Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mothers arrested over Childcare scam

Eldorado

"NSW Police say as many as 100 childcare fraud syndicates are operating across Sydney, scamming taxpayers out of up to $750 million a year.

"Acting Assistant Commissioner Stuart Smith made the extraordinary revelation while addressing the media on Thursday afternoon, after police charged an additional 22 people over an elaborate syndicate that is alleged to have raked in nearly $4 million.

"“Investigators have now charged 39 people involved in this syndicate and more arrests are expected,” Mr Smith told reporters."

Full report News dot com Aus: https://www.news.com.au/finance/business/other-industries/more-arrests-over-red-roses-family-day-care-scam/news-story/f0a0bc38bcbc5dd24e8fc27b0b288a80

"A woman wearing an Adidas hoodie and covering her face with a headscarf yelled and swore at police as she was arrested for allegedly partaking in an extraordinary childcare scam.

"The mother was among close to two dozen women and a man who were arrested this week over an alleged 'fake day care centre' plot in south-west Sydney."

UK Daily Mail version: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7454573/Dozens-mothers-arrested-fake-day-care-plot-Sydney.html

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 1

What a bunch of sneaky cows :o   I hope they throw the book at these twits.  

A 41-year-old Georges Hall woman was charged with knowingly directing activities of criminal group.

I used to live in Georges Hall in 2001 - At first I wondered if those women were faking being muslims, or were they just trying to hide their identity.  But Georges Hall is packed with a mix of Aussies, Italians and Lebanese and it's right next door to Bankstown.  (Obviously it's 18 years later so who knows who lives there now ;))  But after reading the leader of the group was from Georges Hall, I'd assume she's Muslim so the scarf would be legit. 

But that said....wow, I mean just wow.  Wouldn't you love for someone that talks like this, to be looking after your kids right?

“Get that away from my face,” the woman yells, giving the middle finger to a cameraman as she is taken into Bankstown police station.

“You’re going to get my finger up your ****ing ass, you ****ing ******, **** off.”

What a class act.  /sarcasm.

Some people just have no morals whatsoever - I got robbed in a Spotlight store, I was previously so badly injured I was in a wheelchair and a woman with a headscarf like this woman, along with her 3 kids under the age of 6 stole my purse and phone.  I don't hate Muslims though - I know there's a lot of hatred towards them, but not all are like this.  I have a very close friend who's a Muslim TV Personality and she's a gorgeous person all round.  She was disgusted when she found out what had happened to me and put a call out to the Melbourne Muslim community with a description of the woman to try to help me.  

I just hate people who are scammers.  I shouldn't use the word hate.  But the word dislike seems too soft in this case.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, aztek said:

so what exactly did they do? operated daycare without license?

It’s alleged parents and carers handed over their children’s details, including their Centrelink Customer Reference Number, in exchange for cash.

It said it provided “safe, nurturing and loving” care to more than 450 children but, police allege there were no real children, just photographs of them.

Play areas had been mocked up, timesheets faked and rosters fixed.

Police allege the syndicate went as far as to have children brought in during government inspections.

“These CRNS existed — they were real kids. These were provided to the syndicate which were put in and allowed them to collect a large amount of money.”

Centrelink is the Commonwealth or Federal department that looks after social security.  Childcare is subsidised.  These people were claiming the subsidy from the government for kids they weren't really caring for.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Golden Duck said:

Centrelink is the Commonwealth or Federal department that looks after social security.  Childcare is subsidised.  These people were claiming the subsidy from the government for kids they weren't really caring for.

@Aztec it's those types of people who rip off the govt with elaborate scams to get money.  It sounds like they actually went to the trouble of bringing kids into a centre only when they had an inspection.  The rest of the time, it was just pocketing the money from the govt.  It said one of them was getting 22k per week at one stage :o  Like wth? People irritate me that do this crap. 

• Like 2