Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Every 40 seconds, someone suicides somewhere

Eldorado

"Somebody dies by taking their own life every 40 seconds, according to a significant report by the World Health Organization (WHO).

"It said suicide was a "major public health problem" that was too often shrouded in taboo.

"The WHO wants to reduce the rate of suicide by 10% by 2020, but warned that just 38 countries have a national suicide prevention strategy."

Full rport at the BBC: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-29060238

"Suicide was the second leading cause of death among young people aged 15-29 years, after road injury."

WHO: https://www.who.int/news-room/detail/09-09-2019-suicide-one-person-dies-every-40-seconds

:(

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 5

Very sad.

We need to talk openly about this - too many people suffer in silence!

We need to help each other more.

The system isn't enough here, people need to care more about their fellow man.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, LightAngel said:

Very sad.

People need to care more about themselves.  It's not really amazing that so many people commit suicide.  Suffering is a common human malady.  But...for many there seems to be a Cure for the suffering...it's called death.  Many choose death because they think it ends the suffering...when all it does is 'transfer' the suffering to someone else.  It has been my experience that when someone has decided in their own mind that suicide is the only way out...it is damn near impossible to talk them out of it.  

It is very sad though.

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, joc said:

People need to care more about themselves.  It's not really amazing that so many people commit suicide.  Suffering is a common human malady.  But...for many there seems to be a Cure for the suffering...it's called death.  Many choose death because they think it ends the suffering...when all it does is 'transfer' the suffering to someone else.  It has been my experience that when someone has decided in their own mind that suicide is the only way out...it is damn near impossible to talk them out of it.  

It is very sad though.

Yes, we should care about ourselves (in the right way).

And we should care about the well-being of others as well.

True caring, and love can change things - the problem is that some people don't really care, they just want to be right!

I have seen some very suffering people turn their life around because they got the right help and love.

They found somebody who understood them and their pain.

Intelligence and love can change things - both are needed here.

Edited by LightAngel
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, joc said:

when someone has decided in their own mind that suicide is the only way out...it is damn near impossible to talk them out of it.  

It is very sad though.

True. And sometimes those who don't pull the trigger and up with a rather pessimist/nihilist view of life, often in my personal experience get told to "cheer up" and "be optimistic" which does **** to elevate the mood. 

• Thanks 1

i see it as a part of natural selection.  there is nothing anyone can do about it,  nor we should, i had 2 people i know commit suicide, both were as different as it gets, yet both killed themselves cuz they could not deal with emotions, and  reality,  it is survival of the fittest, and they weren't fit enough.  

I don't share the sense that it is inherently wrong, controlling the timing and manner of the end of one's life.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, quiXilver said:

I don't share the sense that it is inherently wrong, controlling the timing and manner of the end of one's life.

I think that people with terminal illnesses should be allowed to choose the timing of their death - it's more peaceful and safe that way.

It should be a choice, so people can die with dignity.

• Like 2

On 9/11/2019 at 5:16 AM, LightAngel said:

Very sad.

I went through a time where I seriously obsessed about ending things.  My family were well aware and did nothing to intervene.  I think they just didn't know what to do.  They understood that  I wasn't a threat to anyone else but they just didn't know how to help.  So they basically ignored me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

On 9/13/2019 at 5:39 PM, quiXilver said:

that said... my wife, my three closest friends and myself have all flirted with the final dance very recently...

• Like 2

As someone who has danced with death ( not by my choice!) on a number of occasions, and as one who has flirted with him, I just want to say that sometimes, some people are faced with such an overwhelmingly insurmountable situation, to them, that they feel the ONLY solution is the final deep sleep.

Sometimes, someone is only hanging on, because of 1 reason they found to keep on going.

Sometimes, this drastic step can be avoided ( or postponed) by intervention. Sometimes, not so much.

Sometimes, all it takes is a simple gesture to change someone's course.

I just want to say that if you know anyone who displays self-destructive, or suicidal ideations, please, PLEASE take them seriously.. 

Don't brush them off saying "You think YOU have problems? Let me tell you..." Because THEY might not be as strong as YOU.

DON'T be the one who has to live with the reality of: "Geez, I saw "X" only an hour before they...….."

Bottom line: You have no fecking clue what another is going through.  Be kind. Not for any reward, not for glory, or for self-esteem; just, be kind. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

As someone who has danced with death ( not by my choice!) on a number of occasions, and as one who has flirted with him, I just want to say that sometimes, some people are faced with such an overwhelmingly insurmountable situation, to them, that they feel the ONLY solution is the final deep sleep.

Sometimes, someone is only hanging on, because of 1 reason they found to keep on going.

Very much true. Even if that reason is trivial, it is a reason. 

Sometimes, this drastic step can be avoided ( or postponed) by intervention. Sometimes, not so much.

Just listening helps. Telling someone to just "Cheer up" and/or "Think Positive" can have negative effects.

Sometimes, all it takes is a simple gesture to change someone's course.

Took people actually listening to me. Two on here were my light in the darkness of life. To them I am grateful

I just want to say that if you know anyone who displays self-destructive, or suicidal ideations, please, PLEASE take them seriously.. 

When it's not their problem they don't really care. What I notice is they want "Shut your whining". 

Don't brush them off saying "You think YOU have problems? Let me tell you..." Because THEY might not be as strong as YOU.

DON'T be the one who has to live with the reality of: "Geez, I saw "X" only an hour before they...….."

Bottom line: You have no fecking clue what another is going through.  Be kind. Not for any reward, not for glory, or for self-esteem; just, be kind. 

I've grown more and more hesitant in crushing peoples spiritual/religious beliefs over time. Because for some people that is a meaning to their life. Do I agree with it, no, but I do acknowledge that it may very well give that person a meaning, a value to their life. There are probably more good believers than the toxic one's we often see here. In fact I'd wager a guess that there are more good people on this planet that what the media wants to force feed us. Then you have men who are basically shamed by social media for being, well, men, and that puts a lot of mental and emotional stress on a lot of them. They can't handle or ignore it, so they become self-destructive and eventually overdose or commit suicide. But it really does look like people don't care much about a man's well being.  I dealt with my own suffering for a little over 6 years and still have 'blue' days. 

So instead of people trying to shove positive thinking down their throats, why not ask them what's going on, help them figure out solutions and just be there for them. Yes, that melancholy mood might annoy you, but there is a person behind it. The world isn't rainbows and sunshine for everyone. Everyone has their own hell, everyone has to deal with it, some people just have better coping skills and others get to the point where they are tired of coping. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 9/14/2019 at 1:35 PM, and then said:

I went through a time where I seriously obsessed about ending things.  My family were well aware and did nothing to intervene.  I think they just didn't know what to do.  They understood that  I wasn't a threat to anyone else but they just didn't know how to help.  So they basically ignored me.

People are often scared of what they don't understand.

It doesn't mean that they don't care - often they are just afraid to make mistakes that will worsen the situation. 

If a person breaks, then you have to be very careful with their feelings - that's why people in a serious crisis often just need somebody to be there.

But we have all different personalities, so each situation can be different.

• Like 2

Every 40 seconds. It's not an easy life to navigate, that's for real.

They should teach coping mechanisms in schools - yes, at least two classes per week beginning in primary school - and encourage the idea of peer support. Destigmatize the inner struggle, the human struggle. I recently heard the practice of mindfulness is being taught in some schools now too, which is very encouraging. It's a start. 

• Like 2

On 9/16/2019 at 11:46 PM, zygote_myles said:

Every 40 seconds. It's not an easy life to navigate, that's for real.

They should teach coping mechanisms in schools - yes, at least two classes per week beginning in primary school - and encourage the idea of peer support. Destigmatize the inner struggle, the human struggle. I recently heard the practice of mindfulness is being taught in some schools now too, which is very encouraging. It's a start. 

Yes, at least it's a start. :yes:

We need to change the whole education system - I think it needs a big transformation.

We should help children to become whole creatures!

• Thanks 1

@LightAngel

Absolutely, absolutely. That would be the type of world a person could feel good about. The type of world people will feel less depressed about.

Do you think the education system and human society as a whole, will be able to grow enough to make such a positive change happen? Or are we doomed to a society of unhappy souls ready to throw in the towel at any minute?

• Like 1

On 9/14/2019 at 4:21 AM, aztek said:

i see it as a part of natural selection.  there is nothing anyone can do about it,  nor we should, i had 2 people i know commit suicide, both were as different as it gets, yet both killed themselves cuz they could not deal with emotions, and  reality,  it is survival of the fittest, and they weren't fit enough.  

Feel free to disregard all medical intervention when your life is in danger then.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I think we are going to see more of it with the misery of over population until we end up like lemmings off a Walt Disney doco.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Rlyeh said:

Feel free to disregard all medical intervention when your life is in danger then.

wow such a valuable advice form someone whose opinion means 0 to me.

Edited by aztek

23 hours ago, zygote_myles said:

@LightAngel

Absolutely, absolutely. That would be the type of world a person could feel good about. The type of world people will feel less depressed about.

Do you think the education system and human society as a whole, will be able to grow enough to make such a positive change happen? Or are we doomed to a society of unhappy souls ready to throw in the towel at any minute?

I don't know if you read blogs, but I wrote some blogs in here  - I express a lot of my thoughts about society there.

Every change needs to start within every individual.

• Thanks 1

On 9/11/2019 at 6:16 AM, LightAngel said:

Very sad.

@LightAngel

You have such a perfect screen name. The light you exude is both amazing and refreshing.

I'm one of the almost every 40 seconds. Honestly, it truly sucks. I wasn't always that way. It took a LOT of loss to beat me down. What truly did me in was grief. I lost a lot of people in a very short time. With their loss also went my support network. I had very successfully dealt with only too many other types of issues and obstacles. But grief beat me, hard.

I recently had what I would call a life-changing experience. One that could have been bad but has truly been a the best thing that could have happened to me.

In all honesty, we need to change the perception and the conversation about mental health and mental wellness. People should not have to fail before help is offered or available. I agree with you that listening and being available to those who suffer or are in pain is critical. It can only be 5 minutes or a kind words that changes a life. It's not much to give for such a huge difference. The negativity that exists currently, in the regular world and online, is brutal. Only too many just spout the first negative response that comes to mind without giving any thought to the consequences. Today, our community is global because of social media and it's truly not pretty. Being "anonymous" behind a keyboard has brought out the very worst in humanity, IMHO.

• Like 3

On 9/19/2019 at 8:25 PM, Jenn8779 said:

@LightAngel

You have such a perfect screen name. The light you exude is both amazing and refreshing.

I'm one of the almost every 40 seconds. Honestly, it truly sucks. I wasn't always that way. It took a LOT of loss to beat me down. What truly did me in was grief. I lost a lot of people in a very short time. With their loss also went my support network. I had very successfully dealt with only too many other types of issues and obstacles. But grief beat me, hard.

I recently had what I would call a life-changing experience. One that could have been bad but has truly been a the best thing that could have happened to me.

In all honesty, we need to change the perception and the conversation about mental health and mental wellness. People should not have to fail before help is offered or available. I agree with you that listening and being available to those who suffer or are in pain is critical. It can only be 5 minutes or a kind words that changes a life. It's not much to give for such a huge difference. The negativity that exists currently, in the regular world and online, is brutal. Only too many just spout the first negative response that comes to mind without giving any thought to the consequences. Today, our community is global because of social media and it's truly not pretty. Being "anonymous" behind a keyboard has brought out the very worst in humanity, IMHO.

I'm so sorry about your loss - it is very brutal to lose people and animals. It's very important to go through a healthy sorrow process.

People can easily break if they don't have the right surroundings and time to grieve (you need to be surrounded by loving and caring people).

Care to share more about your life-changing experience?

I agree that help should be available much sooner - prevention is always better than cure.

Thank you for your kindness and intelligence. 

I wrote a really long post here, but I removed much of it because it started to look like a book - I just felt I had so much to tell you!

;)

• Thanks 2

On 9/20/2019 at 7:25 AM, Jenn8779 said:

Hi @Jenn8779, I appreciated your post, advice and insight you gave, I agree wholeheartedly.

Would you care to share your life-changing experience here? I'm very interested in those kinds of things, though I do understand if you don't wish to.

I'm glad you made it through your very difficult time though, and thanks for sharing all the same.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/11/2019 at 7:49 PM, Eldorado said:

"Somebody dies by taking their own life every 40 seconds, according to a significant report by the World Health Organization (WHO).

"It said suicide was a "major public health problem" that was too often shrouded in taboo.

"The WHO wants to reduce the rate of suicide by 10% by 2020, but warned that just 38 countries have a national suicide prevention strategy."

Full rport at the BBC: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-29060238

"Suicide was the second leading cause of death among young people aged 15-29 years, after road injury."

WHO: https://www.who.int/news-room/detail/09-09-2019-suicide-one-person-dies-every-40-seconds

:(

I'm not convinced that euthanasia shouldn't be available to any sane adult, not just those with terminal illness. With all sorts of strict caveats of course. If, after exhausting all therapies and treatments over a period, considered sane, yet still would like to check out I'm not sure why it shouldn't be their own decision to make? I'm not necessarily convinced that it should be either, but something needs to change and the situation at present means there is probably room for consideration and at least debate.

If nothing else and even if sound reasons are offered against it, debate might help rid the subject of the taboo and sense of shame, the wrong idea that it is somehow cowardly that stops people being open about it.

These statistics could also indicate an underlying problem with the health of the relevant societies themselves. It doesn't go in depth regarding the suicide prevention strategies, but perhaps it should include far more scope than it does currently, as these numbers are not promising.

• Like 2

People can learn from the past when they faced much greater unrelenting suffering. Virtually every culture developed a spiritual faith system to sustain them, something outside of the ordinary they see each day that allowed them to separate themselves internally from all the external misery. I know that many see religions as just control tools created to use people, but faiths are a part of culture and culture is simply a tool box full of things to use to increase longevity and improve the quality of life .:geek:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1