Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dead bodies move while decomposing

Kittens Are Jerks

Dead Bodies Keep Moving For More Than a Year After Death, Forensic Scientist Finds

According to new research, the dead may not always rest in peace... quite literally. For more than a year after death, corpses move around "significantly", and this finding could be important for forensic investigations.

https://www.sciencealert.com/the-writhing-dead-turns-out-human-corpses-move-around-quite-a-bit-as-they-decompose

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Piney said:

Somehow I feel this is the perfect thread for you....:unsure2:

Quite possibly although I don't quite see how.

• Haha 1

Interesting.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

Quite possibly although I don't quite see how.

Your K--IT--ty..........

.....The only book that scared the **** out of me. :o

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

According to new research, the dead may not always rest in peace... quite literally. For more than a year after death, corpses move around "significantly"

Yeah they call them zombies.

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Black Red Devil said:

Yeah they call them zombies.

giphy.gif

they perfer to be called the living impaired.

• Like 1

It's probably one of the reasons people came up with the idea of vampires. Bury someone in one position, move them later for some reason and they have changed positions - ancient man goes nuts.

• Like 2

One of my relatives was a grave digger in the 1920's and the story goes that he was digging a family plot to prepare the next coffin down and had to move one of the coffins down there just a bit to allow the next one in.  It was a very old and heavy coffin and he accidentally broke the hinges off the coffin lid when he tried to move it.  He never forgot what he saw.  It was the body of a young woman who had been buried there for nearly a century, and she looked like she was just sleeping, and simply a picture of absolute beauty, and within just a few seconds her body turned to dust and he cried and never got over the image of that young beautiful woman.  Makes me wonder how many bodies down below are preserved perfectly and still look like they are sleeping.  I think it has got something to do with the air which reacts with the body and turns them to dust.

Edited by Aaron2016
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, Aaron2016 said:

One of my relatives was a grave digger in the 1920's and the story goes that he was digging a family plot to prepare the next coffin down and had to move one of the coffins down there just a bit to allow the next one in.  It was a very old and heavy coffin and he accidentally broke the hinges off the coffin lid when he tried to move it.  He never forgot what he saw.  It was the body of a young woman who had been buried there for nearly a century, and she looked like she was just sleeping, and simply a picture of absolute beauty, and within just a few seconds her body turned to dust and he cried and never got over the image of that young beautiful woman.  Makes me wonder how many bodies down below are preserved perfectly and still look like they are sleeping.  I think it has got something to do with the air which reacts with the body and turns them to dust.

That's a nice story but I have trouble with the idea of a 100 year old body just "turning to dust" within seconds. Surely the bones would be left, at least.

Edited by moonman
  • Like 2

How can you move when you're stiff  ;-). it's most likely gasses from the body decomposing.

Edited by Impedancer
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, moonman said:

That's a nice story but I have trouble with the idea of a 100 year old body just "turning to dust" within seconds. Surely the bones would be left, at least.

I think he was referring to her skin and tissue turning to dust.  When I heard the story from my relatives it reminded me of that scene from Indiana Jones 4 when they open up a cocoon and find a preserved body which crumbles into a skeleton within seconds.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Impedancer said:

How can you move when you're stiff  ;-). it's most likely gasses from the body decomposing.

The movement is caused by the mummification of the body and the drying out of ligaments.

• Like 1