Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Giza Tomb of Osiris

Kenemet

Admittedly I get so tired of Great Pyramid reworkings that I tend to ignore everything about Giza, but Egyptologist Kara Cooney had a link on Facebook today about an Osiris tomb (an underground tomb) at Giza (link here: https://www.dailygrail.com/2017/11/uncovering-the-lost-tomb-of-osiris/) ... and I'm not sure if it's that I'm a cranky old leopard or I'm not in tune with Egyptology or what, but I felt as if the sources were far too ready to embrace any old idea they could come up with and less willing to see what the data says.  I like Cooney's writing but I disagree with her on a number of things (although I'm using her as a source for a lecture on life at Tel el Amarna, I admit that I picked her for the rather dramatic descriptions rather than nit picky adherence to minutiae.)

I did find another article that's more satisfying to my scholarly heart and not nearly as sensational.  https://ancientneareast.org/2012/02/18/the-osiris-shaft-a-giza-cenotaph/

Like many tombs in ancient Egypt, this is another "mixed bag" that was created in one dynasty and then repurposed and reused frequently.  The construction is particularly weird; I can't think of another one like it (three levels) though there are a large number of pit tombs.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

It is an interesting one and the source of many ALT-F ideas about 'tunnels under the pyramids'. It is thought it was the source of the Heredotus(?) thinking there was a tunnel under the GP.

• Like 3

I recommend the (variable) water level in the lowest shaft section, as crucial for explaining the overall "Osiris" shaft complex.   

The sarcophagus in the lowest level could only be placed there when the local water table was EXTREMELY low.  Serendipity suggests this was likely to be during Egypt's First Intermediate Period, when Egypt had extreme drought.  The first linked-article says the stone in this 3rd level sarcophagus has been dated to roughly the time of the First Intermediate Period.  

The Osiris shaft or tomb does pass the proximity to the Pyramids test, but that is about it.  It is interesting, but the so called "trial passages" have a much clearer connection, at least to the GP, when considering angles and construction.

A strange shaft tomb, I wonder who it was originally in the lowest chamber (if not a cenotaph.)
Thanks for the link to Kmt_sesh's essay.

Edited by The Wistman
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, Hanslune said:

It is an interesting one and the source of many ALT-F ideas about 'tunnels under the pyramids'. It is thought it was the source of the Heredotus(?) thinking there was a tunnel under the GP.

I didn't realize that there was such a structure, but when I started reading about it then I came to the conclusion that it was the source of many of these fantasies.

1 hour ago, The Wistman said:

A strange shaft tomb, I wonder who it was originally in the lowest chamber (if not a cenotaph.)
Thanks for the link to Kmt_sesh's essay.

Brain did NOT put 2 and 2 together... didn't realize it was Kmt's blog entry until you pointed it out!  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Megaro said:

It is interesting, but the so called "trial passages" have a much clearer connection, at least to the GP, when considering angles and construction.

Can you link to what you mean by the trail passages? Thanks

1 hour ago, Megaro said:

Gladly, it is an interesting feature.  I can't vouch for the author, but this link has some interesting photos and theories.

http://thehereticmagazine.com/the-trial-passages-a-message-in-stone/

Thanks once I saw it I remembered the reference. Like finding an old friend.

8 hours ago, Kenemet said:

The description is good, but I don't find any of the ideas (theories) very convincing.

Most people don't like the idea of tombs - so passe'

On 9/11/2019 at 12:15 AM, Kenemet said:

Admittedly I get so tired of Great Pyramid reworkings that I tend to ignore everything about Giza, but Egyptologist Kara Cooney had a link on Facebook today about an Osiris tomb (an underground tomb) at Giza (link here: https://www.dailygrail.com/2017/11/uncovering-the-lost-tomb-of-osiris/) ... and I'm not sure if it's that I'm a cranky old leopard or I'm not in tune with Egyptology or what, but I felt as if the sources were far too ready to embrace any old idea they could come up with and less willing to see what the data says. 

I did find another article that's more satisfying to my scholarly heart and not nearly as sensational.  https://ancientneareast.org/2012/02/18/the-osiris-shaft-a-giza-cenotaph/

Like many tombs in ancient Egypt, this is another "mixed bag" that was created in one dynasty and then repurposed and reused frequently.  The construction is particularly weird; I can't think of another one like it (three levels) though there are a large number of pit tombs.

Dacite is found in the Eastern Desert (3) (and more here; and here; and here (635) and here (including a mention of Mars ... ).

This piece by Robert Bauval (a remarkably similar text appears under the name of Graham Hancock) also deal with the episode.

(AFAIK, Osiris was not resurrected.  He went to reign over the kingom of the dead.)

(BTW: lying in granite sarcophagi, holding candlelit ceremonies in the GP, etc.: not a good idea.)

Kmt-Sesh - may he soon return!  He's sadly missed ...

• Like 4