Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Red Flag Laws and Due Process

and-then

4 minutes ago, and then said:

I have a degenerative spine condition that has put me on a surgeon's table 4 times already and I have another upcoming in a week or so. 

Hoping all goes well...good luck! :tu:

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, and then said:

The only predators around here are drunks, meth-heads and the occasional juiced up redneck ;)   I carry a .45 S&W with 8 rounds just in case I'm forced to plead my case with any of them.  I have a degenerative spine condition that has put me on a surgeon's table 4 times already and I have another upcoming in a week or so.  Even so, the sidearm is an absolute last chance option if I find my life to be in jeopardy.  I carry a blinding flashlight for visibility and I have a pepper spray that is partly a staining gel.  If I ever (God forbid) had to use the pistol, it would only be after someone fired on me first or they kept coming even after catching a face full of pepper spray.  

The potential legal issues aside, it would be a horrible thing to bear, knowing I ended a life.  Even if it was completely justified.

Again, I can only admire you and agree with your well said statement.  Sorry about your spine.  I hope the upcoming surgery is beneficial.  

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Michelle said:

I would never have bars on our windows either, but it is common in the area around our shop. We have an alarm system at our home and the business. We don't have car alarms though. We do have fire extinguishers, which periodically have to be replaced because they expire. I've never used one in my life, but we have them just in case. 

We have a specific tool to shut off the water at the meter to our house. Last year we had a major main break with water spewing 40 feet into the air. It's the only time I had ever had to use it, but I was glad we had it. 

That is the reason we have guns. We hope we never have to use them, but we have them if we need them. It's just another tool.

I'm sorry, I was rambling. What was your point?

I was just answering your question. I see @Gwynbleidd already answered your question, did you only want one?

PS. The flashlights and head torches I own are mainly for squid-fishing.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, and then said:

I have a degenerative spine condition that has put me on a surgeon's table 4 times already and I have another upcoming in a week or so. 

We will do our best to keep you entertained during your recovery.  Oughta be good for a chuckle or two at least.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

I was just answering your question. I see @Gwynbleidd already answered your question, did you only want one?

No, I wanted to know what kind of emergency prep people have on hand.

I was more or less wondering what constitutes an emergency and under what circumstances people thought a fire arm would be beneficial. We all hope people would come together in dire circumstances, but it isn't realistic. There will always be scum.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Michelle said:

I was more or less wondering what constitutes an emergency and under what circumstances people thought a fire arm would be beneficial.

Well, my husband says just as well firearms are banned here, because he knows I'd have shot the neighbour's dog by now for barking incessantly at the freakin' air.  :ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, and then said:

I have a degenerative spine condition that has put me on a surgeon's table 4 times already and I have another upcoming in a week or so.  Even so, the sidearm is an absolute last chance option if I find my life to be in jeopardy.

See, that's the thing...if you feel safer with it, that's fine.  It's not like YOU are one of these people who are running off to take out as many people as you can in some random shopping centre or public place.  You're carrying it purely for your own safety, like Michelle having to carry one when going hiking.  It's a shame people have to resort to carrying a firearm to protect themselves, but in your society, that's what it's come to evidently. Pepper spray is illegal here.  Only Police are able to use it against unruly folk.  It's just not like that here in our everyday society.  I have no doubt it's dangerous in some places in Australia, but I've never lived anywhere where I've felt unsafe thankfully.  :(    

I hope your upcoming surgery goes well, keep us posted if you can. Best wishes to you.  :) 

Edited by Gwynbleidd
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, and then said:

The only predators around here are drunks, meth-heads and the occasional juiced up redneck ;)   I carry a .45 S&W with 8 rounds just in case I'm forced to plead my case with any of them.  I have a degenerative spine condition that has put me on a surgeon's table 4 times already and I have another upcoming in a week or so.  Even so, the sidearm is an absolute last chance option if I find my life to be in jeopardy.  I carry a blinding flashlight for visibility and I have a pepper spray that is partly a staining gel.  If I ever (God forbid) had to use the pistol, it would only be after someone fired on me first or they kept coming even after catching a face full of pepper spray.  

The potential legal issues aside, it would be a horrible thing to bear, knowing I ended a life.  Even if it was completely justified.

I hope your surgery go well, I have the same condition and surgery did not go well for me.

Take care

• Sad 4

24 minutes ago, Gwynbleidd said:

Well, my husband says just as well firearms are banned here, because he knows I'd have shot the neighbour's dog by now for barking incessantly at the freakin' air.  :ph34r:

It's a good thing you don't have a gun. I would consider shooting the owner though...it's not the dogs fault it's crying for attention. <_<

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Gwynbleidd said:

I have no doubt it's dangerous in some places in Australia, but I've never lived anywhere where I've felt unsafe thankfully.

It seems like a lot of times, in the news, people say "things like that don't happen in this neighborhood". You never know where it's going to happen.

We have a great neighborhood e-mail that has caught quite a few miscreants.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Michelle said:

It's a good thing you don't have a gun. I would consider shooting the owner though...it's not the dogs fault it's crying for attention. <_<

Yes we were only laughing about this the other day, when the dog was going crazy because they went overseas for 4 days and left the dog alone and it just barked continuously.  I think even the dog forgot what she was barking at in the end.  I think it's a global problem though this one! ;) Just irks me to no end they buy a dog and never ever take it for a walk or anything.  Just to clarify, I'd never hurt an animal, but you probably already knew that. :lol:  My next solution is I've ordered a whistle that is silent or something, so I can try that instead.  :D :lol: 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Michelle said:

Oh that's a good idea - especially to network with others in the neighbourhood.  We only speak to our neighbours each side and nobody else.  Everyone else kinda sticks to themselves really.  :hmm:

Oh @Michelle another thing other than pepper spray that I wish we had here, is I'd love to have a tazer gun.  :D  Sadly, they're illegal too. But you can buy crossbows and bows and arrows etc.  

Edited by Gwynbleidd
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, brian100 said:

Can you imagine someone coming unglued because he thinks he own the whole block?

You can't catch a first time offender because his record is clean.

Oh hi Brian!  Who came unglued because they thought they owned the whole block? 

And yeah, it'd be much harder to catch a first time offender for sure.  

5 hours ago, Michelle said:

No, I wanted to know what kind of emergency prep people have on hand.

I was more or less wondering what constitutes an emergency and under what circumstances people thought a fire arm would be beneficial. We all hope people would come together in dire circumstances, but it isn't realistic. There will always be scum.

All this is in my cupboard.. 

Full medical kit just short of being a combat surgical kit.. 

important documents in a plastic sleeve 

torches.. a couple of knives.. just the general stuff.. 

now emergency depends on where I live.. either catering for bush fires or cyclones.. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Michelle said:

It seems like a lot of times, in the news, people say "things like that don't happen in this neighborhood". You never know where it's going to happen.

there is a good facebook group for our local suburb.. they are good at letting the group know if there are people wandering about etc.. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Michelle said:

Some dogs are just barkers.  My dog will bark if a leaf falls.  

• Haha 1

All it does is lead to a neighbor watching your neighbors program.

I tried to be a good guy and report someone messing with my neighbors air conditioner b.c the repairman was in plain clothes. So I know you can't trust what you see.

• Like 1

On 9/15/2019 at 6:55 PM, Golden Duck said:

Be careful pal, squids are well armed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 9/16/2019 at 8:18 AM, skliss said:

We use this for examples to our self defense students. Scenarios we can work on for class.

To be fair:

• Like 1

On 9/13/2019 at 10:43 PM, and then said:

So...how would YOU protect the community from a gun wielding nutter while making sure that his right to an assumption of innocence is protected?

I dont think the presumption of innocence precludes the removal of the threat.

If someone called Delta just before a flight launched and said they just did an 8ball of coke with the pilot Delta would remove that pilot from that flight. Not because they think he is guilty but because its not worth the risk of waiting to find out.

As long as the LEO's enforcing the laws have a solid system for the rapid release and return of weapons once a person has been cleared I dont think temporary confiscation under clearly written and defined red flag type laws would be a rights infringement.