Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Eldorado

The Statue of Liberty was an Arab woman

Recommended Posts

Eldorado

"The United States has debated immigration since the country's founding, and the Statue of Liberty—a potent symbol for immigrants—is often invoked as an argument for why we should usher in those who seek safety and opportunity with open arms.

"A little-known fact about Lady Liberty adds an intriguing twist to today's debate about refugees from the Muslim world: As pointed out by The Daily Beast’s Michael Daly in a recent op-ed, the statue itself was originally intended to represent a female Egyptian peasant as a Colossus of Rhodes for the Industrial Age."

Full article at the Smithsonian: : https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/statue-liberty-was-originally-muslim-woman-180957377/#31jM0vCeIHlRirzz.99

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Scholar4Truth

Well this is a surprise! :o

Edited by Scholar4Truth
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OverSword

About three years late.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Manwon Lender
1 hour ago, Eldorado said:

"The United States has debated immigration since the country's founding, and the Statue of Liberty—a potent symbol for immigrants—is often invoked as an argument for why we should usher in those who seek safety and opportunity with open arms.

"A little-known fact about Lady Liberty adds an intriguing twist to today's debate about refugees from the Muslim world: As pointed out by The Daily Beast’s Michael Daly in a recent op-ed, the statue itself was originally intended to represent a female Egyptian peasant as a Colossus of Rhodes for the Industrial Age."

Full article at the Smithsonian: : https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/statue-liberty-was-originally-muslim-woman-180957377/#31jM0vCeIHlRirzz.99

 

That's very interesting, never heard this before

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Not A Rockstar

She does not appear to be wearing a burka to me, but being inspired by and first envisioned as an Egyptian woman before being commissioned for a different placement and possibly changed doesn't seem huge. Not sure that "Liberty" has a specific culture or racial origin. I guess if I ever thought about it, I assumed she was wearing something inspired from ancient Greece. If it is a burka, that is sort of unexpected.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney
26 minutes ago, Not A Rockstar said:

She does not appear to be wearing a burka to me, but being inspired by and first envisioned as an Egyptian woman before being commissioned for a different placement and possibly changed doesn't seem huge. Not sure that "Liberty" has a specific culture or racial origin. I guess if I ever thought about it, I assumed she was wearing something inspired from ancient Greece. If it is a burka, that is sort of unexpected.

I always thought she was a Victorian portrayal of Isis using the Roman model.  That's whose crown she is wearing. 

Edited by Piney
**** Atlantis
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
and then
31 minutes ago, Not A Rockstar said:

Not sure that "Liberty" has a specific culture

It may not have one today but its ORIGINAL culture was distinctly American.  It's why, despite the faults of this country, it is still the most sought after residence on the planet.  

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
and then

Okay, EL, I realize GB has a lot of "undocumented" types thronging to get in but, really?  ;)   OUR tide of illegals makes yours paltry by comparison :w00t:

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
and then
17 minutes ago, Piney said:

I always thought she was a Victorian portrayal of Isis using the Roman model.  That's whose crown she is wearing. 

I read an intriguing piece that mentioned she was a depiction of Semiramis.  Nasty piece of work, that.  

Edited by and then
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
and then
1 hour ago, Not A Rockstar said:

If it is a burka, that is sort of unexpected.

WHAT?  If so, that biotch is guilty of cultural appropriation!  Down she comes! :w00t:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Taun

I always assumed she was a version of Columbia Goddess of Liberty (a version of the Roman Libertas)...

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
freetoroam

I always read it was a robed Roman liberty goddess.

Quote

Originally conceived as an emblem of the friendship between the people of France and the U.S. and a sign of their mutual desire for liberty, 

 

There is no reason why the French would give the Americans a statue of a muslim woman. Hence, they did not.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
aztek

nope she is not a Muslim, it is a LIE

Quote

The Statue of Liberty is a figure of Libertas, a robed Roman liberty goddess.

 

Quote

Libertas (Latin for Liberty) is the Roman goddess and personification of liberty. She became a politicised figure in the Late Republic, featuring on coins supporting the populares faction, and later those of the assassins of Julius Caesar. Nonetheless, she sometimes appears on coins from the imperial period, such as Galba's "Freedom of the People" coins during his short reign after the death of Nero.[1] Her two usual attributes are the rod and the soft pileus, which she holds out, rather than wears.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eldorado
1 hour ago, aztek said:

nope she is not a Muslim, it is a LIE

 

 

He liked ladies in robes.

"....in the late 1860s, he approached Isma'il Pasha, Khedive of Egypt, with a plan to build Progress or Egypt Carrying the Light to Asia, a huge lighthouse in the form of an ancient Egyptian female fellah or peasant, robed and holding a torch aloft, at the northern entrance to the Suez Canal in Port Said."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statue_of_Liberty

"In the 1880s Bartholdi designed and built his colossal Liberty Enlightening the World, a robed female figure bearing a torch, which became known as the Statue of Liberty."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egypt_Carrying_the_Light_to_Asia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
aztek
Just now, Eldorado said:

He liked ladies in robes.

"....in the late 1860s, he approached Isma'il Pasha, Khedive of Egypt, with a plan to build Progress or Egypt Carrying the Light to Asia, a huge lighthouse in the form of an ancient Egyptian female fellah or peasant, robed and holding a torch aloft, at the northern entrance to the Suez Canal in Port Said."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statue_of_Liberty

"In the 1880s Bartholdi designed and built his colossal Liberty Enlightening the World, a robed female figure bearing a torch, which became known as the Statue of Liberty."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egypt_Carrying_the_Light_to_Asia

 

well statue of liberty is NOT an Egyptian female, it is roman goddess,  that much is clear, idk what you trying to prove here, but good luck

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eldorado
Just now, aztek said:

 

well statue of liberty is NOT an Egyptian female, it is roman goddess,  that much is clear, idk what you trying to prove here, but good luck

I'm not trying to prove anything, merely showing you where they got their ammo from.  The articles in the media are just the Left rattling the chains of the Right, that's why this thread is here in the offbeat forum.  A very obvious wind-up... that worked!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
aztek
2 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

I'm not trying to prove anything, merely showing you where they got their ammo from.  The articles in the media are just the Left rattling the chains of the Right, that's why this thread is here in the offbeat forum.  A very obvious wind-up... that worked!

it looks a lot like flame baiting and trolling

 

Quote

We define 'trolling' as the act of posting intentionally false, controversial or offensive comments designed to start arguments or to provoke, bait or annoy other members.

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RoofGardener

Interesting re-writing of history, but.. NO.. it was not a muslim, or an egyptian peasant. 

The ORIGINAL concept was. The statue (which was never built) was to have stood at the beginning of the Suez Canal. However, the local authorities turned the idea down, and it was never built.

So the original designer re-imagined the statue when he created the Statue of Liberty, which was neither Egyptian or Muslim. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Oniomancer

If you want to get technical about it, it's modeled after the sculptor's mom, who was Alsatian German.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
third_eye

Funnily enough, the statue looks nothing like a dog... 

~

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RoofGardener
2 minutes ago, Oniomancer said:

If you want to get technical about it, it's modeled after the sculptor's mom, who was Alsatian German.

Alsatian ? What.. she was a dog ? :o 

Oh b*****... @third_eye beat me to it.... 

Edited by RoofGardener
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.