Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

An encounter in the woods

UM-Bot

By: Christopher | Location: McGuire A.F.B., NJ

I have never told this story, nor am I sure I ever will again. This event happened to me in the fall of 1983, just south of Camp Lenape, outside of Medford, NJ. I was about 13 or 14 at the time. I was with the Boy Scouts and refused to subscribe to "ghost or monster" stories. I grew up in a family that knew and respected nature and all that it encompassed. My family moved to NJ from McCord A.F.B. in WA, after a brief stay in PA. I grew up hearing stories of Bigfoot, or Sasquatch, whichever name is more recognizable. My father grew tired of all these stories coming from a child whose imagination was so influenced by tales of monsters in the woods generated by drunks and individuals who loved to put a little fear into kids just for giggles.

More: https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/stories/112284/an-encounter-in-the-woods

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A Jersey Devil, eh? Wow. Seeing something like that could really mess you up a bit. But I'd see it in a wider context of you were meant to see it. Great story. Very creepy. 

• Thanks 1

Sounds like a load.  Animals with hooves can't fly.  You should have called it a large bird.  That would have made the campfire story more believable.

• Confused 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/17/2019 at 11:20 PM, UM-Bot said:

By: Christopher | Location: McGuire A.F.B., NJ

More: https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/stories/112284/an-encounter-in-the-woods

Great story, but I suspect that's all it is. I certainly beleive that the guy saw something, it's just a question of what it was. Kids in the dark woods can just about imagine anything if properly motivated to do so. In my opinion that's what happened. As far as the Jersey Devil go's, until they get clear photographs of it or catch it, to me it's just a myth.

• Confused 1

• 4 weeks later...