Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Native American slave owners

Eldorado

8 minutes ago, hetrodoxly said:

native Americans were killing and torturing each other long before Europeans arrived

So was the rest of the world. Whose in denial about that? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Desertrat56 said:

I thought you were talking about running buffalo herds off of cliffs.  I never said natives didn't war and fight amongst themselves before eurpeans arrived.

You 

1 hour ago, Desertrat56 said:

I thought you were talking about running buffalo herds off of cliffs.  I never said natives didn't war and fight amongst themselves before eurpeans arrived.

I was, that part of my post was your 'European bad man' they we're all bad men.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Piney said:

So was the rest of the world. Whose in denial about that? 

I couldn't agree more everyone did it, even native Americans.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Piney said:

We ate snakes and birds and took cats for their whole skin and bones.

Our mantles and roaches were made of turkey feathers, The rule for golden eagle feathers was you had to pluck the tail feathers without getting your eyes gouged out but you couldn't harm the bird. 

OK Piney, but i've read different, native American tribes are still killing eagles today.

15 minutes ago, hetrodoxly said:

OK Piney, but i've read different, native American tribes are still killing eagles today.

I Never said they didn't. Just not Algonquians.

No such thing as a "Noble Savage".  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Piney said:

I Never said they didn't. Just not Algonquians.

No such thing as a "Noble Savage".  

I can't remember the tribes involved but i know there was a disagreement over killing birds for feathers amongst them, the government banned the killing of eagles but had to back-down.

3 minutes ago, hetrodoxly said:

I can't remember the tribes involved but i know there was a disagreement over killing birds for feathers amongst them, the government banned the killing of eagles but had to back-down.

The government banned the killing of eagles except for native ceremonial purposes.  They didn't back down, they had no jurisdiction unless someone could prove it was not for ceremonial purposes.

C. The Indian Religious Exception

Recognizing the central role the eagle plays in Native American religious culture, Congress created a specific exemption for possession of the eagle for religious purposes of Indian tribes. Thus, the 1962 amendments provided not only for the preservation of the golden eagle, but also the preservation of a cultural practice.

Congressional House debate surrounding the 1962 amendments took particular notice of the fact that the golden eagle is ‘important in enabling many Indian tribes, particularly those in the southwest, to continue ancient customs and ceremonies that are of deep religious or emotional significance to them.’ Similarly the Department of the Interior observed that ‘the eagle, by reason of its majestic, solitary, and mysterious nature, became an especial object of worship. . . . The mythology of almost every tribe is replete with eagle beings.’ Congress concluded that with the addition of golden eagles to BEPA an exception should be created for Indian religious use.

Boradiansky , supra, at --. Not only did this amendment allow for the use of eagles for Indian religious purposes, but it also allowed individuals to obtain permits for scientific or exhibition purposes. 16 U.S.C. §668a . However, it is the former aspect of the amendment that has created the greatest controversy with the Act to date. (See, Section 4, infra, for more detail).

https://www.animallaw.info/article/detailed-discussion-bald-and-golden-eagle-protection-act

• Thanks 1

On 9/12/2019 at 6:01 AM, Desertrat56 said:

The stupid thing is slavery has NEVER been about black vs white.  The british slavers stole people off the streets of London and Dublin and sold them to plantaion owners in the islands.  They didn't start trading in African slaves until everyone else was doing it.  Some groups in Africa sold others from different groups in Africa to the slavers.  It has never had anything to do with ancestry or the how dark your skin is.  It has always been about profit.   The greeks enslaved their enemies, the romans enslaved people from every country they conquered, the Aztecs also had slaves. 

Well said. Also the Greeks and Romans saw slavery as a way to further ones needs and ambitions and they even sold themselves into slavery. 

Edited by Captain Risky
  • Like 1