Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why do we get fat as we age? Lipid turnover

Eldorado

"Many people struggle to keep their weight in check as they get older.

"Now new research has uncovered why that is: lipid turnover in the fat tissue decreases during aging and makes it easier to gain weight, even if we don't eat more or exercise less than before."

Full report at Science Direct: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/09/190909193211.htm

And at the Huff Post: https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/this-is-why-people-gain-weight-as-they-age_uk_5d761711e4b0fde50c2995ea?

"Adipose lipid turnover and long-term changes in body weight"

Research Paper at Nature dot com: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-019-0565-5

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It happens to everyone, but especially to men. After age 35 or so, testosterone levels start dropping. Low testosterone levels are implicated in everything from bad quality of life in general to depression and weight gain from potential loss of muscle mass. I highly recommend any male aged thirty or older to have their hormone levels checked. 

Thyroid output can reduce as we age, as well. Thyroid regulates your metabolism, obviously, and as little as a degree difference in morning rising temperature can mean a 5%+ decrease in basal metabolic rate. Keep your metabolism humming and you can often outrun these symptoms of so called old age. 

Edited by Not Your Huckleberry
  • Like 2

most important thing is not that you gain weight , but where.  if your belly and muffin top grows while the rest of the body is relatively unaffected,  you are at higher risk for  hpb and diabetes.   if you gain weight everywhere equally, the risk is lower,

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aztek said:

most important thing is not that you gain weight , but where.  if your belly and muffin top grows while the rest of the body is relatively unaffected,  you are at higher risk for  hpb and diabetes.   if you gain weight everywhere equally, the risk is lower,

Weight gained mostly in the low back or lower pectoral areas can indicate lower testosterone ratios, as well, as fat placement in those areas also indicates insulin resistance. Chances are, anyone who is not naturally lean is insulin resistant to some degree; higher likelihood in general of eventually becoming diabetic. 

• Like 2

My thyroid went wacky three years ago.  I am of the 10% who gain weight with Graves disease.   I finally decided to completely cut out all processed foods, except one coffee in the morning.  I have last over 25 lbs in 3 months and have been off my thyroid meds for 2.  Foods make a huge difference to keeping our bodies healthy and working properly 

• Like 4

I absolutely love this story ElDorado, it’s mildly amusing, and at the same time, terrifying.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The truth is, some of us are also more susceptible to dopamine addiction than others, likely due to genetic variation. That’s the feel-good chemical released when we eat. We even can build up a tolerance to dopamine, compounding the problem.

When I was younger I didn’t get ant dopamine kick from eating. I practically had to be made to eat, and if I had more than two pieces of pizza, I would be physically ill. As a child, even when I was tired from lack of fuel, I wouldn’t be very hungry.

The good news for me, right now, is the approach of a possible war with Iran, has caused me to begin fasting, something I haven’t done for religious reasons, in many years.

• Like 1