Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Trump plans ban on sale of flavoured e-cigs

Still Waters

US President Donald Trump has announced that his administration will ban flavoured e-cigarettes, after a spate of vaping-related deaths.

Mr Trump told reporters vaping was a "new problem", especially for children.

US Health Secretary Alex Azar said the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) would finalise a plan to take all non-tobacco flavours off the market.

There have been six deaths and 450 reported cases of lung illness tied to vaping across 33 states.

Many of the 450 reported cases are young people, with an average age of 19.

Michigan this month became the first US state to ban flavoured e-cigarettes.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-49667688

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Dang... I bet that sucks for a lot of people... 

~

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, third_eye said:

Dang... I bet that sucks for a lot of people... 

We must distract from the dangers of that completely useless redneck cuddle toy, the AR-15... ....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Not a bad idea?   I think an even better idea might be to raise the National legal age for any nicotine purchase and use to 21?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Lol

Now I can watch as liberals who tend to support tough public health laws against tobacoo say how this is a horrible thing for Trump to do,

And conservatives who are normally against the government telling people what they can and can't do decide this is a reasonable and great decisions by Trump. 

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, lightly said:

Not a bad idea?   I think an even better idea might be to raise the National legal age for any nicotine purchase and use to 21?

yea, boost fake id business,

• Haha 1

So the deaths have happened as a result of cheap, non-regulated blackmarket products, but the 'solution' appears to be to put the entire market into the hands of criminals. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

So the deaths have happened as a result of cheap, non-regulated blackmarket products, but the 'solution' appears to be to put the entire market into the hands of criminals. 

why not? it seems to be the avenue they take with guns,   yes i agree it makes little sense. both of these

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lightly said:

Im am suprised by this news, because the age is 21 and most flavoured tobacco already is banned here. I guess it's just California. my boss already did this on a local level its not suprising if they are following suit nationally.

Even more suprising that people talk crap about california being liberals, liberals hating this and yet we have already been using these laws for some time....

Edited by Nnicolette
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, aztek said:

yea, boost fake id business,

Ok.    Nothing works perfectly ?    What might you suggest? 

Ooop Nnicolette, I didn't realize the legal age for nicotine purchase is already 21...in California.

i'm guessing...it's lower in many states?

Edited by lightly

8 minutes ago, lightly said:

regulate industry.  same way cigs and alcohol is regulated, that is all, cuz if you do not, you inviting black market to take over, simple reality of our world. 

btw it is 21 in nyc as well, yet i see school kids vape, smoke cigs, as soon as they get out of school, at 3pm.  so age limit sure works, not.

• Like 1

I just don't have the 'ban it' mentality. I just don't. Now if you're banning something that's ruining people's lives, like heroin, that's different. Can the effect of these juices have direct effect on someone's given mortality? Besides, you're going to have a blackmartet with anything as big as vaping. You'll have undercut product, gray area legality, etc. That's just an effect of the free market, there's no getting around it. Something as blanket as 'ban flavored juices' is moronic. 

• Thanks 1

FDA Warning Letter to CEO of JUUL Labs on 09SEP (US biggest manufacturer of e-zigs) here.

Related FDA press release here.

Edited by toast
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BrooklynGuy said:

My Doctor told me that vaping is as bad or worse than smoking because the flavors they add cause lung disease just like people who work in bakeries and popcorn factories.

https://www.webmd.com/lung/popcorn-lung#1

Your doctor is an idiot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

31 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

Your doctor is an idiot.

Why? Because tobacco companies disagree with him lol

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

Lol

Now I can watch as liberals who tend to support tough public health laws against tobacoo say how this is a horrible thing for Trump to do,

And conservatives who are normally against the government telling people what they can and can't do decide this is a reasonable and great decisions by Trump. 

Yeah.  When I saw this, I thought to myself, "Isn't this how a Democrat would solve the problem?" 

• Like 1

So, I have a question...

Is this a legitimate public health concern? (Individual health)

Edit: My opinion is that I think it is, but I don't know.

Edited by pallidin

43 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

Yeah.  When I saw this, I thought to myself, "Isn't this how a Democrat would solve the problem?" 

the difference is democrats do it to our constitutional right,  he does not. 

4 hours ago, lightly said:

Ooop Nnicolette, I didn't realize the legal age for nicotine purchase is already 21...in California.

i'm guessing...it's lower in many states?

It seems to be the new trend.

My state of Ohio raised it to 21 about a year ago. The cities were raising here before the state did. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, aztek said:

the difference is democrats do it to our constitutional right,  he does not. 

Republicans don't believe in regulations or banning they believe in personal accountability and free market forces to curb a bad product.  At least they used to.

Banning e-cigs because they are bad for society is the same as banning straws.

I don't disagree with Trump for banning e-cigs- I just think it is weird that he is solving the issue the same way as Democrats do.

2 hours ago, Gromdor said:

Republicans don't believe in regulations or banning they believe in personal accountability and free market forces to curb a bad product.  At least they used to.

Banning e-cigs because they are bad for society is the same as banning straws.

I don't disagree with Trump for banning e-cigs- I just think it is weird that he is solving the issue the same way as Democrats do.

Well, not all is lost with Donny. I would like to see other Countries doing the same or even goung further-ban all smoking and ban the production of cigs. 

I think it will end up being one of the brands that is causing it.. e cigs have been around for 10 years now.. and its only in the last 6 months has the spate been happening.. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Still Waters said:

US President Donald Trump has announced that his administration will ban flavoured e-cigarettes, after a spate of vaping-related deaths.

9 out of 10 drug dealers agree with this.

And how is that drug war going these days? Is America winning yet?

Mixed feelings. I told md I started vaping (juice without nicotine) she replied I was better off smoking cigarettes. Was she misinformed? Wrong? I really dont know. I've heard from friends who switched to vaping they feel 10x's better, breath easier. However I'm very skeptical about the long term effects of vaping (results after 20-30yrs) I do have conservative views but im suspicious of trump's intentions here..along w my gov. (tax king) tom wolfe who put thru 30% tax increase on vape products..someone got a fat check.

Edited by Bed of chaos
  • Like 1