Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Gay penguins to raise genderless chick

Eldorado

"A baby penguin being raised by a same-sex penguin couple at an aquarium in the U.K. will be brought up without a gender — the first in aquarium history.

"The young gentoo penguin, which has not yet been named, "will be the first of its kind in the history of the famous London aquarium not to be characterized as male or female," according to Sea Life London."

https://www.foxnews.com/science/genderless-penguin-london-aquarium

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/09/10/europe/penguin-genderless-chick-intl-scli-gbr/index.html

"Genderless chick" is a contradiction, no? (lol)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Eldorado said:

"A baby penguin being raised by a same-sex penguin couple at an aquarium in the U.K. will be brought up without a gender — the first in aquarium history.

"The young gentoo penguin, which has not yet been named, "will be the first of its kind in the history of the famous London aquarium not to be characterized as male or female," according to Sea Life London."

https://www.foxnews.com/science/genderless-penguin-london-aquarium

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/09/10/europe/penguin-genderless-chick-intl-scli-gbr/index.html

"Genderless chick" is a contradiction, no? (lol)

I think that is worded incorrectly.  The baby penguin has a gender but us humans will pretend that it doesn't. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, acute said:

My Dad would put his foot through the TV if he saw this stuff. :lol:

So would mine! :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Does no one bother to read the article? Oh no let's get irritated and make nasty comments before knowing the whole story. 

This species of penguin does not have easily defined sex characteristics. It takes a physician exam to even tell them apart. It's more in keeping with the species to not define gender as males and females behaviors don't define them either. 

• Like 5

People have become ridiculous. 

I hope the non gender enthusiasts will no longer being born due to their non gender parents

• Haha 7

You people are so quick to lambast everything. Try reading first

it is completely natural for penguins to develop genderless identities as they grow into mature adults

Dr Gemma Clucas, Postdoctoral Research Fellow at the Cornell Lab of Ornithology, said that male and female penguins displayed little difference beyond biological characteristics, which required close and "difficult" observation to distinguish.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Still, the penguin has a gender, it is a human thing to care about that kind of thing.  It doesn't matter to the penguin and it is crazy that someone made it a big deal about it.

Precisely so.  Gender is a social construct and I haven't seen any data on Penguins getting stressed because someone invoked the wrong pronoun when calling them for feeding.  Sure, nature has situations where animals take on what would be considered "non-traditional" roles in rearing their young but there is no evidence that it has a learned social component.  It's just silly.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

it is completely natural for penguins to develop genderless identities as they grow into mature adults

So, they don't need to be raised genderless by humans. How would humans force a gender on them to begin with?

• Like 4

Just now, Michelle said:

So, they don't need to be raised genderless by humans. How would humans force a gender on them to begin with?

They also don't need to know if it's male or female. It's just pr to get people to the zoo. They're just letting the penguin be a penguin.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I wonder if the penguins have an opinion on the matter... 

~

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

They also don't need to know if it's male or female. It's just pr to get people to the zoo. They're just letting the penguin be a penguin.

Good to see you realize that. It does become important due to breeding.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Eldorado said:

Yep, it's just as @Desertrat56 said, only humans will look at the penguin chick as genderless........The same sex penguin "parents" are just going to "raise" the chick - they do not care what gender the chick is.  It's those stupid humans that appear to be making a much bigger deal out of this than the penguins.  Penguins help raise other chicks that are not their own.  It's normal for penguins, they don't care about gender (Watch any David Attenborough doco on them and you'd learn quicksmart!).  Kinda pointless bringing gender into this really?  I feel like this is a bit wacko. LOL :lol:  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

Isn't that the weirdest way of doing PR though?  Penguins are community oriented and help each other out, especially if one penguin ends up with 2 chicks etc etc, they have adopted mothers/fathers, the whole community of penguins jump in and help raise all chicks to ensure survival.  I just went and saw the fairy penguins down here near Melbourne on Monday evening actually - they're sooooo cute :wub:   Waddling out of the ocean at night, making their way up to their nests in groups....gosh it was amazing! :D   

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Michelle said:

Good to see you realize that. It does become important due to breeding.

Yes, and when it is sexually mature it will be easy to tell if it is male or female. This is literally all in the article

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gwynbleidd said:

Isn't that the weirdest way of doing PR though? 

We're all talking about the penguins at the London aquarium, aren't we?

3 minutes ago, Gwynbleidd said:

Penguins are community oriented and help each other out, especially if one penguin ends up with 2 chicks etc etc, they have adopted mothers/fathers, the whole community of penguins jump in and help raise all chicks to ensure survival.  I just went and saw the fairy penguins down here near Melbourne on Monday evening actually - they're sooooo cute :wub:   Waddling out of the ocean at night, making their way up to their nests in groups....gosh it was amazing! :D   

Penguins are great animals

Image result for funny penguin gifs

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

We're all talking about the penguins at the London aquarium, aren't we?

I was just raving about penguins in general - I just love em! :D 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I remember watching one of those kids movies on penguins when my boys were younger - and it was so good!  It was about the emperor penguins in Antarctica - I just went to find a pic of the penguin chicks to post and came across this article :(  https://www.livescience.com/65339-emperor-penguin-chicks-drowning.html  Sadly, the chicks were drowning - that little chick in the London aquarium is lucky in comparison.

images.jpg

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, darkmoonlady said:

Does no one bother to read the article? Oh no let's get irritated and make nasty comments before knowing the whole story. 

This species of penguin does not have easily defined sex characteristics. It takes a physician exam to even tell them apart. It's more in keeping with the species to not define gender as males and females behaviors don't define them either. 

It has a gender, they’re just not telling us what it is. They probably would have examined/tested it as per normal procedure and do know.

What happened to the father penguin?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Timothy said:

What happened to the father penguin?

He divorced the female penguin when he found out she was having an affair with the other female penguin. :D  

• Haha 5
  • Sad 1