Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Big cat 'bigger than a Labrador' spotted

Eldorado

"An elusive big cat that has been spotted across Cambridgeshire for more than 30 years has finally been caught on camera.

"The Fen Tiger became a local legend over the decades - but few people have ever actually been able to snap a picture of the mysterious creature.

"But now it seems the mysterious beast has been caught on camera stalking through a field in Ipswich."

Full tail at the UK Mirror: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/elusive-fen-tiger-bigger-labrador-20060374

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

"An elusive big cat that has been spotted across Cambridgeshire for more than 30 years has finally been caught on camera.

That cat isn't so big. :yes:

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Piney said:

That cat isn't so big. :yes:

I agree. It looks very much like a domestic size cat. But just to be on the safe side, I'm gonna let you stroke it first. I'll wait behind with the chainsaw. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, Stiff said:

I'll wait behind with the chainsaw. 

You'll hurt yourself. :o

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Piney said:

You'll hurt yourself. :o

It's funny because it's true. 

I've actually got stitches in my right knee from a hedge trimmer I was using. lol1.gif

• Haha 3

there is nothing to show scale, video is good but not proof of its size,

i bet pineys saw is bigger :tu:

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, the13bats said:

there is nothing to show scale, video is good but not proof of its size,

From the looks of that winter wheat, it's about 15-20 inches high. The person took the vid low to the ground to make it look higher.

• Like 4

I st the person holding the phone on a trampoline, they are not moving and the cat saint moving and the video is all over the place. 

Domestic cat, is my opinion.

• Like 7

Soft Kitty, Warm Kitty, Little Ball Of Fur, Happy Kitty, Sleepy Kitty, Purr Purr Purr. :cat:

• Haha 5

Aye, Piney has the right of it. I've seen bigger Maine coon cats. Funny how the cat gets bigger as the story progresses from person to person.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

That's quite a "tiger". Are the people of Ipswich so very naive?

I'd agree scale is hard, as those plants all grow to various sizes, and the side of the field could be elevated somewhat.

• Haha 1

Fen tiger legend i read a book all about fen tigers.....they were real there was loads of them in and around the fens back in the day that's what they called those though hardy old fen men 

• Haha 1

I had a mixed siamese cat bigger than that kitty. There's even pictures of him in this site somewhere.

But to be honest, I actually believe it's possible for that furball to be a female wildcat. Contrary to what many people believe, wildcats are not that big, or that different to domestic ones. Hell, most Maine Coons or Norwegian Forest Cats are bigger than female Wildcats. The video is really poor, and as you all said, it looks like the camera was being held by a dwarf with parkinson stumbling up a big slope. But the color matches, the size matches with a female and so does the build. I wouldn't swear it without seeing it's tail, though. And I don't know that much about the habits of Scottish Wildcats, but you won't find a Galician Wildcat just fooling around in a field like that. They are forest animals. It's really difficult to catch them in the open. 

In case you are curious, here's a some trail cam footage of Galician Wildcats.

This one is from a guy I know. You should check his channel out if you are interested in that sort of thing. He has really cool trail cam videos.

And this one is from someone I don't know but it shows a female with a kitten.

My old british tabby was bigger than the ipswich one he was massive,grumpy,a fighter and good at rabbiting and he had an extra toe on each front foot weird

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Matt221 said:

My old british tabby was bigger than the ipswich one he was massive,grumpy,a fighter and good at rabbiting and he had an extra toe on each front foot weird

the extra toes, Polydactyly in cats is likely a sign of inbreeding, the grumpy might have been too, 

• Like 1

Anyone see any way that this cat can be said to be bigger then a labrador breed dog??

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DieChecker said:

Anyone see any way that this cat can be said to be bigger then a labrador breed dog??

Only if it's a little lab or a tall stubble field lol 

• Like 2