Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Xmas Decorations up early makes you Happier

Eldorado

"The Scrooges of our society who groan at the sight of tinsel, even on Christmas day, aren’t as happy as those who get excited for the festive period super early."

"In a world full of stress and anxiety people like to associate to things that make them happy and Christmas decorations evoke those strong feelings of the childhood.

"Decorations are simply an anchor or pathway to those old childhood magical emotions of excitement.

"So putting up those Christmas decorations early extend the excitement! "

Full monty at UniLad UK: https://www.unilad.co.uk/featured/people-who-put-up-christmas-decorations-early-are-happier/

And the UK Mirror: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/putting-christmas-decorations-up-early-20063338

• Like 5

I think there has to be balance.  I like the festivities but it is depressing when the decorations are in the stores months before the holiday.  It makes it so obvious that it is all about profit.

• Like 2

Not me. I dislike the time before Thanksgiving and until after New Years. Halloween, that makes me happy. I got nothing but good memories of Halloween.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Not me. I dislike the time before Thanksgiving and until after New Years. Halloween, that makes me happy. I got nothing but good memories of Halloween.

Yeah, I am the opposite, though I will not go to any shopping mall a week before thanksgiving until 2 weeks after new years.  That is just too crazy for me.  My sister in law talked me into taking the kids  to the mall a couple of weeks before christmas one year and some teenagers almost pushed my daughter and nephew down the escalator.  They were horsing around and it was so crowded they ended up hitting people in the face with their elbows.  I grabbed one by the shirt and told him to cool it or I would push him down the escalator, especially if someone got hurt.  The group then said rude things but they did calm down,  I must have made them realize I meant it.  I didn't care about anything they said.  Halloween is fun if you throw a party for the kids but trick or treat was never fun for me as a kid.

• Like 1

My grandmother died the week before Thanksgiving in 2011, so the holiday season is kinda blah for me. Plus the constant Christmas music can drive someone insane along with crazy people doing last minute shopping.

For sure they are going up too early - because of greedy sellers.

No way does seeing robins in the snow cards or santa cards make me happy when the leaves are still on the trees and I have not started getting the stove ready.

I do not like seeing christmas cards or decs in the shops so early, its depressing.

If people can not wait until christmas to feel happier, then they are missing something in their lives.

My favorite time of year is Autumn, xmas has nothing to do with it.

My childhood memories of this time of year are not of xmas decorations. 

• Like 1

I don't mind - but I do love decorating the house for Christmas.  It also helps when you have two excited boys wanting to decorate too.  Kinda gets you into the festive season. :) 

• Like 1

halloween is my fav i go batty decorating, i started sept 10th as i always do i have a thread in off topic about it, but this time of the year also has the saddness of mom, gmom and dad all passing so thankstaking and Christmas are a bit down for me,

and yeah, the stores going nuts with stuff early is comercial but thats what stores do.

• Like 2

I've noticed the exterior of peoples houses, even trees, decorated with fairy lights more and more these days, which is nice. I wonder if it could be a version of having Christmas decorations up, but all year round. It could be. 

• Like 1

I like Halloween and Thanksgiving. Christmas can wait until they are over. That's the most hectic holiday. I'm usually glad to see New Year's come and go and things calm down again.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Gwynbleidd said:

I don't mind - but I do love decorating the house for Christmas.  It also helps when you have two excited boys wanting to decorate too.  Kinda gets you into the festive season. :) 

Last year I didn't decorate and my grandson wanted a christmas tree.  His mom was going to buy a cut tree and I told her no, I need a tree in the front so I will buy a live tree.  My grandson had a good time decorating that tree.  I planted it but that was after it had been in the house for 2 months.  I did leave the burlap on the roots and I think that is why it didn't survive.  I will get another one this year and plant it correctly this time.   My dad used to buy live trees and after Christmas  he would plant them in the yard.  I have 30 foot tall juniper in the front and a 20 foot tall juniper in the back.  The pine trees only survived a few years because they were not the kind that grows naturally here.

• Like 2

I always get in a Christmas mood around September time.  Last Wednesday I drove passed a house covered in Christmas decorations.  We don't have Thanksgiving in the UK and Halloween pretty much goes by without being noticed except for the odd horror classic on TV and Simpsons Halloween special.  So the Christmas season pretty much starts at the end of Summer.  The local shops already have their Christmas shelves up and ready, the chocolate advent calendars are out, and a special Christmas deals brochure arrived in the post this morning.  The other day I flicked across the TV channels and watched Miracle on 34th Street and a few other pastime favourites.  It certainly helps us get in the mood for shopping, especially with fears of a No-deal Brexit on Halloween.

• Like 1