Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

London borough first to ban sale of real fur

Still Waters

Islington is the first London borough to ban the sale of real fur in its markets, after the council decided to tackle the "cruel and awful" industry.

It will be illegal for traders in Chapel, Exmouth, Camden Passage and Whitecross Street markets from 1 January 2020.

Islington is the second borough in the country, after Oldham, to review changes to street trading licences.

The council said it was not believed illegally-farmed fur was sold in the borough's markets and all sellers were consulted.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-49647949?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Still Waters said:

Islington is the first London borough to ban the sale of real fur in its markets, after the council decided to tackle the "cruel and awful" industry.

You know it's pretty disgusting really isn't it....I must be going mental because I thought fur was banned years ago and not just back in 2000.  How silly of me!

"This ban on the sale of animal fur in Islington's iconic markets will help clear up any confusion, and give consumers confidence that what they are buying is faux fur," executive director Claire Bass said.

Fur farming has been banned in Britain since 2000 but figures show the UK imported almost £75m of fur in 2017.

Over the past two years, fashion houses Prada, Burberry and Gucci pledged to go fur-free, while brand Gucci stopped using fur in a 2018 collection.

These fashion houses should be ashamed of themselves.  They like to be seen as leaders in the fashion industry yet have still been using fur.  Pfffft. 

I still think it sounds funny....."Hey, I just purchased an Authentic Faux Fur!"......Whoever would've thought authentic fakes of "anything" would become a thing.  :lol: