Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

SCOTUS backs Trump on asylum seekers

OverSword

Can't say I agree with this decision.  

The Supreme Court on Wednesday allowed the Trump administration to bar most Central American migrants from seeking asylum in the United States, while the legal fight plays out in the courts.

The Supreme Court, in a brief, unsigned order, said the administration may enforce new rules that generally forbid asylum applications from migrants who have traveled through another country on their way to the United States without being denied asylum in that country.

Link

• Thanks 2

Eh, it's a ruling on procedure.  It sucks for refugees and asylum seekers but it is still playing out in the lower courts.

Trump does seem to be making great inroads at limiting legal immigration.  Cutting back on the number of refugees allowed in, making it harder for them to come legally, slow walking the process, punishing legal immigrants if they use benefits, etc.  Heck, he even started a "Denaturalization Task force" to strip naturalized citizens of their citizenship: https://www.vox.com/2018/7/18/17561538/denaturalization-citizenship-task-force-janus

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gromdor said:

he even started a "Denaturalization Task force" to strip naturalized citizens of their citizenship

2 hours ago, OverSword said:

forbid asylum applications from migrants who have traveled through another country on their way to the United States without being denied asylum in that country.

Can we start with the Mayflower descendants? They found perfectly good asylum in the Netherlands but still came here illegally. They need to be sent back there. :yes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Having 100+ thousand people coming into this country EVERY MONTH is ridiculous, even if it were done legally.  There has never been a nation that simply allowed their borders to be ignored AND attempted to fund a generous welfare state for its residents.  Anyone that can't understand the potential physical dangers this risks should at least be able to do the math for heaven sake.  Those who support effectively open borders seem to me to either be naive and well meaning, maybe a little child-like, OR they have an altogether different motivation that isn't well-meaning at all.

Those who dispute this should give me reason to be hopeful about this influx of mostly unskilled, uneducated and more often than not unfriendly (to our laws at least) people into our towns, cities, schools and hospitals.  

I'm willing to listen.

10 minutes ago, Piney said:

Can we start with the Mayflower descendants? They found perfectly good asylum in the Netherlands but still came here illegally. They need to be sent back there. :yes:

Hey, can they help it if their dumb kids screwed it up?

• Haha 1

If you’ve ever known an asylum seeker or an immigrant from war who fled with the clothing on their back then you will understand the possible difficulties in holding on to documents proving you’ve been denied asylum.  That’s the difficulty I’m having with this.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, OverSword said:

If you’ve ever known an asylum seeker or an immigrant from war who fled with the clothing on their back then you will understand the possible difficulties in holding on to documents proving you’ve been denied asylum.  That’s the difficulty I’m having with this.

Or like the Bahamians that had all their stuff destroyed in a hurricane?

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

That’s simply disgraceful.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, OverSword said:

I actually CAN understand the kind of chaos that such a situation would create.  I also, believe it or not, have compassion for suffering people who are trying to escape bad situations.  That kind of emotional response is not only human, it is required if we are going to retain our humanity.  At the same time, can you name another nation, at any time or place in history, that has done more for people in these situations?  Can you look beyond the emotion to the stark reality of what our government - BOTH parties - are not just allowing but are expediting?  When our borders essentially cease to exist and anyone who can step over is able to ask for help, how long do you think it will be before that "help" is no longer available?

Remember this oldy from Sociology 101?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tragedy_of_the_commons

You are obviously an intelligent,compassionate person.  You cannot possibly believe that the resources of this nation are endless.  The numbers really don't lie here.  MOST of these people are essentially unemployable and the great majority have no high-value skill sets to bring to the market.  That makes them dependent for years.  The next generation may well be productive but we are 22 T in debt NOW.  

I am not an ogre nor am I a person who turns up the nose at non-whites.  I guess some here (hopefully not you) would casually label me as exactly that but it wouldn't make it true.  I just happen to still love my country and when I see politicians openly attempting to divide us and weaken the foundations of this nation it makes me angry and sad.  

• Like 3

10 hours ago, OverSword said:

yea that sucks, however we just can't take anyone's word.  i heard canada and EU do.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Gromdor said:

more reasons for them to stay and rebuild,   it is pretty much certainty, those who come here will not leave regardless what is going on back home. that is the lesson we learned from haiti disaster, and yes trump is absolutely right criminal elements will come here, 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, aztek said:

more reasons for them to stay and rebuild,   it is pretty much certainty, those who come here will not leave regardless what is going on back home. that is the lesson we learned from haiti disaster, and yes trump is absolutely right criminal elements will come here, 

We are blocking good elements as well.  But I guess in the end of the day people are a renewable resource so there is no reason to care about any given one.  I'm hoping the attitude doesn't extend to citizens on Social Security later on.  I mean they had their whole life to set up for their future, right?  Now they can't work and rely solely on the tax payer and government.  Refugees at least have time on their side to succeed.

12 hours ago, Piney said:

I volunteer as tribute!

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

We are blocking good elements as well.  

it's ok we  have plenty of good elements already here..  trump is an american president, so america is his priority,  and he is doing exactly that.

if your house was destroyed, would you run to another country or stay and rebuild?

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, aztek said:

yea that sucks, however we just can't take anyone's word.  i heard canada and EU do.

Maybe we should bus them all up to the Canadian border to apply for asylum.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Maybe we should bus them all up to the Canadian border to apply for asylum.

or we can do nothing of the sort, and let Canada bring refugees themselves by ships or planes. 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, OverSword said:

The Supreme Court on Wednesday allowed the Trump administration to bar most Central American migrants from seeking asylum in the United States, while the legal fight plays out in the courts.

The Supreme Court, in a brief, unsigned order, said the administration may enforce new rules that generally forbid asylum applications from migrants who have traveled through another country on their way to the United States without being denied asylum in that country.

Well, GOOD. The supreme court have - in a nutshell - upheld the meaning of the text of the  international "Sanctuary" law. 

Refugees SHOULD apply to the first 'safe' country they reach, and NOT go on a "shopping spree" by crossing such countries first, in order to reach a (perceived) superior country. 

This is a blow for common sense. No doubt the "progressives" will despise it as a consequence. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They didn't approve anything. They overrode any lower court injunction until they, themselves, issue a ruling on the issue.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aztek said:

if your house was destroyed, would you run to another country or stay and rebuild?

That's just it.  No one will stay and rebuild if the root cause for their homes and lively hood being destroyed remains.  It's the base reason why so many are fleeing their countries and fleeing to others. (Granted, I do know a few stubborn people that insist on building over and over on flood plains, but they are the exception rather than the rule.)

2 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

That's just it.  No one will stay and rebuild if the root cause for their homes and lively hood being destroyed remains.  It's the base reason why so many are fleeing their countries and fleeing to others. (Granted, I do know a few stubborn people that insist on building over and over on flood plains, but they are the exception rather than the rule.)

lamo,  lame excuse, they most certainly will rebuild, just like every single place that suffers natural disaster does every single time,  except those where corruption is so rampant funds are stolen the second they come it, like Haiti and PR.  

so what do you suggest? abandon the island and move everyone to usa? well they can file papers at american embassy, and it will be processed, according to our immigration  laws, 

42 minutes ago, aztek said:

lamo,  lame excuse, they most certainly will rebuild, just like every single place that suffers natural disaster does every single time,  except those where corruption is so rampant funds are stolen the second they come it, like Haiti and PR.  

so what do you suggest? abandon the island and move everyone to usa? well they can file papers at american embassy, and it will be processed, according to our immigration  laws, 

Aren't you the same guy that just said the people from Haiti didn't rebuild but instead stayed in the US?  You are kind of giving cross messages here.

If they are going to do it, they better do it fast.  Hurricane season just started.  50 dead and 1000 missing when they had buildings to stay in.  I imagine it would be much worse if a second storm hit them.   Can't file for asylum at the American Embassy btw.  Have to do it from American soil.  According to our immigration laws.

4 hours ago, aztek said:

13 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

Aren't you the same guy that just said the people from Haiti didn't rebuild but instead stayed in the US?  You are kind of giving cross messages here.

yep, i'm the guy, nothing contradicting here,  majority of Haiti is still in ruins, most of it, and money are gone,   yes many came to USA as refugees due to special status after disaster,  and never went back,  there is about 60k still here that came after disaster,  it does not mean every single Haiti resident came here and stayed,

Edited by aztek

On 9/12/2019 at 7:42 PM, and then said:

I am not an ogre nor am I a person who turns up the nose at non-whites.  I guess some here (hopefully not you) would casually label me as exactly that but it wouldn't make it true.  I just happen to still love my country and when I see politicians openly attempting to divide us and weaken the foundations of this nation it makes me angry and sad.  

I've had people here on UM do that. I've said, "Can we simply uphold the existing laws", and got back, "racist!".

It is way easy to cast that aspiration these days. The burden of proof is set so low it is ridiculous. 

• Thanks 1