Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Every 40 seconds, someone suicides somewhere

Eldorado

2 hours ago, Bella-Angelique said:

People can learn from the past when they faced much greater unrelenting suffering. Virtually every culture developed a spiritual faith system to sustain them, something outside of the ordinary they see each day that allowed them to separate themselves internally from all the external misery. I know that many see religions as just control tools created to use people, but faiths are a part of culture and culture is simply a tool box full of things to use to increase longevity and improve the quality of life .:geek:

Suicide existed in the past for pretty much the same reasons we have today.

5 hours ago, Bella-Angelique said:

People can learn from the past when they faced much greater unrelenting suffering. Virtually every culture developed a spiritual faith system to sustain them, something outside of the ordinary they see each day that allowed them to separate themselves internally from all the external misery. I know that many see religions as just control tools created to use people, but faiths are a part of culture and culture is simply a tool box full of things to use to increase longevity and improve the quality of life .:geek:

Faith in God or Hell Fire. Not exactly the most constructive nor optimistic motivation. 

• Like 5

On 9/20/2019 at 5:08 AM, LightAngel said:

I'm so sorry about your loss - it is very brutal to lose people and animals. It's very important to go through a healthy sorrow process.

People can easily break if they don't have the right surroundings and time to grieve (you need to be surrounded by loving and caring people).

Care to share more about your life-changing experience?

I agree that help should be available much sooner - prevention is always better than cure.

Thank you for your kindness and intelligence. 

I wrote a really long post here, but I removed much of it because it started to look like a book - I just felt I had so much to tell you!

;)

On 9/23/2019 at 12:16 PM, zygote_myles said:

Hi @Jenn8779, I appreciated your post, advice and insight you gave, I agree wholeheartedly.

Would you care to share your life-changing experience here? I'm very interested in those kinds of things, though I do understand if you don't wish to.

I'm glad you made it through your very difficult time though, and thanks for sharing all the same.

Sorry for not responding sooner but I came down with a brutal cold and just couldn't even think straight long enough to answer.

My life changing experience was that I actually lost my job. At first, I was truly devastated, anxious and depressed. But I thought about it and realized several things. First, I really hated that job, it was not challenging and offered me no advancement opportunities. Second, it offered no life balance and the hours made it impossible for me to get the therapy I really needed. Third, it didn't align at all with my core goals and what is really important to me. So, what did I really lose? Nothing!

I have been able to collect unemployment and have started therapy, which has been a godsend. Learning to change my way of thinking and also forgiving myself and others for crap I've been holding on to for way too long.

I also have been doing self reflection, shadow work and evaluation of what matters most to me. It's hard as hell and a lot of it is very painful. But releasing it has been so worth it! I've decided that I want to work with people like myself and help them anyway I can. So I'll be going back to school for human services part time. While doing that, I hope to find work at a non-profit as that culture is more aligned to what is important to me. Way more than breaking my kiester making money for a big corporation that doesn't care about their employees, let alone the greater world.

Sorry for the long post but there was no way to condense it without losing important content.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 9/25/2019 at 3:32 PM, XenoFish said:

Faith in God or Hell Fire. Not exactly the most constructive nor optimistic motivation. 

No, it's not. But you can weed out "junk"and take what works. An example, at least something that works for me, is below from the new testament.... good advice no matter where it comes from

"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of it's own" Matthew 6:34

1 minute ago, Jenn8779 said:

No, it's not. But you can weed out "junk"and take what works. An example, at least something that works for me, is below from the new testament.... good advice no matter where it comes from

"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of it's own" Matthew 6:34

Love thy neighbor as thy self. Do unto others as you wish done to you. Strip away all the mystical mumbo jumbo and cultural rules, sometimes there is a basic life philosophy that's useful. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Love thy neighbor as thy self. Do unto others as you wish done to you. Strip away all the mystical mumbo jumbo and cultural rules, sometimes there is a basic life philosophy that's useful. 

Yes! Have you heard or read the book, think it's called everything I need to know I learned in kindergarten? Same idea really. To me it just seems like a basic way to interact with people and to conduct yourself so you're not an a-hole. Lol

Very much hoping things are going well for you. I think of you often and hope that you are doing well

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jenn8779 said:

Yes! Have you heard or read the book, think it's called everything I need to know I learned in kindergarten? Same idea really. To me it just seems like a basic way to interact with people and to conduct yourself so you're not an a-hole. Lol

Very much hoping things are going well for you. I think of you often and hope that you are doing well

Thanks. I was wonder where you ran off to. And no, I haven't read or even heard of that book. 

• Like 2

Just now, XenoFish said:

Thanks. I was wonder where you ran off to. And no, I haven't read or even heard of that book. 

Life kicked my butt, unfortunately. But read a post or two back and it'll fill you in on the crap. Lol

That book is great in that it really simplifies it down to how we should treat, and interact, with each other.... regardless of religion, politics, etc

I just hope we can find love for each other. 

• Like 1

Thanks very much for sharing your life-changing experience @Jenn8779.

Wow, that is truly a case of the cloud having a silver lining, and I think there's an important message in there, too, for a lot of people who are perhaps heading toward the emotional rock-bottom as well. 

You're the right lady for a job in mental health, I can sense it 100%.

Not that you'll be needing it but good luck, all the same!!

Thank you for sharing. Much appreciated. (((Hugs)))

• Like 2

On 9/25/2019 at 3:32 PM, XenoFish said:

It is a 24/7 Community Support Group. That is what all faiths were for originally. AA and other support groups basically patterned themselves off the same principle by having a contact person who can be called on the phone at any hour when the need hits until they reach a area of safety in their lives. 

So since the topic came up I have called around in my area to check for myself and found that out of all the many churches there are only one had such a program that has constant support contact for depression, ptsd, and other problems people face that need that constant support. It was a local Mega-church. I talked with the program director and half of the people in the groups are non-church members. Many who belong are victims of childhood and domestic abuse I was told, as well as some war veterans. They are in different groups based on need. She said the program is operated nationwide to any churches that support it.  Since I only found the one, I think it is a good bet that the larger the church the more likely a constant access support program might be there.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/27/2019 at 12:44 AM, Jenn8779 said:

I just hope we can find love for each other. 

Love starts with you!

• Like 2

On 9/11/2019 at 7:49 PM, Eldorado said:

"It said suicide was a "major public health problem" that was too often shrouded in taboo.

"The WHO wants to reduce the rate of suicide by 10% by 2020, but warned that just 38 countries have a national suicide prevention strategy."

The suicide rate amongst fathers who have been unfairly stripped of their entire lives is a debated, but definite figure 

For the countries who have strategies, they might want to look at how many they are directly responsible for. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

All please remember that those of us who are struggling with mental health issues don't always act appropriately. We try but often fail in the attempt.

Please try and understand and also please forgive

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Jenn8779 said:

All please remember that those of us who are struggling with mental health issues don't always act appropriately. We try but often fail in the attempt.

Please try and understand and also please forgive

So true.

Please also remember that people who loves you are doing the best they can!

They won't be perfect, but if they love you, then they will do their best!

• Like 2