Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Magicians

brian100

6 minutes ago, brian100 said:

First off where is the trap door?

I don't know. I'm not a magician. But that doesn't matter. We've pointed out numerous times how many of these tricks are done. Why can't you accept that this is just another trick? (And saying you don't understand how it could be done is not an answer!)

Edited by Peter B
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Peter B said:

So, just because you can't work out how the trick was done, it must be real paranormal stuff? Please consider the alternative explanation: that you don't know everything about sleight-of-hand and misdirection.

You're not even watching the trick. I can tell. You're just heckling me without even watching.

copper1.jpg

copper2.jpg

copper3 (2).jpg

8 minutes ago, Peter B said:

I don't know. I'm not a magician. But that doesn't matter. We've pointed out numerous times how many of these tricks are done. Why can't you accept that this is just another trick? (And saying you don't understand how it could be done is not an answer!)

No no... its obvious some people have more help.

24 minutes ago, brian100 said:

You're not even watching the trick. I can tell. You're just heckling me without even watching.

copper1.jpg

copper2.jpg

copper3 (2).jpg

LOL!

That's like accusing me of saying I couldn't possibly know a bicycle has two wheels unless I watch it go past.

He's a magician. He does tricks. Your inability to work out how the tricks are done means only that you haven't yet (a) been told or (b) worked it out for yourself.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, brian100 said:

No no... its obvious some people have more help.

Obvious to you, maybe. Not to Penn and Teller. Go and watch some episodes of "Fool Us".

David Copperfield twitched his nose and the jacket went on him.. I know that trick. Its called Hocus Pocus, and see how easy that was?  I'm glad this is settled.

Edited by brian100
typo

4 hours ago, brian100 said:

So how did he do it and please do not say again to go look how its done.

As I said in post #76 up there ^, I don't know - I'm not a magician.

Look, I understand, you believe that "real" magic exists. Fine. Maybe it does. But that doesn't mean David Copperfield uses it. As I've pointed out several times, you've been shown that several magic tricks you thought were "real" were actually just sleight-of-hand and misdirection. Isn't the simplest explanation that all of Copperfield's other tricks are just sleight-of-hand and misdirection tricks, too?

But if you re-e-e-e-eally need an explanation, here's something to think about regarding the Hawaii teleport illusion...One of those How-To videos linked earlier in this thread explained how Penn & Teller do the catching-a-bullet-in-your-mouth trick. One part of the trick involves people from the audience writing something on the bullet before it's fired, and the bullet is then held up to the camera. Well, I noticed that in the Hawaii teleport trick, letters are written on Copperfield's arm, and he then holds his arm up to the camera. There's an intriguing similarity about those actions. Is it significant or relevant? I genuinely don't know. But it's something to think about.

One thing I do know about magic is that for simpler tricks there are often several ways of doing them - all sleight-of-hand. So even if I correctly explain one way of doing it, for all I know he used another

4 hours ago, brian100 said:

David Copperfield twitched his nose and the jacket went on him.. I know that trick. Its called Hocus Pocus, and see how easy that was?  I'm glad this is settled.

Regarding the jacket trick, consider that before the trick, Copperfield is wearing a black top with a high neckline. With low lighting you'd never see if the top was made of separate pieces held together with velcro, and a second jacket worn beneath. As for the knots supposedly tying him up, who were the people tying them? Note the way his hands are positioned: if he genuinely wanted his hands tied up, why not tied together in front of him? Tied up the way they are on the video, you can't actually see them clearly...

So, there are some genuine speculations about how Copperfield might have performed those tricks. Am I on the right track? I have no idea - I've never been to Magic School. Are you now a little more willing to entertain the idea that even these tricks are just...tricks?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, brian100 said:

copper1.jpg

David Copperfield is the world's worst stage magician.  He literally has only 1 trick, and it's a terrible trick, but people haven't cottoned on to it.  The way he does the magic is that they literally stop rolling the tape and allow him to change things.  If there is an audience, they are all paid shills.  Anyone who is a David Copperfield fan should seriously reconsider their position.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Alchopwn said:

He literally has only 1 trick

No, no. He has another one. He's remarkable at making sexual assaults disappear. :) 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

This conversation reminds me of that story in Carl Sagan's book called "A Demon Haunted World" and in it is a story about a person (much like the OP) claiming to their friend that they have a dragon in their garage so the friend goes to see the dragon but, lo and behold, the dragon is conveniently invisible so the friend suggests test after test to verify the validity of the claimants assertions yet, conveniently enough (again) no matter what test is proposed the claimant always has some reason as to why none of the tests will work until the claimant gets angry and demands that he be believed and be asked to perform any tests to verify or dismiss any said claims.

In this world we have become far more educated and skeptical and learned to question things (or should have anyways) and not resort to the old "It's magic/ghosts/god/demons/hamsters/Micheal Jackson, etc".

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Peter B said:

As I said in post #76 up there ^, I don't know - I'm not a magician.

Look, I understand, you believe that "real" magic exists.

Regarding the jacket trick, consider that before the trick, Copperfield is wearing a black top with a high neckline. With low lighting you'd never see if the top was made of separate pieces held together with velcro, and a second jacket worn beneath. As for the knots supposedly tying him up, who were the people tying them? Note the way his hands are positioned: if he genuinely wanted his hands tied up, why not tied together in front of him? Tied up the way they are on the video, you can't actually see them clearly...

Look at the rope around his neck.

Plus this is in front of a live audience at one of his shows so there is no cutting out and saying oh let me go get a gray jacket to fool everyone.

1 hour ago, brian100 said:

Look at the rope around his neck.

Plus this is in front of a live audience at one of his shows so there is no cutting out and saying oh let me go get a gray jacket to fool everyone.

Yeah, I've had another look, and I may be wrong about it. However, I'd like to point out that quick costume changes are a fairly common magic trick, and it took very little time to Google some possible (mundane) explanations, one of them pretty close to what I described.

As for whether the video was shot in front of a live audience, that was Alchopwn's claim, so you might like to take that up with him rather than me. In any case, everything I've read suggests there's nothing particularly tricky about doing this trick in front of a live audience.

Finally, going back to the Hawaii teleport trick, here are some questions you might like to ponder. 1. How exactly is it established that the other location is Hawaii? 2. Why doesn't the "Hawaii" location camera pan around to show us more of the locale? 3. How similar are the letters "TS" drawn by the audience member to the "TS" we see on the "Hawaii" location? 4. Why don't Copperfield and his travelling companion leave the vicinity of where they appear in "Hawaii", for example to go down to the beach? 5. Is the lighting at the "Hawaii" location consistent with sunlight in a tropical location?

I went ahead and counted the seconds it took for Copperfield once he yanked the jacket from his tied up chair. It was 2 seconds. No way he could put that on in that little amount of time. Put your jacket on and count the seconds.

Just standing up is 2 seconds.

And in the final photo his hair is messed up, so something happened. His left hand is in a different position, too. He went from sinister smirk to I swallowed the canary!  But he does have a total of 6 seconds from the time they raised the curtain to put on the 2nd jacket. And being tied up removes those 6 seconds.  So the question is was he really tied up? His arms would have to be fake bonds. I've also counted 9 seconds to get his arms free during the rag and papers tossing scene.

So there would have to be a secret compartment behind the curtain to store the 2 jacket.

So that's the trick.

Edited by brian100
add more

But there is still no time to throw a bunch of papers and linens b/c hes still tied up.  Something is wrong. I tried to look to see if the curtain moved when they raised it for the secret compartment but I saw no wiggle. And then there is the Prostitiu&*^%6e arms grabbing him scene. I counted 3 or 4 people in there. Too fast to hide 4 people.

Edited by brian100

20 hours ago, Peter B said:

So, there are some genuine speculations about how Copperfield might have performed those tricks. Am I on the right track? I have no idea - I've never been to Magic School. Are you now a little more willing to entertain the idea that even these tricks are just...tricks?

No, he literally stops the camera and puts the jacket on, then starts the camera, and just edits the video footage well.  Copperfield is the worst sort of hack.  I'm sorry to say that I have the inside scoop on him, as I got interested when he made a Jumbo Jet disappear, so I investigated.  Count me severely disappointed.

Edited by Alchopwn

17 minutes ago, Alchopwn said:

No, he literally stops the camera and puts the jacket on, then starts the camera, and just edits the video footage well.  Copperfield is the worst sort of hack.  I'm sorry to say that I have the inside scoop on him, as I got interested when he made a Jumbo Jet disappear, so I investigated.  Count me severely disappointed.

I'm sure nobody would go to his shows. He's like the most famous magician ever, and I saw no commercial break when watching this.

Edited by brian100

46 minutes ago, Alchopwn said:

Yeah..meto I'm disappointed there is a big crowd here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70U2yybKhKg

17 hours ago, Bendy Demon said:

"It's magic/ghosts/god/demons/hamsters/Micheal Jackson, etc".

That one's real. You only have to look in the mirror and say "Shamon" 3 times and 'El Hee Hee' will appear. Scary stuff indeed. 

On 9/18/2019 at 4:24 PM, brian100 said:

I went ahead and counted the seconds it took for Copperfield once he yanked the jacket from his tied up chair. It was 2 seconds. No way he could put that on in that little amount of time. Put your jacket on and count the seconds.

Just standing up is 2 seconds.

And in the final photo his hair is messed up, so something happened. His left hand is in a different position, too. He went from sinister smirk to I swallowed the canary!  But he does have a total of 6 seconds from the time they raised the curtain to put on the 2nd jacket. And being tied up removes those 6 seconds.  So the question is was he really tied up? His arms would have to be fake bonds. I've also counted 9 seconds to get his arms free during the rag and papers tossing scene.

So there would have to be a secret compartment behind the curtain to store the 2 jacket.

So that's the trick.

You've counted 9 seconds, fine. But why do you assume those 9 seconds are used by Copperfield to do anything other than sit there while either machinery or crew flick the rags and papers?

On 9/18/2019 at 5:34 PM, brian100 said:

But there is still no time to throw a bunch of papers and linens b/c hes still tied up.  Something is wrong. I tried to look to see if the curtain moved when they raised it for the secret compartment but I saw no wiggle. And then there is the Prostitiu&*^%6e arms grabbing him scene. I counted 3 or 4 people in there. Too fast to hide 4 people.

Why would there be any wiggle?

Do you think Copperfield and his crew don't check stuff like this before they include it in a show? It's called rehearsal.

There are plenty of ways for those rags and papers to be flung about without Copperfield or anything supernatural having to lift a finger.

Please stop going straight for the paranormal explanation when you can't work out a mundane explanation.

On 9/18/2019 at 4:15 PM, brian100 said:

Tied to a chair.

copper4.jpg

How tied to a chair? And when?

Seriously, watch the video again.

In what way is he tied to the chair? Sure, his ankles are tied to the chair legs, but how is the rest of him tied to the chair?

And please give me the timecount for when he's actually tied to the chair. In the video, at one moment he's standing and being tied up, and in the next frame he's sitting in the chair. Are there frames I'm missing?

Also, what are those frames (the rectangular one to the right and the oval one to the left)?

What exactly is stopping him from standing up and having people behind the "wall" place the jacket on him, then sitting down again. After all, the people lifting up the sheet to hide him can keep the sheet up as long as needed, until he's sitting down again.