Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Recurring Nightmares of Planes Crashing

TigerBright19

For most of my life I keep dreaming of planes crashing to the ground.  It feels so vivid that my heart skips a beat and I brace myself as I anticipate the loud bang as I look up and watch the plane stalling in the air and crashing to the ground.  I am always on the ground looking up.  Sometimes the plane is small like a 2-seater, and sometimes it is a fighter jet that is trying to take off, or a commercial airliner that is trying to climb and then stalls and crashes.  I always know they are going to crash the moment I see them.  I am either standing in a parking lot, or on the beach, or looking out of my bedroom window.  Thankfully I only get them once or twice per year, but they occur almost every year and they leave such a memorable impression that I can remember every one of them.  Several times the plane is far in the distance, but on two occasions the plane crashed right at me and I could feel the ground shake and see the debris scatter around me.  I don't feel scared, just uneasy.  I feel like I am the only one who knows it is about to crash and I feel powerless to stop it.

Any ideas why I keep getting these recurring nightmares / dreams, and have you experienced anything similar?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Have you at some point in your life seen a movie about plane crashes? Read about them? Heard somebody talk about them? If you have then it's in your subconsciousness and can show up in your dreams, particularly if it might be a fear of yours. When you fly are you worried that the plane will crash?

I do have a particular kind of nightmare I have a couple of times each year, like you with the plane crashes. Being in a war. I've never been in a war myself, I don't watch war movies (mostly because of my nightmares) but living through a war is the one true fear I have. Most often I'm a civilian caught in the fray, once i was a conscript. But it's always very unsettling.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just curious, do you happen to take flights by any chance. The reason I ask this is because the dreams might be the result of anxiety due to flying. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Just curious, do you happen to take flights by any chance. The reason I ask this is because the dreams might be the result of anxiety due to flying. 

Excuse me...why have you got rid of Rick from your avatar?

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

There, happy?

Yes. I'm actually giggling cause you changed your pic cause I had a hissy fit.:lol:

Edited by ThereWeAreThen
Cause I can
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ThereWeAreThen said:

Yes. I'm actually giggling cause you changed your pic cause I had a hissy fit.:lol:

Now that you had your laugh, get back on topic.

• Like 2

Well it's Freudian innit, it's always Freudian. You know what planes symbolize. Well, I haven't looked it up but I expect it's a fair assumption. So planes crashing, well, I expect it's all to do with that as well. :mellow: 

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Dumbledore the Awesome said:

Well it's Freudian innit, it's always Freudian.

What? Yours has wings? No wonder they call you awesome :)

@Aaron2016 , you've accomplished one objective in starting the thread. You and @Orphalesion should consider PMing each other and hashing out your shared experience. Your deams have the same recurrence pattern, and the same core issue: consciously apprehended powerlessness.

8 hours ago, Aaron2016 said:

I feel like I am the only one who knows it is about to crash and I feel powerless to stop it.

8 hours ago, Orphalesion said:

Most often I'm a civilian caught in the fray, once i was a conscript.

You each have found your personal core metaphor for the situation; something that speaks to each of you individually, but you aren't alone in having to deal with consciously apprehended powerlessness; it's part of the human condition.

Don't get hung up on the specificity of the two themes; go for the personally meaningfully effects on how you feel as a result.

Well dreamt, both of you.

11 hours ago, Orphalesion said:

Have you at some point in your life seen a movie about plane crashes? Read about them? Heard somebody talk about them? If you have then it's in your subconsciousness and can show up in your dreams, particularly if it might be a fear of yours. When you fly are you worried that the plane will crash?

I do have a particular kind of nightmare I have a couple of times each year, like you with the plane crashes. Being in a war. I've never been in a war myself, I don't watch war movies (mostly because of my nightmares) but living through a war is the one true fear I have. Most often I'm a civilian caught in the fray, once i was a conscript. But it's always very unsettling.

I have seen 9/11 documentaries in the past, but I really love flying, especially the take off when everyone is pushed back in their seats as the plane throttles up.  It reminds me of the excitement I used to get on roller coaster rides.  When I watch the plane crashing in my dream I don't feel scared, just anxious to stop it from happening, and being unable to.

9 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Excitement in a sense.  I fly every year on vacation and when visiting relatives, but I enjoy each flight, and sometimes wish they were longer.  Only had two bad flights.  e.g.  Returning home after visiting New York and during the descent my ears hurt so much that I was deaf for three days, and during another landing in Ireland the plane was caught in crosswinds and approached the landing almost sideways, but I loved it.

Edited by Aaron2016
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Aaron2016 said:

Excitement in a sense.  I fly every year on vacation and when visiting relatives, but I enjoy each flight, and sometimes wish they were longer.  Only had two bad flights.  e.g.  Returning home after visiting New York and during the descend my ears hurt so much that I was deaf for three days, and during another landing in Ireland the plane was caught in crosswinds and approached the landing almost sideways, but I loved it.

Okay, thank you. I'm going to guess that the dreams are just expressing a fear, even though your flights go well. That's just my take though. 

7 hours ago, and then said:

Everything you ever wanted to know about plane-crash dreams:

https://dreamingandsleeping.com/dreams-about-plane-crash-interpretation-and-meaning/

Interesting, although that article suggests I am trying to protect someone, or that I am somehow working on a project that could be sabotaged by a rival colleague.  Can't think what that could be.  When it comes to protecting others, I think it is natural to love and protect everyone as best we can, but I guess it could be referring to my parents who are elderly, divorced and more vulnerable, but we all enjoy flying.

Edited by Aaron2016

1 hour ago, Aaron2016 said:

Interesting, although that article suggests I am trying to protect someone, or that I am somehow working on a project that could be sabotaged by a rival colleague.  Can't think what that could be.  When it comes to protecting others, I think it is natural to love and protect everyone as best we can, but I guess it could be referring to my parents who are elderly, divorced and more vulnerable, but we all enjoy flying.

Or it's a premonition of your fate.

34 minutes ago, openozy said:

Or it's a premonition of your fate.

Used to think that, but I've had nightmares where I am drowning, being stabbed, on fire, being shot.

5 minutes ago, Aaron2016 said:

Used to think that, but I've had nightmares where I am drowning, being stabbed, on fire, being shot.

Sounds like you have an overwhelming or underlying fear of death.I don't know you,but you maybe the only one with the answer to your dreams. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, openozy said:

Sounds like you have an overwhelming or underlying fear of death.I don't know you,but you maybe the only one with the answer to your dreams. 

But the thing is, I don't fear death or plane crashes.  I find death a comforting transition between this life and the next as one chapter ends and another begins.  I remember having quite a few pleasant dreams about my own death.  There was a funny one I recall where I was trying to use the internet to tell my friends I was dead and there was a bright light at the front door, and I was trying to write my messages as fast as I could, before it was time to go.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Aaron2016 said:

But the thing is, I don't fear death or plane crashes.  I find death a comforting transition between this life and the next as one chapter ends and another begins.  I remember having quite a few pleasant dreams about my own death.  There was a funny one I recall where I was trying to use the internet to tell my friends I was dead and there was a bright light at the front door, and I was trying to write my messages as fast as I could, before it was time to go.

I'm on the same page as you with death.I don't think anyone could be an expert on dreams,the mind's such a complex thing and everyone is different.Maybe its a lack of fear and your brains saying you do need to watch out to survive day to day,just a thought.

Edited by openozy

21 minutes ago, openozy said:

I'm on the same page as you with death.I don't think anyone could be an expert on dreams,the mind's such a complex thing and everyone is different.Maybe its a lack of fear and your brains saying you do need to watch out to survive day to day,just a thought.

Could be that.  I do lack fear and many forms of emotion.  When people laugh at work, or someone is getting married, or has died, or has given birth to a baby, I feel almost no emotion or sense of what I'm supposed to feel and I end up putting on a fake smile and forcing myself to express an emotion in order to fit in and not appear different from the others around me at the time.  I spent my childhood watching British period dramas with very tight emotions.  I suppose that has left a lasting impression on me.  One of the positive things about posting online is that we just type in plain text, and lacks all outbursts of emotion which in many ways describes my personality.  I wonder if my dreams are related and are telling me that I lack something, and my dreams are forcing that emotion upon me, in order to correct the imbalance?

10 hours ago, Aaron2016 said:

, I feel almost no emotion or sense of what I'm supposed to feel and I end up putting on a fake smile and forcing myself to express an emotion in order to fit in

Don't sweat over that,I'd imagine 98% of the population are like that.

• Like 2

I like the dreams where you are taking off. Oh man what a feeling.

Crashing planes is an omen of your life.

Edited by brian100
add the dream reading
  • Like 1

On 9/9/2019 at 5:07 AM, Aaron2016 said:

Its not a premonition until you get the dream with the spirit one who controls that dream and not you.

• 2 weeks later...

This dream has something to do with a situation getting out of control, you are aware of it but you are letting it happen. Whatever it is, you know where it is headed. 

• Like 1

On 9/8/2019 at 4:29 PM, Aaron2016 said:

I don't feel scared, just uneasy.  I feel like I am the only one who knows it is about to crash and I feel powerless to stop it.

Any ideas why I keep getting these recurring nightmares / dreams, and have you experienced anything similar?

I can't say for everyone, maybe we dream differently, but I've found time and again that reflecting on my dreams, it kind of seems to me like whatever I experienced in the dream is kind of just the backdrop (or catalyst) to the important part of the dream, which is how I feel in the dream. Like you could say it as, the dream is acting out like a play, and I'm the observer, reacting to the 'play' with my feelings, and that the evocation of those certain feelings I feet when 'viewing' the dream, that was the point of the dream, just my brain came up with whatever it wanted/could to tell that story to evoke that feeling.

If I'm on the right trail about that and dreams, I'd guess that maybe these recurring 'plays' you're seeing are just a common way for your dream to evoke the sense of uneasiness and the feeling of powerlessness, and it might have showed you that you don't like those feelings, and maybe next time you feel it in 'real life', you may subconsciously (or in your case, potentially consciously) recall that dream, and maybe change something to act accordingly to get over that negative feeling of unease and/or feeling of powerlessness in a situation.

I could be wrong, but it's what I've noticed in my own dreams.