Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Magicians

brian100

On 9/19/2019 at 8:35 PM, Peter B said:

You've counted 9 seconds, fine. But why do you assume those 9 seconds are used by Copperfield to do anything other than sit there while either machinery or crew flick the rags and papers?

I count 2 seconds just to stand up from any positions.. and 6 seconds to throw some papers, but no seconds to get out of the enclosure. His flying routine was the trick of the century.

9 hours ago, brian100 said:

I count 2 seconds just to stand up from any positions.. and 6 seconds to throw some papers, but no seconds to get out of the enclosure. His flying routine was the trick of the century.

Okay, what are you talking about? You seem to be mixing up about three tricks into one - the "ghosts throwing things" trick, the "putting on the jacket" trick and the flying routine.

1. The "ghosts throwing things" trick doesn't require Copperfield to do anything. He just sits there while a machine, an assistant, or a combination of the two just throw or blow very light objects upwards.

2. The "putting on the jacket" trick doesn't require Copperfield to move away from the chair. Seeing as he doesn't appear to be bound to the chair except at the ankles and his arms don't appear to be bound at all, all he needs to do is to stand up while assistants reach through the back "wall" to put the jacket on him, after which he sits down again.

3. The flying routine is done with wires. My guess is it's much the same technology as theatres use for having actors fly above the stage, a.k.a. a Peter Pan rig.

Just now, Peter B said:

Okay, what are you talking about? You seem to be mixing up about three tricks into one - the "ghosts throwing things" trick, the "putting on the jacket" trick and the flying routine.

1. The "ghosts throwing things" trick doesn't require Copperfield to do anything. He just sits there while a machine, an assistant, or a combination of the two just throw or blow very light objects upwards.

2. The "putting on the jacket" trick doesn't require Copperfield to move away from the chair. Seeing as he doesn't appear to be bound to the chair except at the ankles and his arms don't appear to be bound at all, all he needs to do is to stand up while assistants reach through the back "wall" to put the jacket on him, after which he sits down again.

3. The flying routine is done with wires. My guess is it's much the same technology as theatres use for having actors fly above the stage, a.k.a. a Peter Pan rig.

1. where's the machine or assistant hiding?

2. he has 9 seconds to grab the 2nd jacket in a secret pocket in the blanket that hides him. Yes, yes. And when he yanks the jacket down he stuffs it back into the pocket.

3. They put hoops all around him and put him inside a plexiglass box in which he pounded on.. and he still floated... in all directions.

spiritual assistance package. 

On 9/13/2019 at 9:46 PM, Piney said:

Micheal Diamond is a fraud who has not been educated by, or acknowledged by the Catholic Church and he just spouts superstitious trash to try to gather and control a following and make monetary gains.

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Most_Holy_Family_Monastery

http://www.todayscatholicworld.com/hoyle-court-case-most-holy-family-monastery-michael-dimond.pdf

http://www.23rdstreet.com/mhfm/dimond_brothers.aspx

So is the Catholic Church. 

• Thanks 1

No, Diamond is a Sedevacantist which means there's no reining Pope due to Vatican 2.

So, he has good things to say about PJ2.. who in my opinion wrecked the CC.  But Diamond has everyone condemned to hell with his theology, b/c where can you find the real Traditional Catholic Church its no longer around. So listening to him raises other questions.

I'm sure Diamond got duped by these Magicians (90% of them).   But there is still a few questions on how Copperfield did his flying tricks. I'm inclined to write it off as a wire trick even though I saw none. Because I know nobody can fly even with the help of devils.

Brian100 asked:

1. where's the machine or assistant hiding?

Somewhere below and behind the box. How long has there been since the "audience member" checked the room for no trickery? And once other assistants push up the "wall" behind him, how long is there for someone to get into position to help? The "wall" starts to go up at 15:08, and the cloth starts raising at 15:17 - a noticeable wait while Copperfield blathers on, but useful time for an assistant to move into position.

image.png.fcaddf26759fbdccca3cfcb310b814f7.png

2. he has 9 seconds to grab the 2nd jacket in a secret pocket in the blanket that hides him. Yes, yes. And when he yanks the jacket down he stuffs it back into the pocket.

What do you mean? He doesn't grab the jacket hanging over the cloth at the front, that jacket just gets pulled down and covered up by the cloth when it's dropped. My guess is that the jacket he's seen wearing at the end of the trick is a second one his assistants have put on him, standing behind the wall behind him and reaching through the "picture frames", which I assume are capable of being opened. It wouldn't surprise me if the chair itself can be manipulated in some way.

3. They put hoops all around him and put him inside a plexiglass box in which he pounded on.. and he still floated... in all directions.

Hoops: Not if you watch really carefully, around 2:00 to 2:35 in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZS9maIq_Zc

In the first example, neither hoop passes over the top of Copperfield. In the second example, the hoops are twirled around behind him, and then brought forwards underneath him to again twirl in front of him; again neither hoop passes over the top of him; in particular note how the assistants suddenly hurry forwards as the hoops pass Copperfield.

Plexiglass box: We can't see how much space is available between the ends of the lid and box below - presumably enough space for the wires to get into the box. Watch also the way the lid is moved into position - it's held vertically as one assistant passes it to the other, to not get in the way of the wires. As for the person walking over the box, note that they keep their arms close to their body - again out of the way of any wires.

Finally, consider the way Copperfield spins while "levitating": head forwards. He never spins sideways like a propellor or rotates like a spinning ice skater. That is also strongly suggestive of how he's "levitating" - using a Peter Pan rig connected to his hips.

27 minutes ago, brian100 said:

The peter pan guy said he was fooled by D Copperfields act.

Source for this information please.

Anyway, this page explains how it's done: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Copperfield's_flying_illusion (I find it surprising that, after so much being explained to you, you still seem to have trouble finding out this stuff for yourself.)

It also partly explains why you can't see the wire - it's ridiculously thin. The rest of the reason you can't see the wire is the woeful quality of the video. Please remember that the people who create these tricks do manage to remember that they have an audience to fool, so they deliberately set out to use techniques and equipment which is hard to see.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1