Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Can anyone identify this TV show/movie?

Peter B

Hi folks

I was wondering if I could call on the collective wisdom of the...um...collective?

Back in the early 1970s, when my age was...um...in single digits, I saw part of a TV show which intrigued me because it was unlike anything I'd seen before. If I were to guess now I'd say it was in the style of a "Twilight Zone" episode, but I don't know for sure.

Anyway, what I saw was a live-action show (not a cartoon). The bit I saw was a sort of cosmic court case about the fate of humanity, with a prosecution arguing against humanity's survival, and a defence arguing in favour. The part I saw involved the prosecutor talking about how children "these days" are given toys of violence, such as a gun and a dagger; and the defender pointing out that the toy gun played music when you pulled the trigger, and that the toy dagger was actually a pencil case. That's all I remember seeing.

Can anyone identify what show or movie this came from?

Thank you!

5 minutes ago, Peter B said:

Hi folks

I was wondering if I could call on the collective wisdom of the...um...collective?

Back in the early 1970s, when my age was...um...in single digits, I saw part of a TV show which intrigued me because it was unlike anything I'd seen before. If I were to guess now I'd say it was in the style of a "Twilight Zone" episode, but I don't know for sure.

Anyway, what I saw was a live-action show (not a cartoon). The bit I saw was a sort of cosmic court case about the fate of humanity, with a prosecution arguing against humanity's survival, and a defence arguing in favour. The part I saw involved the prosecutor talking about how children "these days" are given toys of violence, such as a gun and a dagger; and the defender pointing out that the toy gun played music when you pulled the trigger, and that the toy dagger was actually a pencil case. That's all I remember seeing.

Can anyone identify what show or movie this came from?

Thank you!

It seems similar to the late 80's Star Trek and Q.  But they did not use toys as an example.

Probably was a Night Gallery or Outer Limits.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Desertrat56 said:

It seems similar to the late 80's Star Trek and Q.  But they did not use toys as an example.

Probably was a Night Gallery or Outer Limits.

It sounded like the first episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation to me also. Q puts the human race on trial but I don't remember toys being used.  It was titled "Farpoint Station". That was in the late 80's though. 

• Like 2

Hi everyone

Thanks for your suggestions.

It definitely wasn't ST:TNG, as I saw this show a good 15 years before that show began. And I've seen enough ST:TOS to know the show I'm describing doesn't fit the feel of that show. 

I've had a look through episode lists of "Night Gallery" and "Outer Limits". They come a lot closer in style to what I saw, but none of the plot summaries seemed to match what I remember seeing.

Thank you anyway!

Cheers

Peter

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Oniomancer said:

There's an older movie with the same plot: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Story_of_Mankind_(film)

If not that, there's a thread here somewhere listing shows like The Twilight Zone, Tales Of The Unexpected for example.

Yes, yes! That's the one!

It's available online, and the scene I remembered came in the last five minutes of the movie.

Thank you, that's brilliant!

(And if I say so myself, not bad for remembering a scene from more than 40 years ago that I've never seen since...)

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/14/2019 at 3:15 AM, Peter B said:

Hi everyone

Thanks for your suggestions.

It definitely wasn't ST:TNG, as I saw this show a good 15 years before that show began. And I've seen enough ST:TOS to know the show I'm describing doesn't fit the feel of that show. 

I've had a look through episode lists of "Night Gallery" and "Outer Limits". They come a lot closer in style to what I saw, but none of the plot summaries seemed to match what I remember seeing.

Thank you anyway!

Cheers

Peter

Could it be Twilight Zone, "A Small Talent for War"?

Woops!  Just saw the the previous post!

Edited by Golden Duck