Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Church of Scotland sues for share of treasure

Still Waters

The Church of Scotland is suing for a share of a £2m Viking treasure trove which was unearthed on land it owns in Dumfries and Galloway.

Legal action has been filed at the Court of Session in Edinburgh against metal detectorist Derek McLennan, who found the hoard in 2014.

The National Museum of Scotland paid almost £2m for the items, which are due to tour Scotland in the next two years.

The Kirk said it was entitled to an equitable share of the find.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-49707693

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Still Waters said:

From my point of view "Finder's rights". The detectorist had permission from the church and the church never did a study of the area in the first place. Lets not be sore losers here. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Piney said:

Lets not be sore losers here. 

If God had intended it for them to find it, just saying... all they need do was ask nice, never thought of that did they? 

:lol:

~

• Haha 4

The pieces shown are beautiful. Imo the guy did the work, but without the church's permission to dig he wouldn't have found anything... 75/25 split maybe.

• Like 1

On 9/16/2019 at 10:25 AM, Piney said:

From my point of view "Finder's rights". The detectorist had permission from the church and the church never did a study of the area in the first place. Lets not be sore losers here. 

Apparently love of money isn’t much of a problem for the church, whatever Jesus said on the matter. 

—Jaylemurph 

• Thanks 1

I believe the land owners deserve a 50% cut, the reasons being they own the land but more importantly as a metal detectorist we have to seek permission to detect and it doesn't look good when this news goes out, a message could be sent around the church in Scotland to refuse permission to detect on church land with most of it being very historical it would be a great loss, i bet the church already know which roofs they'll be replacing with the money.   

On 9/16/2019 at 2:17 PM, Still Waters said:

The Church of Scotland is suing for a share of a £2m Viking treasure trove which was unearthed on land it owns in Dumfries and Galloway.

Legal action has been filed at the Court of Session in Edinburgh against metal detectorist Derek McLennan, who found the hoard in 2014.

The National Museum of Scotland paid almost £2m for the items, which are due to tour Scotland in the next two years.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-49707693

It looks Anglo Saxon to me, there's a lot of cross over but the brooches look very Saxon, the stylised hawks in the bottom disc brooch are straight out of the Sutton Hoo burial.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, hetrodoxly said:

It looks Anglo Saxon to me, there's a lot of cross over but the brooches look very Saxon, the stylised hawks in the bottom disc brooch are straight out of the Sutton Hoo burial.

Angle Vendel Era. I think that area was Bernicia. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Piney said:

Angle Vendel Era. I think that area was Bernicia. 

It makes more questions than it answers, was there one centre where this art was made or were their craftsmen all over Anglo Saxon Britain? on documentaries about Sutton Hoo treasure (there's a new one out on catch up tv and it's the best i've seen) Jewellers say they couldn't make a lot of the items without modern technology and even then it's difficult, i said hawks on the brooches they're probably Wodens ravens, the description of the find being Viking is probably a political one'

Piney have you read  Bernard Cornwell's the Saxon stories? about Uhtred of Bebbanburg, Bamburgh for none English that's pronounced Bam-ber-a, (don't ask) is the capital of Bernicia.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hetrodoxly said:

Piney have you read  Bernard Cornwell's the Saxon stories? about Uhtred of Bebbanburg, Bamburgh for none English that's pronounced Bam-ber-a, (don't ask) is the capital of Bernicia.

He's was in my Grandfather Jowett's notes and Bamburgh is one of my favorite castles but I haven't read it........ That I remember..

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Piney said:

He's was in my Grandfather Jowett's notes and Bamburgh is one of my favorite castles but I haven't read it........ That I remember..

There's 12 books in the series and they're real page turners, as reference you might have seen 'Sharp' on TV? it was about the Peninsular/Napoleonic wars, he was also the author of that series of books. 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, hetrodoxly said:

There's 12 books in the series and they're real page turners, as reference you might have seen 'Sharp' on TV? it was about the Peninsular/Napoleonic wars, he was also the author of that series of books. 

I think I saw one episode of 'Sharp'. I mainly watch astronomy and paleontology shows and Youtube's worst dreck. But thanks for the heads up. :tu:

• Like 1