Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"Alien-like" fish caught by angler off Norway

Eldorado

"An angler got the shock of his life when he accidentally reeled in this alien-like monster from the deep.

"Oscar Lundahl nearly jumped out of his fishing boat when he saw the bizarre-looking species with bulbous eyes on the end of his line, The Sun reports.

"The specimen is a ratfish, whose Latin name Chimeras Monstrosa Linnaeus is aptly derived from a Greek mythical monster that had the head of a lion and tail of a dragon.

"The fish — a relative of the shark that dates back 300 million years — live in deep water and are very rarely caught."

Full report at News dot com Aus: https://www.news.com.au/technology/science/animals/fisherman-catches-alien-fish-with-huge-bulbous-eyes-off-norwegian-island/news-story/7bee99e9f22dd336031d40692636c008

"Fisherman gets shock as he reels in 'dinosaur-like' fish with huge eyes"

And at Sky News UK: https://news.sky.com/story/fisherman-gets-shock-as-he-reels-in-dinosaur-like-fish-with-huge-eyes-11811035

Chimaera monstrosa Linnaeus at the World Register of Marine Species: http://www.marinespecies.org/aphia.php?p=taxdetails&id=105824

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Looks like Mesut Ozil.

• Haha 3

Looks like a giant tadpole

• Like 2

Damn how did i miss this part in the article uh oh

“It is a bit like cod but tastier,” he said.''

• Haha 3

The funny thing is that those fish have horrible eye sight - they can barely see.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, LucidElement said:

The funny thing is that those fish have horrible eye sight - they can barely see.

You don't need to see in front of you when your eyes are so big you can see the future.

I've reeled up quite a few of these little beasties off North Vancouver Island. I believe they are called rat fish because of the rat like front teeth. The first time I caught one, I could see the eyes reflecting light twenty feet from the surface. Suffice it to say, I had no inclination to try eating one.

Unlike the article, most of the ratfish I caught and released were in less than a hundred feet of water. They are fairly common on the north west coast.

Edited by Hankenhunter
  • Like 2

On 9/16/2019 at 11:28 AM, ExpandMyMind said:

You don't need to see in front of you when your eyes are so big you can see the future.

Totally kidding - i have no idea how there eye sight is. I was making a terrible joke clearly lol. Far from an optometrist lol.

• Haha 2