Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Maoris ban 'barbarian' Captain Cook's ship

Eldorado

Hmm.. there appears to be just a LITTLE bit of hypocrisy here ? 

The Maori's (or rather, their local leadership) objected to the replica Endeavour docking at Mangonui, presumably because of its association with invading Europeans. 

However... however... Mangonui makes much of its money (and indeed, owes it's existence as a town) to Western Tourists. It is a tourist town/region. Without Westerners, it would be impoverished and - indeed - may not even exist ? 

I've got a few Maori mates,they are still carrying on about Captain Cook.I don't think they really know who he was,just a past down hatred for him,and they are living in Oz.

• Like 1

On 9/18/2019 at 6:05 PM, Hammerclaw said:

To the person being barbarized and brutalized, I don't think it matters if they can quote Homer and drink their grog with pinky finger extended or not. The experience is much the same.

murder and self defense, no different for a person who is killed, but those two concepts are very different.  same concept here

On 9/18/2019 at 6:23 PM, Desertrat56 said:

See, that's the thing.  The Chinese, the Mayans & the Aztecs had written language and kept written records.  The thing that everybody uses to pretend like Europeans had a more advanced civilization than any in the Americas is a lie or half truth at best.  The Europeans were not more advanced than a lot of other civilizations and in a lot of ways they were behind, in science and astronomy.  You can't argue that the Euopeans were ahead of the Chinese in any way at all.

you definitely ignore such concept as a timeline. we are interested in the timeline of captain cook,  not any timeline of any civilization that you can cherry pick, feel free to show how any other civilization of that time period were more advanced than europeans. 

10 minutes ago, aztek said:

murder and self defense, no different for a person who is killed, but those two concepts are very different.  same concept here

you definitely ignore such concept as a timeline. we are interested in the timeline of captain cook,  not any timeline of any civilization that you can cherry pick, feel free to show how any other civilization of that time period were more advanced than europeans. 

Timeline? You're talking about the heights of European colonialism, slavery, the wholesale conquest, exploitation and cultural and actual genocide perpetrated by Europeans on a global scale. Yeah, civilization in full blossom. You got it right, no one compares to them in Cook's era.

Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Timeline? You're talking about the heights of European colonialism, slavery, the wholesale conquest, exploitation and cultural and actual genocide perpetrated by Europeans on a global scale. Yeah, civilization in full blossom. You got it right, no one compares to them in Cook's era.

yes, that is pretty much what i'm talking about, 1700-1800. thjat is why i mentioned steam engines, metal ships... i did mislead with aztecs comparison, they are out of that timeline,  i was only showing them as a brutal society, not  brutal to colonized cultures, as europeans were, but brutal in everything,  to every single member of their society,  as well as their own kids,  at least that is what it looks to us.  to them it was normal everyday life.

Edited by aztek