hide themselves too, the possibility of getting local salts would mean they had to have means to great sestertii if not on good terms with the divine rulers of its day... Meaning possibly  impossible ...

~

16 hours ago, UM-Bot said:

A new study has revealed that one of the scrolls was prepared using salts not native to the Dead Sea region.

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/330265/origin-of-dead-sea-scrolls-called-into-question

That's pretty strange, the implications are that Scroll may have come from a different location or that the salt used on it may have been cross contaminated during the process used to make the Scroll. It could have also been contaminated before it was made part of the collection. There could be many implications that has caused the difference in a single Scroll. I am sure in time this  will become clear to the researchers as time go's by.