Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

34% Pet-owners prefer pet to their own kids

Eldorado

"It's no surprise that our pets quickly become part of the family, but now a new study has revealed that a third of pet owners actually admit to preferring their animals to their own children.

"According to the results by pet food company I And Love And You, 34% of parents prefer their furry friends to their children, saying that their pets are their "favourite child"."

Full report at Country Living UK:  https://www.countryliving.com/uk/wildlife/pets/a29030663/pet-owners-prefer-pets-to-children/

And People mag: https://people.com/pets/parents-prefer-pets-over-kids-survey/

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

People who don't have kids tend to live longer when they have pets. According to one study I read.

• Like 1

My kids are grown and gone with kids of their own. My kitty is my baby now.

• Like 8

17 hours ago, susieice said:

My kids are grown and gone with kids of their own. My kitty is my baby now.

Sweet! :)

Animals are creatures with feelings and we shouldn't have them unless we can love them unconditionally.

• Like 8

Emotions are strong for pets. I still remember the horror when my dog was gone for almost a day. Any place where i heard dog barking i had to check it and since we have problem with stray dogs you can imagine that i got tired of constant 'checking out'.

But i only suspect that emotion for a child would be much much stronger or the same in worst case.

• Like 4

It's sad really isn't it, that many people choose to bring a baby into the world, another human being into the world, and yet in quite a number of these cases [in this study, 34% of pet owners - which must be millions of parents worldwide] can no longer find it in their hearts to put their own child first. It's as if the reality of being a parent didn't really dawn on the person prior to having kids, but when it did they gave up and sort comfort in their pet instead - which is, I guess understandable, but as I said - sad, too. :)

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, zygote_myles said:

It's sad really isn't it, that many people choose to bring a baby into the world, another human being into the world, and yet in quite a number of these cases [in this study, 34% of pet owners - which must be millions of parents worldwide] can no longer find it in their hearts to put their own child first. It's as if the reality of being a parent didn't really dawn on the person prior to having kids, but when it did they gave up and sort comfort in their pet instead - which is, I guess understandable, but as I said - sad, too. :)

I agree, you express what I wanted to post about human children.

I will say this because it's the truth.....

Don't bring a child into the world unless you can love it unconditionally - your child will not be you it will be its own creation!

You will not like everything your child do or doesn't do - but if you brought it into this world, then you should feel love for the creature.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

@LightAngel

Absolutely, I agree 100%. Okay, I'm not a parent myself, but I wouldn't give up on a child, even when the child becomes an adult.

Look at Lionel Dahmer, the father of serial killer Jeffrey Dahmer - stood by his son, stayed in regular contact and visited him in prison. Didn't turn his back on him. Commitment of love. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, zygote_myles said:

@LightAngel

Absolutely, I agree 100%. Okay, I'm not a parent myself, but I wouldn't give up on a child, even when the child becomes an adult.

Look at Lionel Dahmer, the father of serial killer Jeffrey Dahmer - stood by his son, stayed in regular contact and visited him in prison. Didn't turn his back on him. Commitment of love. 

So strange.

I wanted to mention to feel unconditional love even if your child is a serial killer! 

I think you are a kindred spirit.

I'm pleased to meet you, sir. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I need to add something....

If my child was a serial killer then I would fight him/her to the very end!

However, I would never stop loving my own child - even if my child was a monster!

Edit:

But,

If my child was a monster - then I had to protect the world against it and then I would terminate it.

Edited by LightAngel
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@LightAngel

I think, yes, you may have to kill the monster but all monsters were just innocent children once, so that purity of spirit becomes free in death. Then, I believe, when it's our turn to leave this world, you reunite with your loved ones as pure spirits again. I think that's true. The animals are pure spirits and I think that's why - for a lot of people - they're easier to love. 

I'm very pleased to meet you as well, Ma'am. We are kindred spirits. :)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, zygote_myles said:

@LightAngel

I think, yes, you may have to kill the monster but all monsters were just innocent children once, so that purity of spirit becomes free in death. Then, I believe, when it's our turn to leave this world, you reunite with your loved ones as pure spirits again. I think that's true. The animals are pure spirits and I think that's why - for a lot of people - they're easier to love. 

I'm very pleased to meet you as well, Ma'am. We are kindred spirits. :)

*Shake hands* :)

Animals/humans are both pure spirits.

That's why I can't hate any living creature (I don't like the behavior of some creatures, but I still can't feel hate towards them).

• Thanks 2

Yes, it's a good way to be, @LightAngel 

For me, I'm still learning, growing, and on the subject of hate, have recently learned that hating is only poisoning myself and nothing more, so you're right.

I'll try to keep on topic, but also I read recently that there is a man in the US who has an alligator as his emotional support animal to help him through the rough times, the lonely times. I wonder if the man actually has a family, kids, just down the road. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@zygote_myles:

I think alligators belong in nature.

They shouldn't be used for emotional support.

Sorry, but that's how I feel about it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, LightAngel said:

@zygote_myles:

I think alligators belong in nature.

They shouldn't be used for emotional support.

Sorry, but that's how I feel about it.

No need for apologies LightAngel, because, to be honest, I think the same thing about the animals - they should be free, not exploited.

I'm a vegan. Are you a vegan, my friend?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, zygote_myles said:

No need for apologies LightAngel, because, to be honest, I think the same thing about the animals - they should be free, not exploited.

I'm a vegan. Are you a vegan, my friend?

Hmm

Yes, and no.

I eat fish because I know they have been free once (they had a free life)

I'm an "alien" living inside a human body so I need to eat!

So don't judge me. 

Edit:

I call myself an "alien" because I care more than most humans care.

Just needed to make that clear.

It doesn't make me better or worse than other creatures - I'm just different, that's all. :P

Edited by LightAngel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No judgement here, my friend.

I had an account here a few years ago, but I've just returned because I like the diversity of thought. I learn a lot about people, it's quite interesting.

Looking forward to reading more of your views and posts @LightAngel

:st:su

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, zygote_myles said:

No judgement here, my friend.

I had an account here a few years ago, but I've just returned because I like the diversity of thought. I learn a lot about people, it's quite interesting.

Looking forward to reading more of your views and posts @LightAngel

:st:su

Likewise! :D

• Like 2

I used to be somebody's pet, didn't work out too well for either of us, I couldn't learn to do the tricks she wanted quickly enough... 

~

• Haha 2

On 9/15/2019 at 5:40 AM, Eldorado said:

"According to the results by pet food company I And Love And You, 34% of parents prefer their furry friends to their children, saying that their pets are their "favourite child".

Most pets have the intelligence to know when to let you get some sleep, and don't interrupt sex, don't talk back, and are loyal and uncritical of you.  Fur children are better than C*** monkeys (I learned that term in Australia and I still love it).

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Alchopwn said:

Most pets have the intelligence to know when to let you get some sleep, and don't interrupt sex, don't talk back, and are loyal and uncritical of you.  Fur children are better than C*** monkeys (I learned that term in Australia and I still love it).

What pets do you have? Fish? I've had dogs and cats and both had terrible timing in the bedroom. Maybe it's just luck lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Alchopwn said:

As an Aussie, I'm kind of afraid to confirm what that C word is........is it the one I'm thinking of Al? :lol:

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Gwynbleidd said:

As an Aussie, I'm kind of afraid to confirm what that C word is........is it the one I'm thinking of Al? :lol:

I was in a shopping center near Broadmeadows in Melbourne, Australia, looking for an auto shop when I heard a foulmouthed woman tell another woman to "keep her  c*** monkeys under control", when her children were misbehaving in a store.  A priceless memory that still makes me laugh.  Note that it probably isn't "cute", "cash", "crud", or a number of other "c" words, as they don't get auto-censored.

As for your comment GreyDark, have you tried closing the door?

Edited by Alchopwn
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Alchopwn said:

I was in a shopping center near Broadmeadows in Melbourne, Australia, looking for an auto shop when I heard a foulmouthed woman tell another woman to "keep her  c*** monkeys under control", when her children were misbehaving in a store.  A priceless memory that still makes me laugh.  Note that it probably isn't "cute", "cash", "crud", or a number of other "c" words, as they don't get auto-censored.

As for your comment GreyDark, have you tried closing the door?

Oh yes, Aussie's can be known to use that word quite freely.  And I can only imagine in Broadmeadows, which is renowned for being pretty rough, it's probably quite common! :lol:

• Like 1