Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Best evidence for ET

Hazzard

I am sure there maybe other life out there in the universe given we find new planets and galaxies all the time. My question is hypothetically if they were visiting us  what would be the reason? other then the stories of human experimentation that we often hear?

9 minutes ago, Scholar4Truth said:

I am sure there maybe other life out there in the universe given we find new planets and galaxies all the time. My question is hypothetically if they were visiting us  what would be the reason? other then the stories of human experimentation that we often hear?

Decades ago it was supposed that by now we'd have grad students on Mars doing research. Seems we are a bit behind on that aggressive schedule.

What if there are aliens simply doing graduate research?

• Like 2

Just now, stereologist said:

Decades ago it was supposed that by now we'd have grad students on Mars doing research. Seems we are a bit behind on that aggressive schedule.

What if there are aliens simply doing graduate research?

And we were supposed to have flying cars before 2000.  I still want my flying car. As for the aliens doing graduate work, could they afford to come all the way out here in the boondocks of the galaxy to do research?  Would someone sponsor that?  What kind of research are you imagining?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

And we were supposed to have flying cars before 2000.  I still want my flying car. As for the aliens doing graduate work, could they afford to come all the way out here in the boondocks of the galaxy to do research?  Would someone sponsor that?  What kind of research are you imagining?

It might be that we have some variant on DNA which might or might not be common. I believe that genes with 8 other base pairs have been constructed.

What if someone else has a Drake equation and they simply want to get better numbers.

Maybe someone is interested in other beings that have not developed some technology.

There has to be lots of reasons to observe.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, stereologist said:

It might be that we have some variant on DNA which might or might not be common. I believe that genes with 8 other base pairs have been constructed.

What if someone else has a Drake equation and they simply want to get better numbers.

Maybe someone is interested in other beings that have not developed some technology.

There has to be lots of reasons to observe.

And language, culture, etc...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Scholar4Truth said:

Good question, and one that does not often get raised often because humans think that ET is like us in that, they want to explore and search for other intelligent life. But if that was the case,, they certainly have been quite silent - at least to us plebes.

Like all life forms, whatever the reason for their presence, it is an endeavor of survival.
I think they came here because their own planet is no longer habitable, perhaps even obliterated. 

Whatever the reason, they apparently don't think that humans are worthy enough to know they even exist. That's telling, eh?

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Scholar4Truth said:

Good question.  Id imagine that curiosity would be a part of it.

Lets hope its not like Hollywood would have us believe, that humans are so tasty/important. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Good question, and one that does not often get raised often because humans think that ET is like us in that, they want to explore and search for other intelligent life. But if that was the case,, they certainly have been quite silent - at least to us plebes.

Like all life forms, whatever the reason for their presence, it is an endeavor of survival.
I think they came here because their own planet is no longer habitable, perhaps even obliterated. 

Whatever the reason, they apparently don't think that humans are worthy enough to know they even exist. That's telling, eh?

Or it may be that we are as Alien to them as they may appear to us.

Its possible they have no understanding or concept of individual thought. They may not understand or even begin to fathom how 1 mammalian species devours other mammalians. Their concept of what is living or alive may not even be the same as ours.

For all we know they could be a plant based life form, grown on the ships, able to withstand the rigours of space travel, programmed to perform XYZ functionality and sent out in lieu of the original developers who are unable to, to explore and gather data.

Essentially nothing more than functional space probes.

Their measurement of what they consider intelligent could differ vastly, hence the lack of interest in any form of contact. We consider technological achievement as a sign of intelligence, they may consider technology simply as a means to an end but completely unimportant due to the length of time of their utilisation of that technology.

Many hypothesis.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DodgyDaoist said:

Its possible they have no understanding or concept of individual thought. They may not understand or even begin to fathom how 1 mammalian species devours other mammalians. Their concept of what is living or alive may not even be the same as ours.

For all we know they could be a plant based life form, grown on the ships, able to withstand the rigours of space travel, programmed to perform XYZ functionality and sent out in lieu of the original developers who are unable to, to explore and gather data.

Their measurement of what they consider intelligent could differ vastly, hence the lack of interest in any form of contact. We consider technological achievement as a sign of intelligence, they may consider technology simply as a means to an end but completely unimportant due to the length of time of their utilisation of that technology.

Many hypothesis.

I honestly doubt it. It seems more likely that aliens will be more familiar than not. I'd expect that the same drivers would be the same motives for seeking out other life. And the same hurdles to overcome. They are more likely struggling with the same distance problems we are. That I feel would better explain the lack of contact. 

Its just that the universe is big, no matter where you are. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

I honestly doubt it. It seems more likely that aliens will be more familiar than not. I'd expect that the same drivers would be the same motives for seeking out other life. And the same hurdles to overcome. They are more likely struggling with the same distance problems we are. That I feel would better explain the lack of contact. 

Its just that the universe is big, no matter where you are. 

If they are visitors from other worlds, they have clealry overcome the distance issues :D

47 minutes ago, DodgyDaoist said:

If they are visitors from other worlds, they have clealry overcome the distance issues :D

That's just, another reason to think that UFOs are not alien spaceships though. 

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

That's just, another reason to think that UFOs are not alien spaceships though. 

possibly , yes, however i like to think that there is more to the universe than just this sordid little rock, that there are better worlds out there with more intelligent life than us.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DodgyDaoist said:

possibly , yes, however i like to think that there is more to the universe than just this sordid little rock, that there are better worlds out there with more intelligent life than us.

I'm sure there is. I'm just sure they are bound by the same physics we are. 

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

We are only bound by our current understanding of physics, which in all honesty is still rudimetary, considering we are still stuck in the notion of making and controling things that go bang to move around.

We havnt even cracked non-combustible propulsion yet.

If 'they' are from some distant planet , then they clearly have.

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, DodgyDaoist said:

We are only bound by our current understanding of physics, which in all honesty is still rudimetary, considering we are still stuck in the notion of making and controling things that go bang to move around.

If I won the lottery, I'd be richer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, DodgyDaoist said:

What we do know is not likely change though. True, it might be expanded upon but there's no good reason to think physics basics, which is where restrictions apply, are going to to be violated. True there's exceptions to the rule like the Arecibo drive but in all honesty, we don't have the foggiest if such a thing can even be built. Things like wormholes, of they actually exist, are greatly exaggerated and don't work how they do on the silver screen. 

Same with evolution.That's why aliens are likely to be somewhat familiar. 

Ion propulsion? 

We could theoretically achieve up to 20% of the speed of light with atomic propulsion. We consider the risk of fallout to earth to great. Why haven't we seen a sub light species if the universe is indeed 'teeming' with life? Why always super advanced? 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_nearest_terrestrial_exoplanet_candidates

But what evidence actually ties together UFOs and space? 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, psyche101 said:

This is true but as science fills in the knowledge gaps then a few loop holes might emerge? 

For example the Higgs boson was suspected but not confirmed until about five years ago. Now we know the Higgs exists what if it could be turned off? This would allow a spacecraft to control its mass and space flight, even with chemical engines, would be transformed.     

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

Ion propulsion? 

We could theoretically achieve up to 20% of the speed of light with atomic propulsion. We consider the risk of fallout to earth to great. Why haven't we seen a sub light species if the universe is indeed 'teeming' with life? Why always super advanced? 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_nearest_terrestrial_exoplanet_candidates

Great link , thanks.

There could very well be sub-light species out there, simply not in the neighbourhood. Our location is a little remote, we are kind of 'in the sticks' so to speak.

5 hours ago, DodgyDaoist said:

This is very possible, maybe likely.  Alien life forms may not even be carbon based. A good possibility is silicon based. That would allow for even more life forms than carbon based. 

But, they are intelligent so they could communicate, if they chose. I would think, anyway. We have sent out probes with basic information about humans. 

That's an interesting idea. Plant based, or bots, droids. It would  be somewhat cruel to send natural beings on these generations long journies. 

Many hypothesis.

Dodgy, if this line of thinking is correct (it seems logical) then I would suggest that these aliens tried these probes when they were evolved slightly ahead of where humans are now, some 1/4 million years. That could have happened billions of years ago. So at what point do the aliens take their results from the probes and send actual entities? I would think long ago.

Ya, many hypothesis. And not much to go on, other than our *presumption* that Aliens would want to explore the galaxy as soon as they were able. 

Good up.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, DodgyDaoist said:

I happen to agree with this.

We see strong evidences that this planet has been visited and I believe we have, too. I think the Aliens found "portals" to travel in, somehow. For us to figure it all out at this point of our evolution is like monkeys trying to figure out how humans got across the ocean. 

Some day another Einstein will endow us. Pretty sure of that. :rolleyes:

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, DodgyDaoist said:

Yes, very likely in our own galaxy, too. 

If you project the number of earth twin exoplanets discovered by Kepler into the entire galaxy you see some two billion earth twins.

If earth twins had just a one in one hundred chance of having intelligent life on them, that would be some 20 million exoplanets with intelligent life in this galaxy. And I think that is conservative. 

3 hours ago, psyche101 said:

And of course that is true but let us not forget, before humans discovered quantum mechanics we humans were still bound by quantum mechanics, excuse our ignorance for not even knowing. Ditto for relativity physics.

Meaning, the Aliens may have discovered some new field of physics that we have not - even though we are bound by it. And it turns out that this new field in physics gave them the ability to transport seemingly great distances with ease. Einstein long ago gave us worm hole theory, as an example.

Maybe some other laws are out there waiting for our discovery? Possible.

Edited by Earl.Of.Trumps
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, DodgyDaoist said:

Although I agree with your general notion, DD, I would never expect the answer to going great distances in space to come from the the field of "propulsion". You think going light speed is the answer? Ha! If we were to travel ten times the speed of light, it would still take 10,000 years to cross the Milky Way. That's crawling, man!

Edited by Earl.Of.Trumps
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, psyche101 said:

Things like wormholes, of they actually exist, are greatly exaggerated and don't work how they do on the silver screen. 

A very good friend of mine, a physicist from Russia, told me that the Russian physicists have an expression - "If it's possible, it's mandatory".
Loosely translated, they believe if something is discovered in theoretical physics, it will be proven to be real. The Higgs particle is an example. The theoretical physicist gets respect from the applied physicists in Russia. (My friend is applied)

Obviously, they would think that wormholes exist.

Edited by Earl.Of.Trumps

This type of speculative thread is good, IMO. So I posit this idea while we are in a speculation mode.

The genus homo came into being some 300,000 years ago at most. Let's suppose that an Alien civilization (or more) long before the advent of homo came to earth to reside because their own planet(s) were no longer livable. 

Q: Does that give these residential Aliens the right to call earth their planet and humans an invasive species?

Edited by Earl.Of.Trumps
  • Haha 1